I want to build myself a new PC very soon. My 9800 pro doesn't cut it anymore, and my mom also needs a PC (Getting this one). So the main question is, should I build it this summer. Or should I wait until DX10, Vista, and Conroe?
Personally I'd build one now. I'm gonna wait until MOST of the Vista/DX10 issues are sorted out and we get some decent hardware/games that run on Vista/DX10. It took a while before XP ironed itself out with games/hardware.
Build it now. Just because MS is making a new OS doesn't mean that you should run out and pay the Windows tax. If you do wait, it should moreso be to pick up the glut of 939 gear that will be on the used market when AM2 comes out.
i'd build now, im building a new rig this summer too, and i am not buying vista or am2 platform untill at least a year after they have been released, i men, just all the bugs and softwear issues, ill let it get patched up for a while, then go out and get it when they work better and dont have brand new hardwear prices either
There are times when it is smart to say fuck it, and build right away, and there are times it is smart to wait. Right now it is a good time to wait.
Conroe is a revolutionary new CPU architecture, it destroys both current P4s and A64s, and it will be the future upgrade path for Intel. When there is about to be a major architecture change, it is always smart to wait.
You could go the route that i went and go matx, even if you have a full tower case. If I decide to go the conroe/vista route later, ill turn this into a lan box or media center. Im afraid that the really nice matx boads/shuttles for skt 939 will dry up once the newer stuff rolls in. I would have liked to make a SFF from my skt A system, but my options sucked as far as cases and motherboards once 939 became the norm.
I'm waiting until there is a decent overclocking, well-priced, Conroe supported MB, then buying everything except for Conroe (just get a cheap pentium), unless of course, affordable Conroe chips are already out by the time my "standard" is met. My machine is reallllyy showing it's age, although it's not quite as bad as yours.
I'm hoping to get a new rig sometime early June, then move to Conroe in July/August, the MB manufacturers just need to cooperate with me .