when to alter chipset voltage

gags

n00b
When do I raise my chipset voltage?
Do i take the vocre reading from in the bios or cpu-z? both are different
whats the safe max vcore for opteron 170 on air.

temps are currently 50c load

i'm running 1.475 at 2.7 with an opty 175. My temps rarely reach 45c. Raise voltage when windows blue screens on boot, or prime runs error. In both cases, it helped reach higher stable speeds. I notice that with 1.475, my actual voltage is anywhere from 1.475 to 1.52. usually hovers right at 1.5.

I idle at 34c, load usually stays under 40, or right around. Dual prime jumps it up to about 45. Chipset is where i'm getting nipped. It jumps to 55c, i need some sort of duct going to the sink on my A8n premium. I have lots of fans but it just aint enough

Yeah i have riased vcore I;m on about chipset voltage .when do I raise this?
my current vcore is 1.5v
my chipset voltage is 1.5v

will raising this chipset vcore to 1.6v be safe? and worth doing?
Thanks

i've taken a 1.8ghz venice 3000+ to 2745mhz on stock hsf, and 2.8ghz on water, i've taken my x2 3800+ to 2.6ghz on water, i've taken my opteron 170 to 2.8ghz(when i was in a cooler climate:( ) on water, 2750mhz now. i've never had to raise chipset voltage, and i've had my "fsb" up to 311 for the venice, if that helps to put things in perspective for you....

ok cool,

so do you think 1.55 vcore is to high on air?

my temps are 54c full load prime 2 cores

i need to try 2.6ghz before this opty goes in the bin

gags said:
ok cool,

so do you think 1.55 vcore is to high on air?

my temps are 54c full load prime 2 cores

i need to try 2.6ghz before this opty goes in the bin
i did 1.6v on my venice, i've gone up to 1.6v on my x2, and i've hit 1.65v to do 2.8 on my opteron 170... but the majority of people would think its too high lol, i'm just not real scared of breaking anything, not that i have deep pockets, but i have a backup p4 rig in case anything happens, plus i still have my x2 3800+ lol... 54C sounds like a pretty good load temp to me... i'm running 47C as we speak dual F@H on this machine, with 1.53v...

gags said:
When do I raise my chipset voltage?
when you hit the mhz limit of the motherboard. this shouldn't be an issue though, as i've yet to own board in the last year that couldn't break 400mhz with stock chipset voltage.

well, my epox 9nda3j couldn't hit over 320htt afaik, but i didn't need that, as 311 was 2.8ghz on a 9x multi, and when i got my x2 it was a 10x multi...

I haven't I am just trying to get 2.6ghz

now tried 2.5ghz @1.55vcore and failed dual prime after 27mins 43 secs :(

This chip is crap!

whoever said opterons were good was telling porkies

mine is failing at 250x 10 :confused: surely im domg something wrong? :confused:

maybe its just you're cooling is poor? or maybe you just got a weak stepping? what HT ratio are you at? should be at 3x.

temps are 53-54 full load (this is well within linits)
HTT is 3x
memory on 133 divider!
vcore 1.55 and it fails at 2.5ghz

cant believe it tbh

Well, OCing is always YMMV. If you're unhappy, sell it and get a different one. I had a X2 3800+ that only did 2.4-2.5Ghz for me on air. I sold it to a guy here in the forum and he got it to 2.8Ghz with WC.

hang on bios it say vcore is

in windows its 1.55

can someone just tell me in simple terms which is correct?
thanks

probably neither. go with the one in windows unless you feel like actually measuring the voltage yourself with a multimeter :D

right this is my last attempt before i throw the thing away!

vcore in windows is 1.57

this too high on air?

temps still 53-54c full load dual prime

EDIT: do i take the vcore reading when idle or load?

now running dual prime and vcore is reading 1.51 :confused:

I need this spelling out sorry

i put my chipset at 1.6 when OCing. It does not raise temps at all for me, so a small bump isnt gonna hurt but it will alleviate any possible instabilities with the chipset...

CCBWE are mostly dual core chips. All the DC Opterons are CCBWE so far...

Budwise said:
CCBWE are mostly dual core chips. All the DC Opterons are CCBWE so far...

lol I know they are DC I wanted to know what they clock like. :D

since all the DC Opty's are CCBWE, they clock very differently from each other. What you need to look at is the entire line of info. Not just stepping, but week, and code. Stepping alone doesnt usually tell you much..

In my last ditch attempt to get to 2.6ghz I have just flashed to the latest epox bios.

However guess what happened?

It will not save cpu frequency settings on reboot.Its just defaults back to stock :confused:

Flashed back to the second latest bios and it was fine.

Anyone with this mobo DO NOT GET THE LATEST BIOS :

9npa5c06.bin (06 Dec 2005)

It does not save settings properly.Anyone with this mobo by all means try and prove me wrong but I tried twice now mine and a friends mobo.

Can someone tell me in simple terms how I burn in?
Please :)

Elysian said:
maybe its just you're cooling is poor? or maybe you just got a weak stepping? what HT ratio are you at? should be at 3x.

My 175 is at 2.7 with HT 4x. What is the reason for setting 3x? I figured i could get a higher clock with htt at 4, and less HTT

RegisteredToPost said:
My 175 is at 2.7 with HT 4x. What is the reason for setting 3x? I figured i could get a higher clock with htt at 4, and less HTT
you're running your HT link out of spec. it is not a good idea to go over 1000... but if yours is prime stable go for it.

i'm not over 1000
newbitmapimage5bd.jpg

270? huh? I dont think i quite understand the HT multiplier and frequency. Wouldn't it be best to get the HT frequency as close to 1000mhz as possible? I lowered the multi to 3x and got my machine to boot at 2695. 735, before at 4x, it was at 960 or something, but cpu speed was a tad lower. Priming now but i dont expect it to pass. Default, what is the HT multi?

1000mhz. it has NO effect on performance whatsoever, unless you have a multi-socket server board ;)

ok, well i primed at 2695, and it failed after three tests. It did this before with 4x. cpu temp is higher at 3x Timings are currently 3 4 4 10. When relaxing timings, where is the best to start? change to 3 4 5 10 and see if that gets me anywhere? Originally they were 3 3 3 8 i think. I'm a noob to O/c as you can tell. Any suggestions? I'm happy with 2.7 but not sure how to get it running stable. Cpu voltage is 1.475 and i dont think thats the problem

don't bother going over 3-4-4. if you have to, drop down the memory divider instead.

I'm going to call it good at 2650 or so. I'm worried about the chipset temperature, and the A8n has a heatpipe, so i cant really do anything with that (w/o major hassle). Its fine, single prime but dual it jumps to 51-53. Dropping cpu volts, and HTT trying to get temperature better.

Who knows what stock ht multi opterons run at?

ht multi? 5x for 1000mhz. just keep the final ht link speed at or under 1000mhz when oc'ing :D

Back