weasel2htm

Limp Gawd
When the Server room A/C Goes down

LOTS OF FANS!!!!!!!! 7 in all

Server room door
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/Storage/fans1.JPG

I removed a drop Ceiling tile, and placed two fans blowing straight up
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/Storage/fans2.JPG

I've been here for an hour, the temp has dropped from 85F to 75F thankfully maintenance was aware of the problem and propped the door open, otherwise it would have been well over 90

Last time this happened I went to the gym and got a big barrell fan and placed in the door, but the gym is un use :(

I had a server room shoot up past 90. We where taking temperature readings via an infrared thermometer. The wall behind the servers was over 120. Let's just say the servers where not happy.

At least you can lift the cieling tiles without some huge critter coming down.

What you need is one of thsoe portable ac units. We have used them a few times before.

I remeber when we had some one trying to destoy our servers... they put the climate control to full heat. The wood table tops where too hot to put your hands on, gits.

I feel your pain, we recently had an issue just like this in our CO. The AC went out and we had $1.5 million sitting there with no AC and all we could do was open the door and pump outside air in. Before we opened the door the ambient air temperature was sitting right at 145 degrees....we were within 0.8 degrees of our core switch initiating a shutdown due to temperature overage...internal core temperature was something like 190-200 degrees F. I feel your pain!!!

I feel your pain, we recently had an issue just like this in our CO. The AC went out and we had $1.5 million sitting there with no AC and all we could do was open the door and pump outside air in. Before we opened the door the ambient air temperature was sitting right at 145 degrees....we were within 0.8 degrees of our core switch initiating a shutdown due to temperature overage...internal core temperature was something like 190-200 degrees F. I feel your pain!!!

That's the point where you just wish the entire server room would just go into an enferno blaze and the company would have bigger issues to deal with.

Yeah, needless to say they now listen when I want to spend more than the bare minimum on AC unit's for server rooms! And they approved my environmental monitoring equipment pretty quickly too...odd how that works.

This all happened with some other issues, apparently lightning took out the main transformer, all kinds of crazy stuff was going on light were blinking on and off, I was told it looked like disco lights and most of the other A/C units were messed up.

This all happened with some other issues, apparently lightning took out the main transformer, all kinds of crazy stuff was going on light were blinking on and off, I was told it looked like disco lights and most of the other A/C units were messed up.

Last time this happened to us we picked up something like this

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=234229-80003-PACL90&lpage=none

Really helped make a difference. Only works in smaller rooms though.

i got you all topped, i think.

I will get pics maybe but have OLD DRAIN PIPES CROSSING OUR SERVER ROOM!!!

last summer after a freak thunder storm we had almost 2 inches of water in the server room, but thank god for racks with wheels

i got you all topped, i think.

I will get pics maybe but have OLD DRAIN PIPES CROSSING OUR SERVER ROOM!!!

last summer after a freak thunder storm we had almost 2 inches of water in the server room, but thank god for racks with wheels

I did some consulting work for a company that had an issue like this, the roof on their building was horribly designed when the building was built and they were putting a data center in. The buliding was an old warehouse so it had very high ceiling's so before we put walls up they put a second roof in just over the data center that would make the water flow into the hallway in the event that the original room leaked. Finished the data center and 2 months later they had a water main break that ran over the data center, the secondary roof over the data center saved the day, flooded the hallway and a few offices but not a drop of water got into the data center.

I did some consulting work for a company that had an issue like this, the roof on their building was horribly designed when the building was built and they were putting a data center in. The buliding was an old warehouse so it had very high ceiling's so before we put walls up they put a second roof in just over the data center that would make the water flow into the hallway in the event that the original room leaked. Finished the data center and 2 months later they had a water main break that ran over the data center, the secondary roof over the data center saved the day, flooded the hallway and a few offices but not a drop of water got into the data center.

yah but did you rub it in :D

What you need is one of thsoe portable ac units. We have used them a few times before.

ya no kidding, if our AC failed(although it's 2 seperate units for redundancy) we'd have portables in there in about 2 minutes. We'd buy out lowes stock at all 3 locations if we had too.

About half our shit runs on blades (citrix boxen).

If one of the air conditioners dies we have about two hours to fix it. If both of them die, I'm told that the blades will thermal off inside of 10 minutes and everything else will crash and burn within the next 30 minutes.

Not something I ever want to deal with... Not even the least bit curious.

A while back a local ISP had their Air conditioner stolen...yeah...you read that right. And it pretty much downed their server room.

Why would you pinch the A/C when you can have the servers? Dumbfucks.

Why would you pinch the A/C when you can have the servers? Dumbfucks.

because people would notice the server was not running straight away, missing aircon will take a while to be noticed.

because people would notice the server was not running straight away, missing aircon will take a while to be noticed.

Actually I'd guess it was because the AC unit was outside and the Servers were in a locked room. Too each his own.

Wow I haven't checked this in awhile, thankfully our part of the high school is always cold for some reason so the fans usually work pretty good. If we ever get into a pinch I do have some high velocity fans here at home I could grab, either that or grab a barrell fan from another building

We only have limited worried with our aircon. Both server rooms are cooled by 5 aircon units, 4 always on and one for redundancy. The only trouble is one of the rooms has windows which catch the summer sun... so they do have to work kinda hard!!

Not yet had more than one fail on my watch, thankfully!

We had 2 of 3 chillers fail due to flooding issues in Ohio two weeks ago. It was a race to see if we could get the 258 test and dev servers down fast enough to keep any of the production servers from shutting down on their overheat settings.

We didn't get approval from the client to not follow all special shutdown instructions, so we couldn't just use a script to drop everything. We had to log in and shut each down manually sending the normal email notifications and calling the business app owners.

Kept five of us busy for 3 hours...

In the UK we have different air conditioning, it's a window cheap and economical. (except the huge iron grille to stop the local crackheads pinching stuff)

In the UK we have different air conditioning, it's a window cheap and economical. (except the huge iron grille to stop the local crackheads pinching stuff)

Not me and I'm in the North West of England!

I just had a new system installed in my room, in my last place we had the biggest air con you have ever seen! (It did chill 198 hotel rooms, 12 offices, a huge glass atrium and my server room. It was BIG! The UPS was as big as a room with cells about 4 feet tall)

Heh the IT group before the one we have used the buildings AC. It got out of hand so we got our personal unit on the roof installed. Its better..Til we got the Citrix Farm. Now we have 2 portable rented units, as well as our own on the roof.

We got a call one night, the server room was 140*. The building is an autonomous system, so it controls itself..yeah it sucked ass. All it was was a sensor failed, shutting down the AC Units.

Were moving the data center from the 3rd floor to the 2nd, and we have 3 AC units approved for us, along with some hot air ducting, etc.

Have you guys ever used autonomous power shutdown? Stuff like Servertech/Netbotz?

... Except that we are in the middle of the building :(

One more thing about the lights, the lights are on 277 three phase, I guess the lightning only blew one phase of the transformer or something. A few months ago, the whole building had to be shut down for some electrical upgrades/maintenance and when they started turning stuff off the florescent lights were blinking, it looked like a Disco or a Rave, it was sweet!
We had advanced notice and had already shut down all the servers and switches as the batteries would not be able to hold them long enough.

Back