When should i replace my i5 2500K

Replace it....

A ) When your cpu doesn't run the games, apps, etc.. you want, at the speeds you want.
B ) When your cpu / rig is starting to have random hardware related problems.
C ) When you get the "itch" to upgrade.

I'm still running my 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, even though I have a brand new 3570K / board combo sitting here. It might sit here for a while because the 4790K for $249 @ MicroCenter pretty tempting.

3 years as of this Christmas for my 2500k @ 4.7ghz 1.4v. Not a peep :D. Though its only on for a max of 12 hours per day. OP I would overclock it, our processors are still a heck of a CPU, even today.

Is it that my GTX 780 holding me back when it comes to playing games at ultra settings and i get slowdowns? or is it just poorly coded games, and whats the point of overclocking over 4Ghz it what may get me another 2 FPS at the risk of doing something to my CPU even with good cooling? I shouldn;t have gotten a 600$ GPU almost 6 month ago i should have known better that this would have happened. Maybe i should get a monitor that does 120Hz and then my card could run at more than 60FPS? I just feel stupid for dropping that kinda money on a video card now..

Really? hmm should i go atleast 1600? or more if my mobo can support it?

It's the only thing besides motherboard in your system that isn't pretty close to par with 2014 upper mid range gaming rigs. Your mobo should support up to 2133mhz. 16gb of low latency 2133 is running ~$130 this week.

Now, it probably won't blow your socks off, but you should be able to run that rig for a year or two more just fine.

It's the only thing besides motherboard in your system that isn't pretty close to par with 2014 upper mid range gaming rigs. Your mobo should support up to 2133mhz. 16gb of low latency 2133 is running ~$130 this week.

Now, it probably won't blow your socks off, but you should be able to run that rig for a year or two more just fine.

Well for xmas it seems like my wife is going to let me get a new mobo(z77) chipset) and DDR3 1600Mhz memory.

That does not mean his CPU will handle this overclock. Remember that the i5 2500K officially supports up to DDR3 1333 at 1.5V. Any memory speed above this is an overclock of the memory controller on the CPU so your mileage will vary.

I did a search in this forum to determine if a CPU upgrade from an overclocked 2500k is worth it.

Currently running a 2500k at 4.7Ghz on a Z77 board and just upgraded to a R9 290 (4GB). So a MB+CPU upgrade wouldn't really be worth it for the new video card? Was thinking along the lines of a i5/i7-47xx.

I did a search in this forum to determine if a CPU upgrade from an overclocked 2500k is worth it.

Currently running a 2500k at 4.7Ghz on a Z77 board and just upgraded to a R9 290 (4GB). So a MB+CPU upgrade wouldn't really be worth it for the new video card? Was thinking along the lines of a i5/i7-47xx.

Nope not worth it. It won't be until 2016 that you'll see an Intel CPU that'll be worth buying over your current CPU. SO you still have a solid year to year and a half left on your system.

Nope not worth it. It won't be until 2016 that you'll see an Intel CPU that'll be worth buying over your current CPU. SO you still have a solid year to year and a half left on your system.

That's hard to believe yet amazing. I've had the 2500k now since 2011 so an upgrade in 2016 would mean 5 years of Sandy Bridge goodness.

I have been running my sig rig since June of 2012 and 100% load 24/7 (except when gaming, which is ironic since that loads the system less:rolleyes:) so come December that will be ~21K hours @ 4.8 and then 5Ghz (custom water the entire time) @ well over the stock Vcore..

The only replacement (CPU/MB wise) was swapping my ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 for the MSI Z77 MPower, which was honestly a huge let down..The Extreme4 was stupidly simple to dial in the 4.8Ghz OC I ran on it..It actually left me disappointed I had such little "tweak factor" out of it...

The MPower on the other hand took a solid week to get to my definition of "fully stable" (which is much more stressful then 99% of the people here) and then another 2 weeks to get to 5Ghz..Had MSI gone with a fully digital PWM setup like everyone else, including the Extreme4, instead of the hybrid setup it would have been much easier, but I know they designed the board for World Record LN2 OC'ing.

OP, crank that CPU to to 4.5Ghz (98% of the 2500Ks reach this speed @ 1.4V or less) and and try running the ram @ 9-9-9 1600 and that should raise your minimum frame rates up a good bit, which will turn increase the average FPS and give you a "smoother" gaming experience..

I wouldn't waste money on buying a new Z77 MB and faster ram at this point, unless you have a ton of spare cash..You would be better off investing in a second used 780 on the cheap and running everything @ Ultra settings @ 60FPS+ nonstop..

That's hard to believe yet amazing. I've had the 2500k now since 2011 so an upgrade in 2016 would mean 5 years of Sandy Bridge goodness.
Sounds about right. Intel hasn't really made massive CPU IPC improvements with each successive CPU generation release (due to both technological/engineering issus and the relative lack of effective competition from AMD) hence why the 2500K has been able to hold its own. A 2016 upgrade also means cheaper and possibly faster DDR4 RAM.

Here is anandtech comparing DDR3 between 1333mhz and 3000mhz and showing that it does absolutely jack shit in games. Stop spreading bad information.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/7

The 2500k is as fast (assuming similar clocks), or within 95% of any CPU, in games. If you are experiencing any slowdown it is a shitty port or you need more GPU. A z77 motherboard will not make any difference over 67.

Just like many of the other users have mentioned. Just keep your 2500k. If you have it overclocked that is even better. There is pretty much little difference between the 2500k and even the newer haswell processors. Some games may act a bit differently between the 2, but for the most part it'll keep up with 95% of the games that are out at the moment.

I would say wait a bit longer until something that really good comes and actually makes a pretty significant impact on computing.

I have had my 2500k for at least 3 years now. I keep it overclocked at around 4.2ghz and it runs everything I throw at it along with my GTX 970. I have honestly no need to replace the cpu yet, I myself am waiting for a very big architecture change or something that'll actually significantly impact framerate in games to come out.

I guess specifically LeninGHOLA after reviewing the thread. I thought there was more than one person advising him that moving to faster ram would make a difference in game performance or future proof his rig.

I guess specifically LeninGHOLA after reviewing the thread. I thought there was more than one person advising him that moving to faster ram would make a difference in game performance or future proof his rig.
Gotcha.

We're slowly getting there but we're finally to start to beat into people's heads that faster RAM doesn't really matter with Intel.

2500k is still pretty good Obviously.... Except the cool peoples are still just rocking X58 rofl

Back