When SB drops, what motherboard to get for 2600k?

so is that where the price of the ud5 should be based on early reports ?
i'm getting excited about sb. 2600k at 3.4 out of the box sounds wiked. and if early reports are anything to go by, this chip will overclock like a beast.

Saw the UD5 @ Fry's for $269.99 yesterday.

i'm deciding between these two boards and right now i'm leaning towards asus - EFI is a big selling point to me. my only concern with this board is the proximity of the heatsinks to the cpu socket. i'm wondering if they will interfere with large aftermarket coolers. and i'm fighting with the fact that the Gigabyte board looks better...absolutely meaningless but it's still a nagging thought :D

Pardon my ignoranCE but what is EFI

Hm, may go for Asus P8P67 Pro instead, EFI is nice and it costs less than the UD4 while providing 8x/8x 2.0 PCI-E SLI performance yet same rough feature set otherwise... I can get it for $180 shipped vs. $210 or so for the Gigabyte P67A-UD4.

i'm deciding between these two boards and right now i'm leaning towards asus - EFI is a big selling point to me. my only concern with this board is the proximity of the heatsinks to the cpu socket. i'm wondering if they will interfere with large aftermarket coolers. and i'm fighting with the fact that the Gigabyte board looks better...absolutely meaningless but it's still a nagging thought :D

Hehe, you're not alone. Those asus boards are pretty ugly. EFI > looks, IMO.

Good point about the heatsinks, though... That VRM heatsink (the one that looks like the sydney opera house) does look pretty freaking big. The only pic is angled, so it's really hard to see exactly how big that sucker is.

Hehe, you're not alone. Those asus boards are pretty ugly. EFI > looks, IMO.

Good point about the heatsinks, though... That VRM heatsink (the one that looks like the sydney opera house) does look pretty freaking big. The only pic is angled, so it's really hard to see exactly how big that sucker is.

just ordered the Asus P8P67 Pro from Superbiiz for $181 shipped ($10 off coupon code byebye2010...expires 1/3/11). i'm happy with my purchase :)

Awesome. Thanks for the coupon code.

P8P67 Pro ordered. Yeehaw! Here's hoping SB really goes on sale tomorrow. All my other parts are ordered :D

I'm in the same boat as you on Asus P8P67 boards since I already have Megahelms. I don't think I can install a fan on the DIMM side if I want to use all 4 slots. And, I'm not sure if the heatsinks on the opposite side will get in the way of the fan.

I like the Asus over the Gigabyte due to the 2 extra onboard SATA2 ports and the UEFI.

if you read this review: http://bjorn3d.com/articles/ASUS_P67_Motherboards_P8P67_Deluxe_and_P8P67_Pro/1973.html, they keep praising the PRO for it's low profile heatsinks.
The Pro board's heatsink is also very low in height, and will not create clearance issues for large CPU heatsinks or tall memory heatspreaders.

i'm still undecided, but i'm leaning towards picking up the Noctua NH-U12P. i'd appreciate some suggestions here though. it seems to be universally regarded as good cooler and according to this review:
The overclocking testing was accomplished with the Intel DHX-B tower cooler and, even with some big volts, the temperatures did not climb higher than the low 80s when using above 1.45v. By using my standard testbed cooling, the Noctua NH-U12P, they never came out of the 60s Celsius.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if you read this review: http://bjorn3d.com/articles/ASUS_P67_Motherboards_P8P67_Deluxe_and_P8P67_Pro/1973.html, they keep praising the PRO for it's low profile heatsinks.

i'm still undecided, but i'm leaning towards picking up the Noctua NH-U12P. i'd appreciate some suggestions here though. it seems to be universally regarded as good cooler and according to this review:

I've been using the U12P for about 9 months and it's been FANTASTIC. The mounting hardware is by far the easiest I've ever used, the NF-P12's are barely audible but super efficient and it comes w/ very good thermal paste. Highly recommended...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just as an FYI for people who don't have a heatsink already... the Sandy Bridge 2500K/2600K come with a pretty decent tower cooler (the one that Porter's quote mentions) :). It supposedly is good for low 70's load temps @ 1.35v-ish on a 4.4-4.6ghz OC for these chips per the reviews I've seen :). Just a nice thing to know if you're trying to save some cash.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Core-i72600K-and-i52500K-Processors-Debut/?page=7

We spent some time tweaking our Core i7-2600K using the stock Intel high-performance cooler and an Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard and were easily able to hit a rock-solid and perfectly stable peak frequency of 4.57GHz. We achieved this speed by increasing the CPU voltage to 1.35v, with a multiplier of 44 and a BCLK of 104MHz. With more tweaking, we're certain higher clocks will be possible.

Last edited:
I noticed a few review sites overclocking the BCLK as well. Is there any point in trying to push the BCLK? Why risk corruption when you are talking only 4 or 5%? Has anyone seen a higher BCLK overclock than that?

I noticed a few review sites overclocking the BCLK as well. Is there any point in trying to push the BCLK? Why risk corruption when you are talking only 4 or 5%? Has anyone seen a higher BCLK overclock than that?

BCLK of more than a few mhz usually causes massive instabilities and glitches on these cpus, so it's not really a fool proof way.

i think it's being used strictly for incremental overclocking - in other words if you find that 4.6 Ghz is stable but 4.7 Ghz is not, tweak the BCLK to 101 Mhz x 46 = 4.65 Ghz and see if you can squeeze out that last bit of overclocking headroom.

I've been using the U12P for about 9 months and it's been FANTASTIC. The mounting hardware is by far the easiest I've ever used, the NF-P12's are barely audible but super efficient and it comes w/ very good thermal paste. Highly recommended...

thanks for your thoughts, it sounds like a great cooler. i just need to (somehow) ensure i won't have clearance issues with my ram before i pull the trigger.

Where is the Asus P8P67 Pro/Deluxe in stock??

go to Google Shopping and search "P8P67" and a few different retailers pop up with Asus boards in stock. i placed my order with Superbiiz late last night, hasn't been shipped yet.

Yeah a sort of stabilizer like how some guys tweak the pci-e clock to say 101 or 102.

thanks for your thoughts, it sounds like a great cooler. i just need to (somehow) ensure i won't have clearance issues with my ram before i pull the trigger.

what ram are you looking at? I use Corsair Dominator w/ the tall heatsinks, it's tight but I don't have any clearance issues.

haven't chosen yet (still reviewing Asus's QVL list), but the dimm slots look awfully close on the P67 mobos. maybe i should take a look at pics of your mobo and see if the spacing looks similar.

BCLK of more than a few mhz usually causes massive instabilities and glitches on these cpus, so it's not really a fool proof way.

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering why people are even bothering. Seems risky for just a percent or four.

Asus P8P67 Pro/Deluxe or the Gigabyte UD5 ?

2600K OC'ing to high 4.8Ghz+, Corsair H70, Corsair Vengeance sticks, and potentially x-fire'd 6950's.

No need to go crazy with socket 1356 around the corner. A 150-200$ Gigabyte or Asus will do me just fine until then.

No need to go crazy with socket 1356 around the corner. A 150-200$ Gigabyte or Asus will do me just fine until then.

Thinking the exact same thing.

Was looking at the Gigabyte UD4 - Want to run a ATI 6970 at x16 and a PCI-E soundcard - I'm right in thinking I can have the Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium (requires a PCI-E x1) in the Motherboards PCI-E x1 slot and my ATI 6970 in the x16 - just don't use the x8 PCI-E slot and the x16 will run at full?

I'm just not sure if I should go all out now and pass up LGA2011 - aka X'Fired 6970's + 2600k or cheaper single 6970, 2600k and cheaper Motherboard?

Only interests are gaming tbh.

Thinking the exact same thing.

Was looking at the Gigabyte UD4 - Want to run a ATI 6970 at x16 and a PCI-E soundcard - I'm right in thinking I can have the Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium (requires a PCI-E x1) in the Motherboards PCI-E x1 slot and my ATI 6970 in the x16 - just don't use the x8 PCI-E slot and the x16 will run at full?

I'm just not sure if I should go all out now and pass up LGA2011 - aka X'Fired 6970's + 2600k or cheaper single 6970, 2600k and cheaper Motherboard?

Only interests are gaming tbh.

yes you are correct, you can run a 6970 in one of the x16 slot at x16, and your X-Fi in an x1 slot. if you're thinking of going 'all out' on LGA1155 you may want to look at the UD7 mobo as it allows x16/x16 sli and crossfire (UD4 will only allow x8/x8). one of the reviews said they predicted the PCI Express lanes could be saturated at x8. i have no idea if there is any truth to this. i'm not worried enough to justify the more expensive mobo's, my ASUS P8P67 PRO will operate at x8/x8 should i ever decide to go multi gpu.

Correct per current info.

I'm looking at an Asus P8P67 Pro... :). Seems to be an inexpensive mix of good features & EFI BIOS :D.

the software package that comes with that ASUS board looks very nice as well. the Turbo V EVO utility allows for overclocking while in Windows, and the system monitoring utility (Probe II) looks very nice. you can read more about it here if you haven't already :) i think a lot of the other manufacturers have similar software packages.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AoHE7iDJrYucOm0n&templete=2

I am surprised that more people are not talking about this motherboard. I still have not found a site with any mention of a price yet.

Source ---> http://legitreviews.com/article/1500/1/

ASUS Full ATX Intel P67 Chipset Motherboards
P8P67 ~$160
P8P67 PRO ~190
P8P67 EVO ~210
P8P67 Deluxe ~235
SABERTOOTHP67 ~$219
P8P67 WS SC ~$259
Maximus IV Extreme ~365
ASUS Micro-ATX Intel P67 and H67 Chipset Motherboards
P8P67-M PRO ~$149
P8H67-M EVO ~$129
ASUS Mini-ITX Intel P67 and H67 Chipset Motherboards
P8H67-I Deluxe (Price is yet to be determined.)

Yeah my sentiments exactly. I remember my tpower i45 had a molex on the board in addition to the 12v and atx power. Was apparantly an undocumented extra juice for the pcie slots in crossfire.

Maximus IV Extreme ~365

I was mainly looking at it for the extra PCIe lanes from the NVIDIA NF200 and the extra 16x slot. $365 is out of my price range though. Based on price and features I will probably go with the P8P67 DELUXE.

Last edited:
yes you are correct, you can run a 6970 in one of the x16 slot at x16, and your X-Fi in an x1 slot. if you're thinking of going 'all out' on LGA1155 you may want to look at the UD7 mobo as it allows x16/x16 sli and crossfire (UD4 will only allow x8/x8). one of the reviews said they predicted the PCI Express lanes could be saturated at x8. i have no idea if there is any truth to this. i'm not worried enough to justify the more expensive mobo's, my ASUS P8P67 PRO will operate at x8/x8 should i ever decide to go multi gpu.

I'm just gonna go 2500k with a cheaper mobo and go socket 2011 with ivy bridge in 12 months, which is how long I think it will take for intel to release them.. I don't think they will be in any hurry unless bulldozer releases 8 core parts at good prices before then.

No need to go for the high end, I've been enlightened to the fact that the nforce chip is useless with this chipset.. ultimately the cards will have to go through those 16 lanes no matter what, so the nforce 200 really does nothing to help. Those 32 lanes end up having to go through 16, because that's what the processor/chipset provide.

Back