When It Comes to Voice Identification, the “NSA Reigns Supreme”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A report by The Intercept wants you to forget about all of the accolades that Siri, Alexa, and other modern speaker recognition services have been receiving, as the NSA has been playing that game since 2006 with technologies far more advanced. Snowden-leaked documents discuss techniques such as voiceprinting, which offers near-instantaneous identification.

The classified documents, dating from 2004 to 2012, show the NSA refining increasingly sophisticated iterations of its speaker recognition technology. They confirm the uses of speaker recognition in counterterrorism operations and overseas drug busts. And they suggest that the agency planned to deploy the technology not just to retroactively identify spies like Pelton but to prevent whistleblowers like Snowden.

Are there not synthetic voice aps? If not seems like a money maker now. (I have an old flip phone, no aps, maybe that's what the criminals use too?)

This is quite true, and existed prior to 2004. Lucent Technologies / Bell Labs in Lisle/Naperville, IL was working on the technology for quite a while. Not only could they recognize voice, but completely spoof someone's voice, location, and phone number very accurately. A friend of mine described the project engineers having prank called each other using their own spoofed voices, fooling wives and family members.

Hmm, either a synthetic voice(TTS), or a voice changer with a buffer of a couple seconds long that changes the length of the sound at random in order to disguise your cadence... i guess that it should be enough :p...

Yeah exactly what we want, too much power, centralised in an agency that answers to nobody, and can get literally anything thanks to National Security Letters.

Are you aware it's illegal to even tell anyone you've received an NSL?

Back