When is windows XP going to drop in price?

Generally, I doubt there will be a price drop. I've never seen it happen in the past, although there may be some special sales from Staples or something. They have been known to do that.

blah i'm not paying more then $50 for an operating system...i'm quite surprised at how many people on these forums have no problem at all with MS..

Windows 2000 didnt drop in price for a loooong time after XP came out

MS knows that there are tons of users that still want the old OSes....

blah i'm not paying more then $50 for an operating system...i'm quite surprised at how many people on these forums have no problem at all with MS..

People pay $15 a month for game subscriptions, but they won't pay $200 - $400 for 5+ years ($3 - $7 per month) for the operating system that allows them to not only play that game, but use every other application on their computer?

Heck, cut out one Double Tall Nonfat Mocha a month... there you go - boom - Windows Vista.

Then what OS do you use? Linux? No thanks - I have no problem paying the 100 bones for XP because it works and runs just about everything.

M$ isn't going to see a penny from me until they decide to lower their prices to something reasonable....why support the monopoly?

I forget most ppl on these forums are rich and blow their money on anything they want though.

M$ isn't going to see a penny from me until they decide to lower their prices to something reasonable....why support the monopoly?

I forget most ppl on these forums are rich and blow their money on anything they want though.

I'm not an MS loyalist or anything, but Vista is the first MS OS to see a price increase since Windows 3.1. I always thought the prices were fairly reasonable - especially since you can get OEM versions easily.

Either way, I'm sure MS will somehow manage to stay in business even though they will not see a penny from you. :D

Like 3.0 GHz P4 Cedar Mill 65nm CPUs?
Or 1.0 GB Kingston Value RAM?
Or ATI x850 XT AGP w/ Viewsonic VA1912wb LCD monitors?
Or ECS P4M800PRO-M (CRAP)?

How much did you blow on that ATi X850 XT? How many years is it going to last you? How much $$$ per day of use is that?

Just saying... think about it...

I'm not an MS loyalist or anything, but Vista is the first MS OS to see a price increase since Windows 3.1. I always thought the prices were fairly reasonable - especially since you can get OEM versions easily.

Either way, I'm sure MS will somehow manage to stay in business even though they will not see a penny from you. :D

I completely agree... the prices are reasonable since you can get ahold of the OEM.

Its never gonna drop. Its going to be sold until the end of the year, then completely discontinued unless your an OEM. Then its special order.

wont drop for awhile. but i'm sure sales will come along that you can get great deals for.

People pay $15 a month for game subscriptions, but they won't pay $200 - $400 for 5+ years ($3 - $7 per month) for the operating system that allows them to not only play that game, but use every other application on their computer?

Heck, cut out one Double Tall Nonfat Mocha a month... there you go - boom - Windows Vista.

yes people do pay £15/month for game subs, Likewise people pay £1000/week on hookers
There is no indication that the OP is a game-subcriber so please, please tell me and others why think that arguement (strawman at that) is valid?

and again to completly dismiss that stupid arguement (AGAIN!!!) yes people might be able to pay the £15/month subs, but how the hell can you be so arrogant to assume that they can afford the subs AND a new OS?
I am paying monthly payments on a Ford-Focus, by yours (Stupid!!!) arguement I should continue to pay the Ford-focus payments AND buy complete new roads? How the hell does that add up!!!!

Worst arguement EVER!!!!

also lets break it down since you seem to have a grasp of accounting that is beaten by a 5yo
Vista-Home-Prem cost £200 (and thats OEM!!!! not full so not even including the extra stuff needed to satify OEM sales). WoW cost £15/month
Alice play WoW and subs it with her pocket-money (the majority of which goes to WoW).
Vista comes out now should she?

a) buy vista at £200 (plus whatever else... could be upto £300 just for Vist-Home-Prem OEM)
That would involve her cancelling her subs and saveing her pocket-money for 13months before she could start playing WoW again
or
b) continue playing WoW now at £15/month (something her budget is use to)

After all my expenses (rent,bills, payments, student-loans...) ON a good month I am left with £150, that's not even enough to get Home-prem (and I don't subsribe to games)
I had saved for 5years to re-build my new-PC (with alot of overtime to pay for it in the final 3months). This was built for home and for work.
It was build in Oct last year, a time when Vista wasn't around (luckly I have the retail copy of XP so just transfered it - since sold old hardware). Am I going to buy a 1/2 supported OS right now? NO! it is 1/2 supported and cost too much. I will re-examine when SP1 comes out)

so please, please tell me why I should get Vista (esp when its hardware support is worse then Linux)
please go on I am really asking you or are you going to pull that dumb-ass "People pay $15 a month for game subscriptions, but they won't pay $200 - $400 for 5+ years)
Speaking of which how the hell do you know that Vista will last 5+ years!!!
98didn't, MEdidn't. 2000didn't!!!

Vista was late (to fix XP security issues). Now the MS code-machine is back on track the next OS is prob going to be in 3years, thus bumping up yr "monthly sub" arguement
Speaking of which WTF is with quoting things in per-monthly basis!! Vista is a one-off lump sum payment! you DO NOT go into a shop and start a 5year payment plan of £3/month for VISTA! that is even more stupid then your entire arguement

Vista (home prem) cost £200 ! not £2/month, not £4/2month £200 flat out!

I'm not an MS loyalist or anything, but Vista is the first MS OS to see a price increase since Windows 3.1.

Keep in mind that the price increase is only on Ultimate, as well, which is a new SKU (as opposed to Business, which is an upgrade from Pro, etc).

Vista-Home-Prem cost £200 (and thats OEM!!!! not full so not even including the extra stuff needed to satify OEM sales).

Ermmm, perhaps you're looking in different places than me, but I'm seeing it around 68GBP here at amazon.co.uk. I'm also seeing the upgrade version there at 135GBP. The only thing there close to 200GBP (and it's still a few pounds less) is the full ultimate package.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It won't. I don't recall MS ever dropping a price on software.

XP will simply go the way of the Dodo, full price to the end.

You may find some places clearing out old OEM copies at a discount, but they are probably losing money on them if they do.

What price increase?

An on paper price increase only, a real world no change or decrease if you consider OEM versions which were not available to the general public when XP was released.

When XP came out I paid $190 for the retail XP Pro upgrade now you can get the retail Vista Business Upgrade for $192 online… a $2 increase but when factored for inflation a actual real dollar decrease of 20%+. AND I can buy Vista Business OEM for $150.

There has been no actual price increase.

It is amusing to hear people complain about the cost of Windows… my $190 XP Pro upgrade has been in use for almost 5 ½ years at a per year cost of less than $35, and that annual cost decreases every day I use it from now on.

Boy howdy MS really screwed me… less than a penny a day they charged me for XP Pro. I feel soooo used. :)

Boy howdy MS really screwed me… less than a penny a day they charged me for XP Pro. I feel soooo used. :)

and I take it you can provide 5years worth of bank statements to show that MS took less then a penny from your bank account to pay for XP over these 5years!

You want a monopoly? How about buying a Mac, where one company controls the OS and ALL, repeat ALL of the hardware? Common sense....not always so common.

Most people on here have no problem paying for something that they use all the time, everyday. Vista is only expensive to those either to lazy or too ignorant to search around for a good price. The cost is relative, and if it's considered in the broad scope, it's not very expensive.

generally the people complaining about vista are the same ones warezing it up. it's funny someone can afford a top of the line video card no problem, but a vista home basic upgrade of $98 is an outrage!

Most people on here have no problem paying for something that they use all the time, everyday. Vista is only expensive to those either to lazy or too ignorant to search around for a good price. The cost is relative, and if it's considered in the broad scope, it's not very expensive.

ok stop right there!!!
I am neither lazy or ignorant when it comes to me not buying Vista

Why? I do not buy an MS operating system before SP1 (something I learnt from two different sysadmins of big systems) and I will not buy it either before that time (good thing is SP1 is due out ~Aug).

Likewise I have asked a few times here and have NOT had a response to the OEM-perchase of Vista (only way I "could" afford it) so again unless the whole price (as in what would go onto the card) is know, only a FOOL would commit before knowing

OEM needs to be bought/sold with a piece of hardware critical to the system. XP could be sold with a Power-splitter, WHAT is the minimal that Vista can be sold with? there was word that MS was upping the requirement

Why would it come down in price? It's not like a high end video card from three years ago that can't perform as well now as it did when it first came to market. XP doesn't lose value over the years, if anything it's gained value because of updates, more software, ubiquity, etc.

Go down in price... what a quaint albeit silly idea... :p

OEM can be purchased as a standalone product. Resourceful users can migrate it to a new machine, but they are doing so without a legal license, despite the fact that it'll work just fine.

Retail upgrades provide a migrateable and legal license. For home (non-commercial) use an Academic Upgrade retail copy is just as inexpensive as OEM, and also provides a migratable and legal license.

I'll echo the claim about "too lazy or too ignorant to search around for a good price."

and I take it you can provide 5years worth of bank statements to show that MS took less then a penny from your bank account to pay for XP over these 5years!

No… don't have to I can do simple math.

$190 divided by 2000 days (approx 5 ½ years) = $0.095

Or less than one penny a day.

ok stop right there!!!
Likewise I have asked a few times here and have NOT had a response to the OEM-perchase of Vista (only way I "could" afford it) so again unless the whole price (as in what would go onto the card) is know, only a FOOL would commit before knowing

OEM needs to be bought/sold with a piece of hardware critical to the system. XP could be sold with a Power-splitter, WHAT is the minimal that Vista can be sold with? there was word that MS was upping the requirement

Uh… no.

You can go to Newegg and other online stores and buy any OEM version of Vista with no hardware at all. There is no hardware requirement and that has been common knowledge here for a month.

Much of what you think you know is inncorect.

Windows is so expensive because it is not an "Operating System". It is an "Operating Platform". It is OS and applications from Microsoft.

We will never see a true "Operating System" from Microsoft. They would loose too much control of computing to third-party developers if they did.

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Windows.

..And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Windows.

Political viewpoint that, not a factual comment.

From the early days of 'personal computers' onwards, the bulk of people have wanted them to be machines which "do stuff" rather than boxes of bolts. Included software is arguably a necessity, and MS with Windows could arguably be claimed to be fulfilling that want.

When I go purchase an appliance I'm not purchasing the appliance for the sake of having the appliance. I'm purchasing the performance of the task it is designed to perform. The idea of an OS being merely a platform on which applications can be loaded and run is somewhat restrictive, and doesn't suit the purposes or desires of the majority of people.

ok stop right there!!!
I am neither lazy or ignorant when it comes to me not buying Vista

No where was it stated that anyone who doesn't buy Vista is lazy and/or ignorant. I think that's why you are constantly battling the people who try to explain that Vista isn't as pricey as a few are making it seem. You should put aside your anti-MS bias long enough to consider what people are saying. Anytime this topic comes up (and it's often), you're very quick to jump down anyone's throat who tries to rationalize the cost of Vista. The problem is, most of these people are doing just that...rationalizing, with factual and logical information.

You don't seem to like all the other analogies (even so far as to ask for bank statements, how about this one). Many people play a $50 game for a few months. How's that transfer out over 5 years? $150 a year? $750 over a 5 year span? That's just for a game...one simply application. Yet, paying $200 or less for the operating system that is used all the time for those 5 years is a problem?

it's funny someone can afford a top of the line video card no problem, but a vista home basic upgrade of $98 is an outrage!

That's exactly the logical point so many have tried to make. You spend hundreds on that video card, but do you use it for 5 years? Are you getting your monies worth from that video card when you're checking e-mail, printing out some family photos? As I've heard in the past...common sense...it's not so common.

Expense and value are completely subjective. Trying to convince someone that it's not as expensive as they think it is, is inane. Likewise, trying to convince someone that it's more expensive than they perceive it to be is a similarly pointless exercise.

That's exactly the logical point so many have tried to make. You spend hundreds on that video card, but do you use it for 5 years? Are you getting your monies worth from that video card when you're checking e-mail, printing out some family photos? As I've heard in the past...common sense...it's not so common.

the problem is a lot of people feel they are entitled to the most expensive version of windows out. even though 90% of the extra features they'd never use. I remember hearing so many people complain about how crappy xp home was and that it was slower than xp pro, and using that logic as to why they can pirate it. unless you're buying retail, purchasing windows is relatively cheap

the problem is a lot of people feel they are entitled to the most expensive version of windows out. even though 90% of the extra features they'd never use. I remember hearing so many people complain about how crappy xp home was and that it was slower than xp pro, and using that logic as to why they can pirate it. unless you're buying retail, purchasing windows is relatively cheap

That's a good point. But, I wonder how many people bitch at Adobe because they offer a high end expensive version of Photoshop and/or Premiere, and a lesser-functionality version of both for a lower cost. Seems to me that most people don't have an issue with this, but because it has a Microsoft logo on the box, people feel they should whine and bitch.

Now that vista is out shouldn't we see a huge drop in price for XP?

It would be a bad business decision for MS to drop the price on XP.
Excellent, so are you running MacOS or Linux? Just because MS breaks the law by engaging in illegal anticompetitive behavior does not give you the right to break the law yourself. The options you have would be to petition the DoJ's antitrust group (or the respective agency in your country) to re-investigate MS, to write a letter to your representative urging him or her to propose new anti-trust regulation or to use an alternate OS.

Windows 98 sat on the shelves at full price when XP was released. Office 2003 sits on the shelves at full price now that 2007 is out. You won't see significant drops in prices on these software except for the occasional sale on them at stores. And eventually, they will not be sold anymore anyway.

Yeah. $100 extra to get all those "Ultimate Extra's".

Which has been a ghost-town so far.

(tumbleweed blows by)

Keep in mind that the price increase is only on Ultimate, as well, which is a new SKU (as opposed to Business, which is an upgrade from Pro, etc).

Ermmm, perhaps you're looking in different places than me, but I'm seeing it around 68GBP here at amazon.co.uk. I'm also seeing the upgrade version there at 135GBP. The only thing there close to 200GBP (and it's still a few pounds less) is the full ultimate package.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back