When is the next possible Wii snag?

Well I finally have the money, I should have hit walmart today but I forgot :mad:. I called around, everyone who sold them on Sunday said they arrived that day and they weren't holding them, Sams Club told me they have a truck every day at 12pm, CircuitCity told me they were getting them on a truck, truck came at 11am(I know, I SAW IT) they said it wasn't done unloading, I come back at 2pm....not done unloading.

I've been told walmart will be holding them for every Sunday? Is this correct? What is going on with all the other stores?

I'll try to make another post for this weekend... there should be a few places selling them on Sunday again (don't think Wal-Mart is one of them though)

Gamestop told me they would be in stock 'by' friday.

I am praying that the walmart launch got most of the people who where waiting, I am hoping to get one of these for my 19 yr old sis-in-law for xmas. (I just got a ps3!)

Jiffylush said:
Gamestop told me they would be in stock 'by' friday.

I am praying that the walmart launch got most of the people who where waiting, I am hoping to get one of these for my 19 yr old sis-in-law for xmas. (I just got a ps3!)
I refuse to give gamestop/EB my buisness.

MrBojangels said:

What caused this? I'd like to know. I personally only go there to sell old games to put towards new things.

MrBojangels said:
I don't know why but I have never wanted to do buisness with them. It might be that the PC games section has an area that could barely be called a section.

Optional87 said:
What caused this? I'd like to know. I personally only go there to sell old games to put towards new things.

I dont know about him, but I'm no longer going to EB or Gamestop. I dont like how when I buy a game, they'll get a case for the game, dig out the cd from one of their shelves, and stick it in there like its a new game. I dont like being nagged about joining their super awesome used game club or whatever, or what my zip code is, or what my mother's maiden name is whenever I just want to buy something. And I dont like waiting in line behind the guy who wants to exchange his 50 games just so he can get 30 dollars store credit. And for some reason, my local EB has their DS games and DSlites in the back corner, underneath a sign that says "KIDZ CORNER!" with a picture of Barney on it or something... its weird.

Just small annoyances for me have built up to the point where I can't stand being in their stores anymore... :I It's been so much easier to just go to Wal Mart, have an employee grab the game I want out of the shelf, ring it up, and leave.

xerus` said:
I dont know about him, but I'm no longer going to EB or Gamestop. I dont like how when I buy a game, they'll get a case for the game, dig out the cd from one of their shelves, and stick it in there like its a new game. I dont like being nagged about joining their super awesome used game club or whatever, or what my zip code is, or what my mother's maiden name is whenever I just want to buy something. And I dont like waiting in line behind the guy who wants to exchange his 50 games just so he can get 30 dollars store credit. And for some reason, my local EB has their DS games and DSlites in the back corner, underneath a sign that says "KIDZ CORNER!" with a picture of Barney on it or something... its weird.

Just small annoyances for me have built up to the point where I can't stand being in their stores anymore... :I It's been so much easier to just go to Wal Mart, have an employee grab the game I want out of the shelf, ring it up, and leave.

I have none of those issues at my GameStop, they have two people working the counter at almost all times and have one guy handle the trade-ins on the side so they're away from other customers and if it's taking too long they take care of the guy who just wants to buy one game instead of trading in 25 first.

That kidz corner thing is new to me.. never seen it at any of them around here.

Yeah the hastling about their special programs and stuff is really annoying that's for sure, and meh i like being able to ask them about if they like the game i'm buying or not because generally they own them too.

not particularly defending them but just pointing out that retail experiences vary quite a bit from store to store.

i would also go somewhere with less game emphasis but that has a large stock of them like toys r us or target and just have the cashier ring me up really quick and get out of there.

Thats why so many people think nintendo is for kids cuz places likes those are biased.

I usually just go where the lower prices are lol :)

xerus` said:

how quickly they forget. people dont like gamespot because last november, after pre-selling about 1 million xbox360 "bundles (prem sys, a few crappy games, extra controller for around $850) when launch day came, they didnt have anywhere near enough for the guys who pre-ordered. then they refused to refund the money and some people were still waiting for their 360's in march.
does anyone know if gamestop is selling just the wii system, or do you have to buy it in a "bundle"?

xerus` said:

Do you know why they do that? Because they use to have a policy that said if you beat a game in like 10 days or 14 days you get a free exchange, and those free exchanges were sold as new games and not used.

I generally don't like them, the manager is an asshole, they always want you to pre-order, they open sell open and used games as new(exception is on launch days, when they are still wrapped) and really they are the only place that bothers to card anyone, I know it's their responsibility but I can send a little kid into a CircuitCity and have him come out with Conker Live and Reloaded and a limited edition or the goriest video around without a hassle, but he probably wouldn't be able to get something like Halo at gamestop.

MrBojangels said:
Do you know why they do that? Because they use to have a policy that said if you beat a game in like 10 days or 14 days you get a free exchange, and those free exchanges were sold as new games and not used.

The policy was a full refund under like 10 days or whatever if you didn't like it, not *just* because you finished it and were bored. The reason they don't do that anymore is because of people being total assholes about it and using it as a rental service like this. I was in there once and the employee said some older woman was trying to return a game for her son (cause he was too much of a pussy to do it himself, it seems) and the cd case contained the kid's burned copy of the game and not the original. The woman didn't understand what was wrong with returning it and threw a temper tantrum.

MrBojangels said:
...really they are the only place that bothers to card anyone, I know it's their responsibility but I can send a little kid into a CircuitCity and have him come out with Conker Live and Reloaded and a limited edition or the goriest video around without a hassle, but he probably wouldn't be able to get something like Halo at gamestop.

Er...are you suggesting its a bad thing they don't sell mature games to kids?

Spaceman_Spiff said:
The policy was a full refund under like 10 days or whatever if you didn't like it, not *just* because you finished it and were bored. The reason they don't do that anymore is because of people being total assholes about it and using it as a rental service like this. I was in there once and the employee said some older woman was trying to return a game for her son (cause he was too much of a pussy to do it himself, it seems) and the cd case contained the kid's burned copy of the game and not the original. The woman didn't understand what was wrong with returning it and threw a temper tantrum.

Er...are you suggesting its a bad thing they don't sell mature games to kids?
Gamestop fan boy? What makes someone motivated to stand up for such a shitty chain? I know they discontinued the policy, but AFAIK they are still opening games and selling them as new.

yep. bought some genesis classics game for PS2 "new" there just the other day and it had been opened.

GameStops and EBs seem to be hit or miss for me. I havn't had an issue with opened games (all the games I have gotten from them have been sealed)... However, while I was trying to find my Wii I was consistantly lied to by the grubby douchebag nerds behind the counter about their shipments. One of them had the nerve to tell me that No GameStop or EBGames in the entire state had gotten any Wiis since launch, and won't until March.

When I said "oh really?" the dude looked into my eyes with a straight face and just said "yup." I drove 3 blocks to another store and the guy behind the counter said they sold some 2 days prior.

I know its wrong to hold the entire chain responsible for one scumbag employee, but that's just my right as an american :) I'd rather shop at Target.

I local game shop here called rhino games.. said they might have some thing afternoon or tomorrow afternoon... i'm gonna play my luck with this place first... then it looks like bestbuy on the 16th-17th..

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
I local game shop here called rhino games.. said they might have some thing afternoon or tomorrow afternoon... i'm gonna play my luck with this place first... then it looks like bestbuy on the 16th-17th..
I don't get why they would hold 2 weeks worth? That is bull

No idea why they would hold them either... but it should be a bit easier to get that day at that store than normally.

ps3seeker updated saying Circuit City, Toys R Us, and Target are all expected to have Wiis the 10th

MrBojangels said:
Gamestop fan boy? What makes someone motivated to stand up for such a shitty chain? I know they discontinued the policy, but AFAIK they are still opening games and selling them as new.
Here's how it goes:

When games come out, they have to open one and put it in a sleeve so that they can put the empty case out. They put the sleeve along with the other copies of the game in the drawer together. When it comes down to the last copy remaining, they take the case and sleeve and sell the remaining game. They're not reselling a used game as new. It's still a new game that's never been played...

However, GameStop/EB Games employees are allowed to rent out games/take games home to play for a few days and bring back so that they will be "more knowledgeable" about the product. When new games come out and there are no used copies, they have to take home a new copy. What happens then? They sell it as a new copy. That's what I don't agree with.

How do I know all this? I used to work at a GameStop. Also, they treat they're employees like crap.

vanilla_guerilla said:
how quickly they forget. people dont like gamespot because last november, after pre-selling about 1 million xbox360 "bundles (prem sys, a few crappy games, extra controller for around $850) when launch day came, they didnt have anywhere near enough for the guys who pre-ordered. then they refused to refund the money and some people were still waiting for their 360's in march.
does anyone know if gamestop is selling just the wii system, or do you have to buy it in a "bundle"?
at my gamestop, whenever someone comes in asking for a PS3 or a Wii (I was there the other day, it happened a few times) they say "Only if youre going to buy something with it"

Complete bullshit, IMO. They had both in the back and refused to sell them unless someone bought controllers/games with it

I rarely buy anything there because its generally more expensive than walmart. I do go to the (few) ones that still have N64 games sometimes though just to see what they have as far as used games go, but then again, I have a record store here that has TONS of old SNES/NES/Gensis/Dreamcast/PS/N64/etc games.

lithium726 said:
at my gamestop, whenever someone comes in asking for a PS3 or a Wii (I was there the other day, it happened a few times) they say "Only if youre going to buy something with it"

Complete bullshit, IMO. They had both in the back and refused to sell them unless someone bought controllers/games with it

I rarely buy anything there because its generally more expensive than walmart. I do go to the (few) ones that still have N64 games sometimes though just to see what they have as far as used games go, but then again, I have a record store here that has TONS of old SNES/NES/Gensis/Dreamcast/PS/N64/etc games.

Not to sound like an ass, but that's generally a good thing unless ur planning on ebaying it, in which case good :eek:

RobustDude said:
Not to sound like an ass, but that's generally a good thing unless ur planning on ebaying it, in which case good :eek:
Sorry, but forcing people to buy shit is never a good thing.

I know of lots of people on here who have games, controllers, cables, etc for the wii in anticipation of getting on just cuase they saw the stuff on the shelves. They dont want to rebuy stuff.

I like my local Gamestop, and I find it much less of a problem than Bestbuy or CircuitCity.

BestBuy is always trying to push the extended warranty or magazines, they want your zip and home phone number.

I walked into gamestop and was out the door with a ps3 with no accessories or games in under 3 minutes.

The people who work at my Gamestop are nice, knowledgeable and seem genuinely excited about the new stuff they are selling. When I went back for RFoM the guy told me it was the best game currently available for the ps3 (and I agree).

Anyway, they are selling without bundles at mine and I hope to buy a wii there today.

zero002021 said:
Here's how it goes:

When games come out, they have to open one and put it in a sleeve so that they can put the empty case out. They put the sleeve along with the other copies of the game in the drawer together. When it comes down to the last copy remaining, they take the case and sleeve and sell the remaining game. They're not reselling a used game as new. It's still a new game that's never been played...
If it's open, it's used. If they pulled that shit on me, I'd demand my money back. Will they refund my money if I return an opened game? I don't think so.

xerus` said:

Having been a keyholder for Software Etc. (the original parent of GameStop), I can tell you that you're either buying the last copy of a new game or the store employees are fucktards. All display cases on the wall for new games are the actual cases that games are shipped in. Unfortunately, manufacturers never sent us display cases for the games. So, what we did was pop the cases and shrinkwrap the CDs to keep them safe. The only time we ever sold that CD was if we had no other copies left. Other than that, your store sounds quite a bit mismanaged and nothing like the store I used to work for or the store I shop at now. Most Babbage's/Software Etc./GameStop employees would only keep a Barney in store for devious purposes. My manager and I once mutilated one in the back room with the shrinkwrap machine and his knife and then put it on display behind the counter in that form. LOL

I just got back from my EB Games, they got 9 and there were 30 people in line. Guess I'll have to wait another week at least :(

There's been many many times where I bought a game marked new at Gamestop, and they always try and give me the unwrapped one. It must be something about my looks , I don't know. I've had to return 3! games one year that upon inspection when I got out to my car were scratched or extremely dusty/smudged. I'd go in and say this is not new, they'd argue that it is, and I'd have to have a fucking argument with a little shithead untill I got a shrinkwrapped copy. After that i always asked for the wrapped copy and get attitude about it (also at EB). That's why I stopped shoppnig at the 2 big chains, also because of their absurd used game prices. I can't support a company that dicks people like that.

On another note, I find it amusing that every video game store ive ever been in the employees do nothing but talk about the current hot MMORPG (it was ultima, then eq, now WoW)

EB use to try to sell me DS games opened and the box with no less than 5 stickers on it. This happened a few times last year, but not since. The asshole behind the counter had the nerve to get pissy with me about having to remove the stickers, asking if I had a hair dryer. I asked him if I look like I own a hair dryer. The one game I kept sticked up looks worse than the few used games I have in my cabinet. The stickers and removing them just fucks up the case.

deekayex said:
If it's open, it's used. If they pulled that shit on me, I'd demand my money back. Will they refund my money if I return an opened game? I don't think so.
If you don't like it, tell them you want a sealed copy, or you don't want the game. That's what I did, even when I worked there. I, like you, prefer a sealed copy, regardless of whether the game has ever been played or not.

Just thought you guys might want to check your local game stop today cause they should be getting a shipment of wii's. I was at a local store earlier and was talking to the manager to ask if they had a wii and she said no but by the look on her face she was definitely lying. Anyways I go ahead and ask if they had any remotes and zelda and I ended up just getting those. Then when she goes to the back room to get the remote the other employee came up to me and said that someone came in earlier and told them they were gona get a shipment today so check back in a few hours :D talk about being an awesome employee. Anyways Im gona head back in an hr or so to hopefully pick one up.

I heard the Gamestop EB story earlier so I took a late lunch to head to the one near my work (shipments arrive 1-1:30 there). When I got there the manager was on the phone explaining to a customer that yes they were getting a small shipment in today but that there was a line outside the store when he opened this morning and already more people there waiting than the number of wii's they would receive.

damn, this is the first time i've heard of lines forming when it hasn't even been officially announced that the system would be available. beginning to think i'm never going to get one of these things. :(

I called my local game stop..
i asked "Will you be recieving any Wii's today?"

and lady kind of hesitated and stumbled with her words like she didn't expect me to know they were having a shipment coming today..

then she said

"uuumm yea possibly we're getting some in.... .... uumm.,. but we've given out the ummmmm orders already"

she hesitated alot saying that stuff... huumm makes me think.. maybe i should swing by?

gamestop is a little far.. don't know if i should give it a shot given that i could be studying for a final..

Gamestop near my house told me they had people waiting for the shipment, so gamestops definately got them in but are most likely sold out. Sunday is looking to be the day for the wii

DaRat said:
Gamestop near my house told me they had people waiting for the shipment, so gamestops definately got them in but are most likely sold out. Sunday is looking to be the day for the wii

sunday is looking pretty dry too.. it seems like the 17th is the day for the wii (next sunday.. not this sunday)

Back