When is the 790GX coming out?

Many people don't game, or if they do its casual where the onboard is usually enough. Or they build HTPC systems or fileservers. Why not get the new southbridge on those as well?

Same here. Why would they even release boards designed for overclocking with integrated graphics? Don't most overclockers use vid cards and not the worthless on-board vid junk? Seems silly to get a board and have an overclocked quad core and 4-8GBs of 1066 RAM and then use integrated graphics...or am I talking out of my ass? :p

not at all. on the contray its one of my reasons for upgrading my board. Hybrid graphics can save me a lot of heat (my big concern more then the power) why run a 4870X2 to use the internet? and the onboard graphics will do full HD video and all that. seems like a good deal to me

Point taken. I guess on-board graphics have come a long way from what I remember.

Hybrid crossfire is the main reason I'm looking at the 790GX. I'm more interested in the HTPC venue and I am wondering if hybrid crossfire will work with the non-crossfire capable All-in-wonder HD. 3650 chip, 650 theater pro, component input and capture. If it works, could get a big performance boost from hybrid crossfire.
And of course better OC, etc.

Yeah, it'd been posted before, but the original story when it was posted on 8.4.2008 only had the first couple of images. The BIOS screens & benchmarks are all new :D They also say that there'll be another update that'll include Hybrid CrossFire benchies... I'm really interested in the possibility of Hybrid CrossFire, but I've got many questions on how it'd work with multiple monitors...

Thanks, T. Well, considering they were using a 9550, the numbers are certainly encouraging. If the 790GX is engineered to support a 9850/9950, it ought to be a very promising platform. So I'm looking forward to its launch reviews and hoping someone pushes the hell out of it to see where it can go.

Seems Newegg is all out of the Gigabyte board now too. The Foxconn board is on NewBiiz but the shipping is really steep. An ASUS board is on zipzoomfly for $155.00, but not yet stocked.

I heard that August 6th was going to be the official launch, which explains some suppliers having stock on the 4th; as long as the boards arrive to consumers around when the launch goes official and the NDA is lifted, AMD shouldn't get too cranky.

I'm building a Hybrid Crossfire setup for a really cheap low-end gaming rig for my little bro. Basically, I just need to eke enough performance out of the setup to get him by until he gets a job (kid is turning 17) and can start paying for performance upgrades on his own.

I just want to see how the new 790 GX with the HD 3300 does with Hybrid Crossfire when compared to some of the other low-end cards out there. I don't want to spend $50 on an HD 3470 if I can get significantly better performance out of a 3600 for under $100.

Triple Hybrid CrossfireX sounds like fun too but I'm not sure it would be worth the expense.

I'm building a rig for myself too in a couple months. I've always been an AMD fan because AMD is where it's at when you have to build a gaming rig on a budget, but having read the Nehalem preview over at Anandtech, the 45nm Deneb Phenoms will have to kick some serious butt or be seriously cheap in order to compete. I've been hoping to build a 45nm Phenom 790FX + SB750 setup in early December, so we'll see. I've learned that counting ones chickens before they hatch, especially where previews involving engineering samples are involved, is not always a good idea.

Oh, and hi everyone. I didn't really introduce myself. I'm new to the forums here but I've been lurking the last week or so because I've found this forum to be surprisingly well-informed and up-to-date on what's going on with these new boards and chipsets. I do computer repair as a side-job and I'm a 24-year-old Computer Science major college dropout (long story; it involves Calculus). I have a baby daughter coming in September, so I'm trying to make the best use of my free time now before I have a newborn demanding my attention!

Welcome to the [H] forums, Electrofreak :)

Yep, the August 6 date was discussed on p5 of this thread, & the ASUS board at ZipZoomFly was discussed on p6. Also, a couple posts up, I link to my other thread attempting to discuss hybrid CrossFire. I'm definitely getting one of these boards (FX or GX) when they come out, but I wish I knew more about the hybrid CrossFire setup. If you have any experience with it, post over in that other thread, would ya?

The Foxconn board is looking pretty good to me. Unless the 790FX + SB750 boards come out tomorrow...if tomorrow is infact the official release. I just don't need on-board video. Seems redundant to me when I have a video card. I am curious if the FX's will be any cheaper than the GX's.

...I am curious if the FX's will be any cheaper than the GX's.

I don't see that as likely, as the GX is AMD's "Gamer" line of merchandise, while the FX is in the "Enthusiast" segment.

FXs have always cost more than 780G (which was priced as the low-end gamer segment) and the 790X (higher end gamer), so the just-released GX, already showing priced at about $100-$150 (looking to average around $125), is still priced lower than the current 790FX (with SB600) going for around $150-$225.

The FX board is for those of us who view overclocking as almost a sport. You know, us freaks who spend almost as much time tweaking our OC settings as we do playing the games.

This is why we're starting to see a lot of annoyed Overclockers who want the great Crossfire ability of the 790FX, but are wondering why we're seeing SB750s on GX boards, but not FX boards yet. The SB750 and AAC is touted to make Phenoms finally OC like they should have when AMD released them... so what's the holdup?!

ya FX will cost much more, probably around $200 as they are setup for quad crossfires. Any idea when DFI and micro 790gx comes out?

This is why we're starting to see a lot of annoyed Overclockers who want the great Crossfire ability of the 790FX, but are wondering why we're seeing SB750s on GX boards, but not FX boards yet. The SB750 and AAC is touted to make Phenoms finally OC like they should have when AMD released them... so what's the holdup?!

hrrmm in all those reviews though, they had trouble getting their OCs over 3.2.. I thought this series of boards was supposed to allow for more? Either way it is still a good jump from 2.5

ditto hybrid will be the way to go once I upgrade to 790GX + HD4870

Perhaps I have been mis-understanding this. But from what I read, it sounded like the integrated graphics could only be run with a radeon HD3000-something card (HD3300) I think it was -- and the the hybrid crossfire thing would not function with a newer generation card like the 4870.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!

ya :(
I thought hybrid would just automatically shutoff the pci card and run on the onboard when in windows

Unfortunately, Denamian, it looks like that is still the case. The b.s. has been carried over from the 780G, & they're really (at least on the surface) not committing to anything more than the status quo. It's really disappointing, but there it is. Here's the link to the thread @ AMD. I can't understate how disappointed I am at the answer.

That said, however, since I'm still not planning on running multiple discrete cards, I still believe that the 790GX is the way to go, if only for the reason of cost. The new FX boards are sure to cost ~$75 more.

The way I look at it the 790GX is the testbed for the "point upgrade" 750 southbridge. Issues are being addressed and as Gary said all along the release is a few weeks too early. A little more tuning and testing and the 750SB will ready for implementation on the 790FX northbridge platform.I believe that ACC will also support K8 dual core at some point in the very near future. Could be able to scale a K8 closer to 4Ghz.

When is kyle going to do a detailed review of a gx board with a 38xx/48xx just to test hybrid crossfire and see if it works with more cards than the 3470 heh

The way I look at it the 790GX is the testbed for the "point upgrade" 750 southbridge. Issues are being addressed and as Gary said all along the release is a few weeks too early. A little more tuning and testing and the 750SB will ready for implementation on the 790FX northbridge platform.I believe that AOC will also support K8 dual core at some point in the very near future. Could be able to scale a K8 closer to 4Ghz.

the 790fx with the sb is already out

AMDTI have never stated as far as I know that hybrid crossfire will work with anything higher then a 34xx series. This is because that's roughly the speed at which the onboard operates, and in a SLI/Xfire scenario don't mismatched cards operate at the slower frequency to keep it as smooth as possible? Therefore what would be the point of putting a 38xx/48xx with the onboard? You can't even use a 38xx/48xx together either as far as I know. As for Anandtech's review, they sure seemed to have more trouble with theirs then the other review sites.

Yeah, gigaxtreme1, methinks maxius is mistaken.

Khaos Kid: got 2 ASUS M3A78-T's coming my way as of this afternoon :D

Yeah the new FX are NOT out. noly the GX. And my 790GX board arrived yesterday, but the processor won't be here till tomorrow even though it arrived in my city last night at 9PM (no UPS won't let me pick it up).:mad:

So I can try some tests and see if it does or not.

When is kyle going to do a detailed review of a gx board with a 38xx/48xx just to test hybrid crossfire and see if it works with more cards than the 3470 heh

That is a good question. Does Kyle have the 790GX on the rack in the [H}arddungeon, putting the screws to that beast and whipping it to within inches of it's life until it screams in agony and/or ecstacy? If so, we can expect some much needed information. If not someone should do just that.

Perhaps I have been mis-understanding this. But from what I read, it sounded like the integrated graphics could only be run with a radeon HD3000-something card (HD3300) I think it was -- and the the hybrid crossfire thing would not function with a newer generation card like the 4870.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!

This is what I've found regarding this...

The board does support regular crossfire (you would want to run it in the blue and white slots) Crossfire, and hybrid crossfire, which uses the IGP graphics and an add-on card that is compliant. The list of compliant cards is small though. It includes the HD3450, HD3470 the HD 2400 Pro and the HD2400 XT. The whole hybrid concept is great, and will likely be a great upgrade option for those in that lower-end segment of the market.

source: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/758/3/

Not surprised Foxconn is the first one out. Seems they have been working very closely with AMD and at least Gary Key at Anandtech at tuning the 780GX. Han Hai is a big company and if they are working this closely with the community it speaks of great things to come

Back