when is ram cpu brand specific?

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
ok I am looking into a ddr3 ram kit but I keep seeing brands saying designed for intel i5. Does this mean it won't work for an amd setup? I hate how junior this question sounds but I am trying to minimize issues.

TIA.

Don't quote me on this one, but as far as I know some intel boards don't accept memory that's rated at higher than 1.5v or something like that. So yea, when it says designed for intel i# it could just mean that it is tested specifically for intel i#, but all RAM is pretty much universal.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I hate to be giving bad info.

RAM Designed for intel systems run at their rated speed @ 1.5v and typically support intel XMP profiles for timings.

They will work in AMD systems without issue.

for the most part its all a marketing gimic branding a specific set of ram "compatable" with a certain CPU. if the type, speed and voltage match your motherboard, you are good to go. its like a game saying "Made for ATI"; it will run just fine on nvidia hardware.

there are only a few exceptions and they have to do with very specific hardware, like server motherboards and RAID cards that require a special type or vender.

In some cases, there are memory modules that will not run at their full rated frequency on one platform but will on another. Currently, the only examples that I am aware of relate to some 1333 and 1600 kits on AMD platforms not able to run at their rated frequency. However, without knowing specifically what kit you are talking about and the CPU+MOBO combo, it's impossible to say.

when is ram cpu brand specific?
when they started putting the memory controller in side the cpu would be my best guess

use to be

when is ram chip-set brand specific?

having it in side the cpu is faster of cores but now that's its only on the cpu the people that make cpus get to tell you when your allowed to fart

im going to love to see someone make a mobo now that can support both ddr2 and ddr3

Back