When is Ethereum Proof of Work/mining actually going dodo?

When are we actually not gonna be able to mine for Ethereum anymore? My best guess after sifting through FUD is 1st quarter 2022 around February. Anyone have better intel?

Speculation and random guesses are welcome.

Last edited:
Don’t have a better idea, other than sometime in the future as has been the case for several years now.

right - been promised and right around the corner at least since I started mining in 2017.

At this point I wouldn't even worry about it. You'll have ROI'ed on any modern GPU you buy before it actually happens is my guess.

I'd be more concerned with what EIP 1559 will do.

I was reading an article, and there are about a million out there, that said December of this year, moved up from July of next. But like mentioned by others, it changes so often its hard to get a real answer.

I don't think POW is going anywhere until something better comes along, and that won't be POS (even if it works as advertised). Maybe we'll see profits tank, forcing a lot of miners out of the game, but who knows. As long as you're buying stuff at good prices that is power efficient you'll probably be fine. My guess is that POS on ETH will be delayed further, it won't solve the scaling issues, and we'll gradually migrate to other coins.

The merge to POS is still without a date, so Q1 2022 is the best guess. There is a difficulty bomb that will severely impact mining profits set for December 2021 as a deterrent to someone forking the coin, but that will likely get moved as well. They aren't going to spike difficulty before they are ready to go POS.

Back