When is a true 1440p 120hz IPS coming out?!

Doomchoppa

Limp Gawd
I have been delaying my build for this. Currently the market is too split to make an easy decision. On one side you got 120hz smoothness and on the other side you got better colors and IQ.

I want to know when both worlds collide!

I would guess never, OLED will make IPS obsolete before it happens, if it ever happens.
IPS is simply too far from being able to do 120hz properly.

The fastest IPS/PLS are listed as 5 or 6ms response, but that is gtg and has little to do with reality.
In reality the responsetimes are quite alot higher, and at 120 hz each frame is 8.333ms - the current overclocked korean monitors are in constant refresh when running at 120fps@120hz, creating a permanent blur.
(There is a good reason no serious monitor vendor makes 120hz ips with the same panels).

Things to support this:
*The major panel manufacturers state that they put most of their R&D efforts towards OLED
*The progress that's been made lately in IPS/PLS technology has been about pixel density, not responsetimes. The new higher resolutions makes it even harder to reach 120hz, since not only are the panels still slow, but there's now no widely available interface that can do 120hz at 4k res.
*IPS responsetimes hasn't improved a whole lot over the past 10 years.

Last edited:
Why make 1440p 120hz if even at 1080p you need the fastest card/SLI to get 120fps?

That would be like a monitor which is worthwhile only with a Titan lol.

Too much $$$ needed to run 1440p @ 120hz properly, and the market is pretty small for it.

Personally, a 1080p @ 120hz monitor is a much better buy, but really depends on what you'll want to do with it

120Hz+ is expensive to run period.

I'll stick to my 60Hz IPS until a true 120Hz IPS panel is produced.
Then it may be worth the extra cost. TN panels burns the eyes.

This is like posting a thread asking when will they make a production 3000HP car? Let's hit the 2000HP mark first I say. To bring that into the context of this thread, when will they make a 1080p or 1200p 120hz IPS with backlight strobing / Lightboost or other blur reduction techniques? And by 120hz I mean 120hz input.

Alright, so then, when is the first true IPS 1080p 120hz is expected to come out? Or will the next step be OLED? If yes, any word about when we will see anything in the monitor market?

Probably not for 5+ years. To run a game maxed out at 120fps at a resolution of 1440p you're probably looking at a GPU like a 9950 or higher.

Agreed on the "why 120Hz?" sentiments.....Really, improved IPS performance is all that matters, I'd take a true max 6ms 60Hz IPS anyday over a "New! 120Hz IPS Monitor"....If a panel is having trouble keeping up with 60fps material they could certainly still mate it to 120Hz hardware (or 240Hz or whatever the marketing department wants), but what would that accomplish? The panel needs to be fast enough to take advantage, and it looks like we've seen all we're going to see from that show.

While it might be a pain to run 120hz 1440p properly, I still would love for my Catleap to do 120hz just for the older games.

Did all of you fall off the planet or something? These have been around a while:
http://www.120hz.biz/monitors/
http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/displays

Granted, at the time of this post, both are sold out, but you can pre-order.

I'd call bullshit on those. Does dual link DVI or even Displayport have enough bandwidth for 2560x1440 at 120 Hz? Also at least the ones on the second link seem to state that they simply have 60 Hz panels that maybe can be overclocked up to 120 Hz thanks to the company's controllers. Are the lower res panels and controllers from more notable manufacturers any different?

I'd call bullshit on those. Does dual link DVI or even Displayport have enough bandwidth for 2560x1440 at 120 Hz? Also at least the ones on the second link seem to state that they simply have 60 Hz panels that maybe can be overclocked up to 120 Hz thanks to the company's controllers. Are the lower res panels and controllers from more notable manufacturers any different?

DVI doesn't have official support via hardware vendors. There's enough engineering margin built in to cover up to 1440p@120hz.

DisplayPort has enough bandwidth.

These aren't 1440p 120hz monitors. They are 1440p 60hz monitors that happen to have the ability to overclock up to 120hz+. And unlike many fake 120hz tvs, these actually display 120+fps if things work.

Displayport does have more than enough bandwidth. DVI-DL is a more difficult question because there is no official "standard" anymore, the governing committee for DVI disbanded over 10 years ago. So pretty much your DVI connector determines the bandwidth. In other words, maybe it does with some cables, and it won't with others. It depends completely on the circuitry within, and since there isn't a clear standard for DVI-D anymore - the cable manufacturer won't advertise it as such more than likely.

When 4k becomes commonplace, i'd imagine displayport will be taking over as the defacto connection used.

I would guess never, OLED will make IPS obsolete before it happens, if it ever happens.

Just stay away from buying one unless it's advertised to have active pixel-aging compensation electronics (that gives pixels more power once they darken)...
OLED panels are not a replacement for LCDs, only to some extend for plasma.

The technology to make both CRT and LCD obsolete was FED and SED. (every sub-pixel being a CRT-like construction)
And it could have happened, in 2007 and 2009. (please write your complaints to Sony, Canon and Nano-Proprietary Inc)

Stop considering OLED the holy grail. LCD might be sh%&$ in some regards, but it's the only "monitor" technology still in development.

Last edited:
Just stay away from buying one unless it's advertised to have active pixel-aging compensation electronics (that gives pixels more power once they darken)...
OLED panels are not a replacement for LCDs, only to some extend for plasma.

The technology to make both CRT and LCD obsolete was FED and SED. (every sub-pixel being a CRT-like construction)
And it could have happened, in 2007 and 2009. (please write your complaints to Sony, Canon and Nano-Proprietary Inc)

Stop considering OLED the holy grail. LCD might be sh%&$ in some regards, but it's the only "monitor" technology still in development.

FED and SED are still phosphor emitter based tech, which has some inherit issues (after glow and burn in just to name a few).

Sony Crystal LED is the closest thing to perfect imagining.

This has been on my mind for a few years, why has nothing happenen in development of monitors?

There is an explanation why Desktop displays havn't developed for like a hundred years.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun have a good article about that.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/25/week-in-tech-why-pc-monitors-arent-going-to-get-better/

Seem like we have forgotten to demand awesome screens?... So perhaps it is time to put a [H]ard on the industry to get those 3200 by 1200 pix 120Mhz screens.

you got it all wrong, anything over 60fps is a good reason to own a 120hz monitor.

where do you get the notion that the games have to run 120fps to see the improvement over 60hz monitors?

even 2d desktop feels nice and smooth with a 120hz display.

Back