When is a 2080ti refresh due to hit market?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to know "Around about" time frame the 2080 super and a 2080Ti replacement may hit? Any have any decent speculations? Thanks

Speculation may be fun, but it's not terribly useful in this context. RTX 2080 Super information is still under embargo. However, it's release date is 7/23/19 and the MSRP of the Founder's Edition is $699.99. No information on a successor to the RTX 2080 Ti is currently known.

Source.

Nvidia has very little reason to do a refresh on the 2080ti unless the 2080 super gets dangerously close in performance. Even so they might just do a price cut to $999 or something still ludicrous.

Intel GPU (forgot its name), Navi20 and Ampere are all coming in 2020, I don't think nvidia will release anything other than the 2080Super until then.

Only thing they could do to beef up the 2080 TI would be to drop in another 1GB of memory taking it to 12 GB and dripping in faster GDDR6 at 16 Gbps, maybe OC the core a bit. But I feel they are saving the faster memory jump for their next gen 7nm cards. They only went to 15.5Gbps for the 2080S when 16Gbps and 18Gbps GDDR6 is available. I'm sure we'll see those speeds reserved for Navi 20 and Nvidia Ampre in 2020, not sure who else would buy the Samsung and Micron GDDR6 that's in production...

Note I'm OCD about odd memory counts, one of the reasons I won't pick up an 11GB card...

I'm not gonna upgrade my GPU till something reasonable comes out with over 8GB of ram. I already reach that limit on my 1070.
I also don't want to spend $1000 on a single computer component. :(

Usually close to two years between x80TI releases . . . .maybe sooner this time?

I'd be happy if they just dropped the prices by 20%-30%.

If AMD drops a higher end card (5900 or 5900xt maybe) and it does scary good numbers - I'd imagine Nvidia wouldn't hesitate to drop something new ahead of time to break AMD's momentum. They definitely don't want to get too cocky and get surprised like Intel did for CPUs.

Given that the VII has EOL'ed there will be an empty spot at the top of AMD's product stack soon and from current hardware reviews of Navi 7nm boards saying AMD left alot of performance headroom on the table, I'm guessing that was for a reason.

If AMD drops a higher end card (5900 or 5900xt maybe) and it does scary good numbers - I'd imagine Nvidia wouldn't hesitate to drop something new ahead of time to break AMD's momentum. They definitely don't want to get too cocky and get surprised like Intel did for CPUs.

Given that the VII has EOL'ed there will be an empty spot at the top of AMD's product stack soon and from current hardware reviews of Navi 7nm boards saying AMD left alot of performance headroom on the table, I'm guessing that was for a reason.

I find it hard to believe they left a lot of performance headroom on the table. And I highly doubt Intel got surprised. They've just been enjoying collecting cash while AMD slowly caught up.

Even if AMD makes a card that matches the 2080ti by breaking the 64cu limit gcn kept them under, we won't see a new 80ti series until next year. They won't rush something out just to take the crown back it will be a small price cut to hold people over then a killshot.

I'd expect a 2080 Ti successor sometime in the second half of 2020, it's most likely just going to be a 7nm refresh with all the benefits that brings rather than a new design.

Even if AMD makes a card that matches the 2080ti by breaking the 64cu limit gcn kept them under, we won't see a new 80ti series until next year. They won't rush something out just to take the crown back it will be a small price cut to hold people over then a killshot.
I highly doubt Nvidia would do a refresh for the 2080ti before Ampere next year. EXCEPT in this situation! Nvidia is fanatical about maintaining its position of having fastest single card available. If AMD even gets close to the 2080ti, pretty sure Nvidia would respond with a refresh for the Ti.

I highly doubt Nvidia would do a refresh for the 2080ti before Ampere next year. EXCEPT in this situation! Nvidia is fanatical about maintaining its position of having fastest single card available. If AMD even gets close to the 2080ti, pretty sure Nvidia would respond with a refresh for the Ti.

At most 6% faster if they went with a full die. Nothing worth waiting for IMO.

NVIDIA confirmed there will be no SUPER refresh of the 2080 Ti.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66614/geforce-rtx-2080-ti-super-graphics-card/index.html

It was 30 months between the release of Pascal and Turing, but I have a feeling this cycle will be shorter. I would not expect a Turing successor (Ampere?) until May 2020 at the earliest.
Of course Nvidia is not going to confirm any refresh coming. It is a sure was to be stuck with dead stock cause people will wait for the refresh if they know coming.

Speculation may be fun, but it's not terribly useful in this context. RTX 2080 Super information is still under embargo. However, it's release date is 7/23/19 and the MSRP of the Founder's Edition is $699.99. No information on a successor to the RTX 2080 Ti is currently known.

Source.

We may never see a Super Ti or Titan - if AMD has more in the pipeline (5800 or even 5900) - That talk (if even true, its rumors right now) is around Oct. launch (dec on shelves) - Even at that when we look at the performance of the 2080 Super, does AMD have anything that can hit that level or beat Ti, that's a big question (for now). We should hear lots more noise out of Intel around Dec. from the gossip of it all - Intel may be the closet next (bigger) thing to come in graphics sector (maybe)... embargo(s) though do most likely mean there's something lurking around the corner though.

If it’s reasonably priced and meets expectations I might purchase one.

We may never see a Super Ti or Titan - if AMD has more in the pipeline (5800 or even 5900) - That talk (if even true, its rumors right now) is around Oct. launch (dec on shelves) - Even at that when we look at the performance of the 2080 Super, does AMD have anything that can hit that level or beat Ti, that's a big question (for now). We should hear lots more noise out of Intel around Dec. from the gossip of it all - Intel may be the closet next (bigger) thing to come in graphics sector (maybe)... embargo(s) though do most likely mean there's something lurking around the corner though.

Well that upcoming 8192 core Arcturus GPU might be a sign that AMD is ready to build a gigantic (600mm2) 7nm die.

Last edited:
Last edited:
According to reviews, looks like the gap to the 2080 Ti from the 2080 Super is about 22% at 256x1440 and 26% at 3840x2160 or with ray tracing.
Isn't that basically like upgrading from 2080 Ti to Titan RTX?
The 2080 Super is 15% faster than the 1080 Ti, while the Titan RTX is only 8% faster than the 2080 Ti.

I personally wouldn't buy a 2080ti I think the series is jinked so I stuck with the EVGA 2080 RTX>

According to reviews, looks like the gap to the 2080 Ti from the 2080 Super is about 22% at 256x1440 and 26% at 3840x2160 or with ray tracing.

The 2080 Super is 15% faster than the 1080 Ti, while the Titan RTX is only 8% faster than the 2080 Ti.

Only if you had a reference 1080 ti running on stock settings. I assume most people owned aftermarket cards. A good aftermarket 1080 ti is 10% faster than the reference card.

Reactions: noko
like this
there was someone 3dguru who had a sitdown with nvidia they said a super 2080ti would not come, the prety much confirmed it. but i would take it with a grain of salt anyway, as saying it was in the works would affect their sales. im skipping this generation for now, my 1080ti is solid.

They kinda do. Loads of us 1080Ti owners itching for an upgrade while looking at $1300 2080Ti and saying "no fucking way".
Well us 1080 Ti owners may just end up with a high end AMD card if they launch first next year or later this year. Game play wise, depending on the game, the 5700 XT and 1080 Ti are hard to tell apart. What I am looking for next year is a 5K monitor (Ultrawide), HDR 1000, at least 100hz (may not happen) like below but better:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-34WK95U-W-34-Class-UltraWide/dp/B07FT8ZBMR

Then a card that can actually push it. Love 4K, Love Ultrawide, Love faster than 60hz, Love HDR just getting all in one package is the thing. Some of us just ask or want too much.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They kinda do. Loads of us 1080Ti owners itching for an upgrade while looking at $1300 2080Ti and saying "no fucking way".
Buy the EVGA Black Edition like I did then. It's 999 and offers a 25% increase in performance over the 1080Ti + <cough> the best Ray Tracing available. lol

At only 200 dollars more than what I paid for my 1080Ti it was the clear choice. After several product returns it seemed like less of the ideal choice given the fact that over 20% of the Nvidia 2000 series were failing (I have no idea if this is still going on). AMD might release something that competes with Nvidia and it may very well be more efficient and scale-able. However, Nvidia is like intel... they have the money to launch a bigger die that is way less efficient and way in the hell faster than AMD and take a loss on hardware pricing if necessary. The Super cards are what Nvidia should have led with but didn't. Perhaps more a product of better yields over time, but they should have released the best they could and they didn't because there was no competition. The XT5700 is sort of competition. But it's not hitting 2080Ti levels of performance.

2080Ti's can be had on the cheap (runs everything at 4K, maximum settings just fine). You just have to be happy with 25% more instead of 50% more like previous generations. I suspect we will be seeing diminishing returns after 7nm, just as CPUs will be.

Back