when is 4700g actually going to retail?

Everybody in the chain has probably gobbled up allocation. I hope there's some leftover for retail.

I really want the 4700g badly. I want to take my son's 5600xt and use it another project and give him the APU. He doesn't play anything more demanding than this more advanced APU can handle to be honest.

They stated it is for OEMs only, so.... Until they change that stance, never? Realistically, probably sometime next year maybe.
Why not just get him a 3400g then? The 4750g is barely any faster as an APU.
Average geometric fps in review from toms was 44.4fps for the 3400g and 50.2.for the 4750g. That's a $150 APU vs a $310 APU. I mean, if he truly doesnt need a great GPU you could even pick up an rx560 for like $65 that blows both of them away in performance and save $250.

Edit: And just in case anyone had any silly ideas, the 10700k had an average of 17.5fps. So even though Intel supplies iGPUs they aren't useful for much besides simple graphics and transcoding with QSV (which its actually.lretty good at).

Last edited:
They stated it is for OEMs only, so.... Until they change that stance, never? Realistically, probably sometime next year maybe.
Why not just get him a 3400g then? The 4750g is barely any faster as an APU.
Average geometric fps in review from toms was 44.4fps for the 3400g and 50.2.for the 4750g. That's a $150 APU vs a $310 APU. I mean, if he truly doesnt need a great GPU you could even pick up an rx560 for like $65 that blows both of them away in performance and save $250.

Edit: And just in case anyone had any silly ideas, the 10700k had an average of 17.5fps. So even though Intel supplies iGPUs they aren't useful for much besides simple graphics and transcoding with QSV (which its actually.lretty good at).

The difference is 15% in games because well it's limited by the tiny gpu. In cpu tasks, the 4 series is as fast as the current desktop cpus something the 4300g... well lol it's not even close enough for it to even dream of.

I made a mistake. I didn't mean the 4x50 series. I meant the regular consumer model chips like the 4700g. I edited the thread title.

I made a mistake. I didn't mean the 4x50 series. I meant the regular consumer model chips like the 4700g. I edited the thread title.
That makes my point even more.. if you just want his GPU, just get him a cheap replacement. These are cool chips but if he has room for a GPU and have a good enough power supply, why? This is for a mini build with a pico itx PSU with limited power. Or possibly for someone that doesn't game but could use the threads to save on having to buy a GPU; although, with the limited resources and minimal cache I'd still argue against it for most cases.

That makes my point even more.. if you just want his GPU, just get him a cheap replacement. These are cool chips but if he has room for a GPU and have a good enough power supply, why? This is for a mini build with a pico itx PSU with limited power. Or possibly for someone that doesn't game but could use the threads to save on having to buy a GPU; although, with the limited resources and minimal cache I'd still argue against it for most cases.

Who cares whats its for. Apparently you have no idea when its on sale. Thats cool.

To answer you, I looked for MONTHS for a used rx580. Easier said than done bro.

I dont want his gpu, was just gonna reutilize it or sell it. He doesnt need more than an APU, all he does is play Roblox. Shit can run on a calculator. I buy him all kind of steam games he asked for and in the end only game he cares to play is Roblox.

So rather than his 5600xt going obsolete in his case from non use id rather use it or sell it. I have a 2080ti I dont need his gpu honestly.

Last edited:
Who cares whats its for. Apparently you have no idea when its on sale. Thats cool.

To answer you, I looked for MONTHS for a used rx580. Easier said than done bro.

I dont want his gpu, was just gonna reutilize it or sell it. He doesnt need more than an APU, all he does is play Roblox. Shit can run on a calculator. I buy him all kind of steam games he asked for and in the end only game he cares to play is Roblox.

So rather than his 5600xt going obsolete in his case from non use id rather use it or sell it. I have a 2080ti I dont need his gpu honestly.
Why so angry? I was just saying if he's got everything already. It has to powerful of a GPU, why not just swap the GPU. Didn't mean any disrespect or anything.

As for the 4xx0g, I already answered that. AMDs official stance is currently that it's an OEM part only. Until they decide to change their mind, that's it. I can speculate that once quantities stabilize they may release one or more of them to retail, but there are no dates of guarantees. In the mean time i was suggesting there were other options. You are free to take or leave it, not sure why you're so upset over it.

Why so angry? I was just saying if he's got everything already. It has to powerful of a GPU, why not just swap the GPU. Didn't mean any disrespect or anything.

As for the 4xx0g, I already answered that. AMDs official stance is currently that it's an OEM part only. Until they decide to change their mind, that's it. I can speculate that once quantities stabilize they may release one or more of them to retail, but there are no dates of guarantees. In the mean time i was suggesting there were other options. You are free to take or leave it, not sure why you're so upset over it.

Im sorry to sound angry and didnt mean to come off that way. I assure you I am not angry at all! In reality though it does get a little testing of patience when people ask a simple question like an availability question and instead of an answer related they get a lecture on why or why they should do x y and z. Ive built hundreds of systems both personally and professionally. I was honestly hoping some one would say, sept X or i seen one for sale at Jims Bargain Bin etc... I understand the kindness to want to share a very valid point of view for consideration though and I appreciate it. But if I didnt say something to align back on topic this thread would turn into 3 pages of arguing about GPUs vs APUs and all it was asking was for a launch date. That tends to be the pattern on forums as of the last few years. Its nothing personal and you do make outstanding points of view.

Im sorry to sound angry and didnt mean to come off that way. I assure you I am not angry at all! In reality though it does get a little testing of patience when people ask a simple question like an availability question and instead of an answer related they get a lecture on why or why they should do x y and z. Ive built hundreds of systems both personally and professionally. I was honestly hoping some one would say, sept X or i seen one for sale at Jims Bargain Bin etc... I understand the kindness to want to share a very valid point of view for consideration though and I appreciate it. But if I didnt say something to align back on topic this thread would turn into 3 pages of arguing about GPUs vs APUs and all it was asking was for a launch date. That tends to be the pattern on forums as of the last few years. Its nothing personal and you do make outstanding points of view.
Ok, just trying to make sure I didn't say something to offend you. Sorry the real answer isn't as good, trust me, I wish they would release it for retail as well, but unfortunately, at least for now, that doesn't appear the case. I figured since you were asking and wanting one since the answer was no time soon I was just offering some options. If the answer was next month I would have just said to wait a month ;).

Ok, just trying to make sure I didn't say something to offend you. Sorry the real answer isn't as good, trust me, I wish they would release it for retail as well, but unfortunately, at least for now, that doesn't appear the case. I figured since you were asking and wanting one since the answer was no time soon I was just offering some options. If the answer was next month I would have just said to wait a month ;).

Yeah that sucks because reviews show them as very powerful cpus as far as that side of the chip is concerned. Its just odd that the new apus are only going to the large company prebuilt market and not for everyone. Unlike the past apus made fully available.

Honestly I guess my kid could benefit from a used 3400g then. Or maybe the 4000g series will pop up on fleabay later. Or I can find a used 580 for em if I get real lucky for less than a C note.

Yeah that sucks because reviews show them as very powerful cpus as far as that side of the chip is concerned. Its just odd that the new apus are only going to the large company prebuilt market and not for everyone. Unlike the past apus made fully available.

Honestly I guess my kid could benefit from a used 3400g then. Or maybe the 4000g series will pop up on fleabay later. Or I can find a used 580 for em if I get real lucky for less than a C note.
They started selling them overseas as MB/4xx0g combos... So who knows, maybe they'd show up at some point. I guess they want to make sure OEMs are getting stock as they need to make more inroads into the OEM market. That sucks for us, but makes sense for a company trying to increase market share.

They stated it is for OEMs only, so.... Until they change that stance, never?

Anybody see any 4000G chips in OEM systems yet? I'm looking at building a new system around one of these chips, but buying a whole system could work too. (From a US shop)

"He doesnt need more than an APU, all he does is play Roblox. "

You literally just described most of my buddies kids I built 1st PCs for this year.

They dabble in Fortnite bc their friends want to play, less time on other games you actually have to pay for.

Roblox is the Time Out arcade replacement for this upcoming generation.

There are some on eBay now.

Just checked fleabay and damn those mark ups!

be0JymjaqGTnNSaa.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...l-bootlegging-of-oem-parts-takes-over.270810/

Last edited:
Wait a sec, OEM only tray cpus are showing up on eBay this fast?

This is a big no no.

We have had to sign reams of paper for pre production engineering samples in the past. Badged employees would hand us units at E3/Pax/Gamescon, and collect them when we were done that day. This was a AAA game publisher I was working for with long ties to the OEM.

I've gotten gear from OEMs thru the "try and buy" channel as well, again we had 6 Dell employees in the office reiterating our responsibility to keep that gear locked up. When we got gear, there were long discussions and chain of custody was well established.

I would have 0 chance to get at their inventory, so whenever they run down the employee badge of the person that made off with the trays is screwed, whether they were diverted in the way to the OEM or at the OEM.

If they werent so expensive I would grab one of these off ebay. haha

I'd be more concerned with AMD blacklisting those CPUs in retail mobos.

If trays were stolen from an OEM, the door is open for that move.

They're stolen, and assuming OEM only/NO SI is correct for this launch phase then you want to stomp out thieves in a manner that no one tries to do it again.

Last edited:
I want one badly too. My B550 is sitting on my desk waiting to be built. I was going to build with a 3700x but 4700g is just a better option. When I upgrade in the future, 4700g will won't need a dedicated GPU.

No, I don't think those CPUs are not stolen. The PC building retailers are supposedly able to obtain them but instead of using for custom PC, they are selling them.

I'd be happy with a 4300G, I might be able to get it before the 3300X I ordered in mid May.

Do NOT get the 4300g. AMD cuts the L3 cache again in half causing the CPU to perform like Zen+, at least in games. The 4600g is the sweet spot where the 4700g is again slightly bottlenecked.

Do NOT get the 4300g. AMD cuts the L3 cache again in half causing the CPU to perform like Zen+, at least in games. The 4600g is the sweet spot where the 4700g is again slightly bottlenecked.
I've got the 3300X on order for a file/media server so no real heavy lifting. I wouldn't mind not having to worry about a gpu. I did pick up a GT 710 so it doesn't really matter at this point I guess.

I want one badly too. My B550 is sitting on my desk waiting to be built. I was going to build with a 3700x but 4700g is just a better option. When I upgrade in the future, 4700g will won't need a dedicated GPU.

No, I don't think those CPUs are not stolen. The PC building retailers are supposedly able to obtain them but instead of using for custom PC, they are selling them.
For how long? Isn't it risky to be 'sitting' on a brand new motherboard for that long?
Over 30 days and the retailer doesn't handle any issues?

As for the OP, I don't see why he doesn't get a 3100 or 3600?

For how long? Isn't it risky to be 'sitting' on a brand new motherboard for that long?

Most have a 1 year RMA period, so as long as you don't sit on it for to long you're probably fine. I asked similar things, but it seems he's got his heart set on a newer APU. I wouldn't mind one myself, and may very well end up with one eventually but I won't hold myself up to wait on something that isn't intended for consumer markets. If one becomes available, I would first get it, then find the rest of the parts.

I can see why the OP is waiting:

The current Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300X both require a discrete GPU just to even run at all. And these CPUs can cost almost as much money total as the expected cost of a Ryzen 7 4750G even with an inferior-performing dGPU whose performance is no better than the iGPU in the 4750G - and then, the Ryzen 3 parts still have only 4 cores and 8 threads. As a matter of fact, these current Ryzen 3 parts really need a $150 dGPU just to make them worthwhile buys.

So if one needs to spend $350 on a low-end CPU/decent dGPU combination, why not step up to a Ryzen 5 3600?

I'm sure I can RMA it should an issue arise. I upgrade the computer because of want not need. No big deal for me since I can just use my current computer.

As far as the question regarding OP, that's his choice to make.

Most have a 1 year RMA period, so as long as you don't sit on it for to long you're probably fine. I asked similar things, but it seems he's got his heart set on a newer APU. I wouldn't mind one myself, and may very well end up with one eventually but I won't hold myself up to wait on something that isn't intended for consumer markets. If one becomes available, I would first get it,then find the rest of the parts.
The 3600 here is really expensive but I like the MSI B550 Gaming Edge wifi which is temporarily on sale.
There's a few people selling a 3800X for $400 ($80 cheaper than retail) but I don't know if I should wait.
I didn't really want to invest that much in the cpu but I really don't enjoy negotiating with sellers selling used computer parts. :)

The 3600 here is really expensive but I like the MSI B550 Gaming Edge wifi which is temporarily on sale.
There's a few people selling a 3800X for $400 ($80 cheaper than retail) but I don't know if I should wait.
I didn't really want to invest that much in the cpu but I really don't enjoy negotiating with sellers selling used computer parts. :)
Yeah, I ended up getting my son edge gaming edge wifi, usb gen 2 headers, 2.5gbe and onboard wifi, hard to beat. I picked him up a 3700x for $260 when 3600x was selling for almost retail ($240). 3600 was out of stock and 3300x was still either out of stock or $200+. Was the only real choice really. Bit more than I intended on buying, but it should last him for years. I also picked up myself a 3700x for $270 2 weeks later, came with AC Valhalla, then ran into all sorts of issues with my B450 Fatal1ty and ended up having to RMA, which is why I brought up he would be able to do so. Apparently there are 2 versions of this board and I had an early version; I tried all the BIOSes with zen2 support and none would boot. New board works fine, but it's got a slightly different internal model #, so I think maybe something weird with their initial batch or something, who knows. I'm almost hoping zen3 isn't that good so I don't feel the need to upgrade, lol.

Its for my kid. He doesnt need a fancy GPU for those GPUless cpus you mentioned.

I ended up getting him a current APU instead.

Still waiting. Almost tempted to buy off Aliexpress, but I know that once I do, they'll be available at MSRP from US stores, and I'll still have to wait 3 more weeks for my grey market chips to arrive. :(

Still waiting. Almost tempted to buy off Aliexpress, but I know that once I do, they'll be available at MSRP from US stores, and I'll still have to wait 3 more weeks for my grey market chips to arrive. :(

No they wont be in stores. They are exclusive for OEM use only. Amd will make 5000 series APU as their next major release more than likely.

Honestly, my kid played roblox and minecraft and a 3200g was plenty, so a 4700g is way overkill. Then he got into warzone...

The non-Pro Ryzen 4000G are OEM only. You may be able to get them from OEM spare parts sellers (though I have not come across any that stock them yet). Probably it will take a while until Ryzen 4000 desktops reach the markets for spare parts sellers to stock them. For the parts numbers, check OEM websites, e.g.: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...eries/5-14are05/90q3/parts/display/compatible

The Ryzen Pro 4000G are OEM+SI. Here in Europe, you can buy them normally from a number of retailers that also stock other tray CPUs. No "bootlegging" as alleged in that uninformed TPU article, the e-tailers can buy them normally from their distributors.

The Ryzen 3000 APUs are basically 2017 technology. I advise to not buy them in 2020, AMD should not be rewarded for this crap.

Back