when in [H] going to do a review of bad aXe2

deeznuts

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Messages
3,751
vanilla_guerilla said:
probably when intel sells more than 3 or 4 of them.

yet they review the quadfx platform when it has sold ... wait is it even for sale yet? the bad axe 2 is apparently one of the better 975x boards out there, I think it probably sells better then you think.
 

plinx0r

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 25, 2002
Messages
204
vanilla_guerilla said:
probably when intel sells more than 3 or 4 of them.

:rolleyes: Might want to rethink that statement. Refer to this thread where people with the SATA problem are starting to RMA their 680i boards for the Bad Axe 2.

I find it odd that there are not that many reviews out. I'm planning a C2D build and this is most likely the board I'm going with.
 

Deke

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 23, 2000
Messages
2,124
vanilla_guerilla said:
probably when intel sells more than 3 or 4 of them.

You may want to do a little research before making comments like that.

It's actually one of the best performing motherboards you can buy, particularly if you're buying a QX. It doesn't get much attention, but Intel isn't know for their "enthusiast" boards. They just quietly go about their business making the most solid mobos in the industry, and they sell a lot of them.
 

eljeffe

n00b
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
18
plinx0r said:
:rolleyes: Might want to rethink that statement. Refer to this thread where people with the SATA problem are starting to RMA their 680i boards for the Bad Axe 2.
...

I did exactly that yesterday.
 

vanilla_guerilla

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
5,895
Deke said:
You may want to do a little research before making comments like that.

It's actually one of the best performing motherboards you can buy, particularly if you're buying a QX. It doesn't get much attention, but Intel isn't know for their "enthusiast" boards. They just quietly go about their business making the most solid mobos in the industry, and they sell a lot of them.


well ok then. the board is not being reviewed by anyone because it is so popular and great. and actually, i believe its foxconn that are quietly going about intels business building the millions of badaxe2 boards that have been bought and universally loved..
sorry about my lack of research.
 

Down8

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Messages
3,046
I'd love to see an [H] review of this board, if you're listening, Kyle. :D

-bZj
 

Disconnect

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 23, 2002
Messages
74
vanilla_guerilla said:
well ok then. the board is not being reviewed by anyone because it is so popular and great. and actually, i believe its foxconn that are quietly going about intels business building the millions of badaxe2 boards that have been bought and universally loved..
sorry about my lack of research.
Intel designs them.
 

Jasonx82

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
6,691
One minor annoying issue about the badaxe 2 is that the front hdd activity led is controlled by the second sata controller? (Marvell) so disabling the secondary controller makes the hdd activity led useless. :( ( oh well i guess i just have to leave it on and wait for the marvell controller to search for raid arrays (makes bootup longer) :eek:
 

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
27,098
How much better can it really be than the already decent BA1 or the P5W DH?
 

deeznuts

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Messages
3,751
kirbyrj said:
How much better can it really be than the already decent BA1 or the P5W DH?
Improved OC features. And intel I think revised 975 and 965 specs for quadcore making the specs tighter, so possibly the BA2 has these.

well ok then. the board is not being reviewed by anyone because it is so popular and great. and actually, i believe its foxconn that are quietly going about intels business building the millions of badaxe2 boards that have been bought and universally loved..
sorry about my lack of research.
Apology accepted. :p Intel sells a lot of boards, and it is quite possible that nobody wants to review a board that is almost identical to a previous board, with improvements. Why spend the time to review a successor to a quite good board, when you have new 680i boards, RD600 board, etc. Not everything is black and white.
 

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
4,181
kirbyrj said:
How much better can it really be than the already decent BA1 or the P5W DH?

Its a higher OCer than the P5W DH now.
 

zagon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
244
I'm looking for a review myself. I've had my eye on this board for a while.
 

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Joined
Feb 9, 2002
Messages
57,205
dp0001 said:
nebulous...

No idea.

As far as I know, only one Intel board has ever been reviewed by the [H]. That was the Intel D875PBZ if I am not mistaken.
 

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
51,035
Quite simply there are other more exciting things to cover that keep the ads moving. People just do not widely read Intel mobo reivews. There are a few of you that appreciated them, as I do, but they just don't get any buzz started.
 

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
51,035
Dan_D said:
No idea.

As far as I know, only one Intel board has ever been reviewed by the [H]. That was the Intel D875PBZ if I am not mistaken.

Intel D925XECV2
Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Division(s): [H] Enthusiast
Category(s): Motherboard
Manufacturers(s): Intel
Author: Morry Teitelman
Permanent URL: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg3LDEsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0



Intel's Springdale D865PERL
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Division(s): [H] Enthusiast
Category(s): Motherboard
Manufacturers(s): Intel
Author: Morry Teitelman
Permanent URL: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc1LDEsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0



Intel D875PBZ
Friday , April 25, 2003

Division(s): [H] Enthusiast
Category(s): Motherboard
Manufacturers(s): Intel
Author: Morry Teitelman
Permanent URL: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDYwLDEsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
 

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
19,577
since some people in this thread seem to own one, or have them on the way, why not get together and do a "user" review of the board...? ? ?
 

verncat05

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
1,134
I can give you a few quick comments about it. I've been running it for about 2 weeks, but have been out of town for one of them, so I haven't really started pushing it yet.

1. It is the most stable board I have ever used. Period. If you ask what boards I've used in my system, I'll only list the conroe boards I am comparing this to: Gigabyte DS3, DFI 975X Infinity, Asus P5NSLI and EVGA 680i.
2. Yes, the HD light is directly tied to the Marvell sata raid controller.
3. The mouse will freeze for about two seconds when turning on my external sata hard drive enclosure, which is connected to the red Marvell sata connector. This is more of a minor inconvenience. it really doesn't impact anything.
4. Running this board at stock (ram at 800, fsb at 1066) I get the same 3dMark2005/2006 scores that I did when running the EVGA 680i (at ram 1066, fsb at 1066). Does this mean anything, really? Probably not, but it's a data point.
5. The chipset runs extremely cool, considering it is entirely passive. I have it in a Lian-Li 2000, so any board that doesn't have a heatpipe config is tops in my book!
6. Did I mention it's stable? It's goin on two weeks now without a single lock-up, restart, BSOD, or anything like that. My wife abused the crap out of it while I was gone and believe, if it would have even blinked wrong for a second, I would have heard about it!
7. I plan on overclocking it this week, now that I'm home. I'll post more resluts when I do that.

Shawn
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
8
verncat05 said:
7. I plan on overclocking it this week, now that I'm home. I'll post more resluts when I do that.

Shawn

You have my attention now... lol

Seriously though, I have been looking at this board also, but I am a review nut, and normally don't buy until it is pretty well revered by a couple review sites and users.
 

Jasonx82

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
6,691
verncat05 said:
I can give you a few quick comments about it. I've been running it for about 2 weeks, but have been out of town for one of them, so I haven't really started pushing it yet.

1. It is the most stable board I have ever used. Period. If you ask what boards I've used in my system, I'll only list the conroe boards I am comparing this to: Gigabyte DS3, DFI 975X Infinity, Asus P5NSLI and EVGA 680i.
2. Yes, the HD light is directly tied to the Marvell sata raid controller.
3. The mouse will freeze for about two seconds when turning on my external sata hard drive enclosure, which is connected to the red Marvell sata connector. This is more of a minor inconvenience. it really doesn't impact anything.
4. Running this board at stock (ram at 800, fsb at 1066) I get the same 3dMark2005/2006 scores that I did when running the EVGA 680i (at ram 1066, fsb at 1066). Does this mean anything, really? Probably not, but it's a data point.
5. The chipset runs extremely cool, considering it is entirely passive. I have it in a Lian-Li 2000, so any board that doesn't have a heatpipe config is tops in my book!
6. Did I mention it's stable? It's goin on two weeks now without a single lock-up, restart, BSOD, or anything like that. My wife abused the crap out of it while I was gone and believe, if it would have even blinked wrong for a second, I would have heard about it!
7. I plan on overclocking it this week, now that I'm home. I'll post more resluts when I do that.

Shawn

Thank you for the confirmation on the HD activity light :)
 

verncat05

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
1,134
To be totally honest, the hd light is the only drawback to this board. I can't tell you enough how much I really like it. Let me tell you, I've worked with almost every major board for AMD the last 5 years and the previous-listed Intel boards and this one tops them all. I change motherboards like some people change their underwear, so I can speak from experience on this one.

Shawn
 

Jasonx82

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
6,691
verncat05 said:
To be totally honest, the hd light is the only drawback to this board. I can't tell you enough how much I really like it. Let me tell you, I've worked with almost every major board for AMD the last 5 years and the previous-listed Intel boards and this one tops them all. I change motherboards like some people change their underwear, so I can speak from experience on this one.

Shawn

same i know its not a big deal but its annoying to leave the marvel controller on lol :D :D
 

indokyne

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
2,159
in reference to this "HD Light"... are you guys talking about an actual LED on the board that lights up (due to activity or w/e) ?
 

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
15,462
See, the thing is that Intel has created a bad name for themselves in the enthusiast motherboard segment. They have always had a hardass, absolutely no overclocking, policy on their boards, with highly restrictive BIOS features. This board, along with the highly popular Badaxe, while they do allow overclocking, must be modified to unlock the features, and hardly justify the price. The P5WDH and AW9D are quite simply better buys at the moment for 975X boards.
 

deeznuts

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Messages
3,751
InorganicMatter said:
See, the thing is that Intel has created a bad name for themselves in the enthusiast motherboard segment. They have always had a hardass, absolutely no overclocking, policy on their boards, with highly restrictive BIOS features. This board, along with the highly popular Badaxe, while they do allow overclocking, must be modified to unlock the features, and hardly justify the price. The P5WDH and AW9D are quite simply better buys at the moment for 975X boards.
There are people who disagree with you and say the BA2 is the best 975X board on the market. And at $199 a great value.

And I thought modifications were no longer necessary on the BA2
 

vanilla_guerilla

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
5,895
InorganicMatter said:
See, the thing is that Intel has created a bad name for themselves in the enthusiast motherboard segment. They have always had a hardass, absolutely no overclocking, policy on their boards, with highly restrictive BIOS features. This board, along with the highly popular Badaxe, while they do allow overclocking, must be modified to unlock the features, and hardly justify the price. The P5WDH and AW9D are quite simply better buys at the moment for 975X boards.

this guy is right. you can get other 975 boards (the p5w-dh for example) for like $20 more, have every oc option in bios, just as stable, every hardware oc option, about a thousand accessories, etc, etc. also asus customer support will respond to problems with overclocking. call up intel customer service and tell them your fsb only goes to 400mhz and see what kind of response you get.
 

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x4
Staff member
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
6,335
I just bought the Bad Axe 1. I got the "1" instead of version 2 because of a good deal.

It is shipping right now, so I cannot comment on how it actually works.

I agree ---- I would like to see a review here about the Bad Axe 2.

I bought this board for the stability it is supposed to have. The other boards seem to have too many issues... too many issues for me, at least. Not worth my trouble.

I hope to have this board folding later in January after I get some good memory for it.



 
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
3,808
InorganicMatter said:
See, the thing is that Intel has created a bad name for themselves in the enthusiast motherboard segment. They have always had a hardass, absolutely no overclocking, policy on their boards, with highly restrictive BIOS features. This board, along with the highly popular Badaxe, while they do allow overclocking, must be modified to unlock the features, and hardly justify the price. The P5WDH and AW9D are quite simply better buys at the moment for 975X boards.


Please explain this in more detail....?
 

RFGuy_KCCO

DCOTM x4, [H]ard|DCer of the Year 2019
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
909
The Bad Axe 2 does not need to be modified in any way for the overclocking options. They work straight out of the box. The only option that does not work, yet (Intel is supposed to fix this in a future BIOS release), is changing the multiplier. Otherwise, all OC options work right now. This is one huge difference from the Bad Axe 1!

Oh, yeah, one last thing. I concur; this is the most stable, easy to OC, MB I have ever used. I have used many boards and OC'd them all and I am hugely impressed with this board.
 

nhusby

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
303
gwhall007 said:
The Bad Axe 2 does not need to be modified in any way for the overclocking options. They work straight out of the box. The only option that does not work, yet (Intel is supposed to fix this in a future BIOS release), is changing the multiplier. Otherwise, all OC options work right now. This is one huge difference from the Bad Axe 1!

Oh, yeah, one last thing. I concur; this is the most stable, easy to OC, MB I have ever used. I have used many boards and OC'd them all and I am hugely impressed with this board.

so in other words, all the reviews for the previus versions of the board, do not do this version justice? it seems that a LOT of people turn down the bad axe 2 because of problems with bad axe1... to me that sounds like it could be a good point for a review of bad axe2 or atleast a comparo to bad axe 1...
 

deeznuts

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Messages
3,751
gwhall007 said:
The Bad Axe 2 does not need to be modified in any way for the overclocking options. They work straight out of the box. The only option that does not work, yet (Intel is supposed to fix this in a future BIOS release), is changing the multiplier. Otherwise, all OC options work right now. This is one huge difference from the Bad Axe 1!

Oh, yeah, one last thing. I concur; this is the most stable, easy to OC, MB I have ever used. I have used many boards and OC'd them all and I am hugely impressed with this board.
I've thought I read that there are multi adjustments on the BA2 but don't hold me to that.

nhusby, if you go over to xtremesystems, Tony of OCZ is testing the BA2 and all he said for now is it's one slick overclocker

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1907643&postcount=156
 

RFGuy_KCCO

DCOTM x4, [H]ard|DCer of the Year 2019
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
909
deeznuts said:
I've thought I read that there are multi adjustments on the BA2 but don't hold me to that.

The multi adjustment is there, it just doesn't do anything at this time.
 

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
4,181
True there are other mobo brands known for better overclocking. The BA2's two biggest PR problems are the previous less than stellar reviews of the original BA and the fact BA2 released as the 680i mobos were hitting the stores. Lot of consumers are focusing on 650i, 680i, and RD600 chipset mobos now and consider 570 mobos getting old technology and passe. Just bad timing for BA2 to launch IMO. If the BA2 had come out instead of the original BA at the time it did things might be different. Gotta give Intel kudos though for trying to improve upon something. Maybe in the future they'll be more agressive in this area?
 

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Joined
Feb 9, 2002
Messages
57,205
If the Intel chipsets were allowed to support SLI, then I am sure more people would be looking at the BA2 more seriously. It would be one of my first choices if I were buying a mobo today and didn't want/need SLI.
 

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
4,181
Thats true too. If Intel had it in SLI flavor then it would get more attention. :)
 
Top