When forcing 6670 with 6550 integrated graphics computer wont post

RegalZulu

n00b
My problem is this, I turn on my computer and it posts. etc runs to windows and I can do w/e. When I go to bios to turn on integrated graphics (Note I am running off of the 6670) with the 6550d and set the VMA Buffer to 2GB (Because that's how big the card is) I save the settings and guess what? It wont post... I reset bios and it works just fine again. Only thing is, I only have the 6670 working.. With AMD you HAVE to enable the integrated graphics from the bios so that AMD Catalyst will even recognize the second card.. Please help??? I have no idea what is going on..
So this is my set up:

MOTHERBOARD- ASUS F1a75-m pro ( uefi bios with ez mode, epu and tpu on board switches, and all the bells and whistles for your overclocking needs )

CPU- AMD Llano a8-3870k UNLOCKED ( quad core 3.0ghz stock )

CPU COOLER- Swiftech polaris 120 w/ 120mm "Hydraumatic" fan it has 5-direct contact copper pipes

SSD ( solid state drive )- Kingston Hyper X 90Gb sata 3 6gb/s ( windows 7 ultimate 64bit pre-installed and used as primary boot drive )

HDD- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb 7200 rpm ( set up as storage )

OPTICAL DRIVE- LG Black 10x BD-ROM 3D playback and M-disc support

RAM- G.Skill ARES series 8 Gb ( 2x4 Gb ) 1866mhz speed stock ( these sticks accent the blue color of the ASUS board and are low profile in order to accommodate the behemoth of a cooler the polaris 120 is, the clearance space is ridiculous )

GPU- Diamond 6670 Radeon HD 2 Gb 128-bit memory lane and sports a GDDR3 memory note that this is dual graphics enabled meaning that the single 6670 discrete graphic card is used in conjunction ( I didn't use the word "crossfire" because it's not ) with the integrated graphics on the cpu die ( notice that it has GDDR3 memory and not the faster GDDR5 memory this is because when dual graphics is enabled it converts GDDR5 memory into GDDR3, thus defeating the purpose of getting that specific memory spec since this desktop is dual graphics enabled and ready )

POWER SUPPLY- Raidmax RX-600AF 600 watt power supply and is 80 plus bronze certified

Now Dual graphics is what AMD calls the use of the 6670 with the 6550d integrated graphics , I have enabled it myself but haven't overclocked ANYTHING. 6670 is the highest this cpu will "dual graphics" with.

You're running 64 bit Windows, correct? Best to make sure (right-click Computer, select Properties, and look under System Type. It should say 64-bit instead of 32-bit)

An easy first diagnostic step to try would be to try updating your motherboard's BIOS.

If the BIOS update doesn't fix it, or you're already on the latest, try pulling the 6670, and see if Windows boots with just the integrated video. This will at least let you know if the integrated video is working *at all*. If it boots with just the integrated video, make sure you have the latest video drivers installed, and then try booting with the 6670 in place.

CC'd from my post on ITX Gamer

I think I figured out my troubles with the Dual-Graphics (...)

In my BIOS I'd had my default set to the PCIe slot, with DG enabled. It turns out, as Steve had mentioned before, that it really is as easy as plugging in the new card.

My problem before was that with Dual-Graphics enabled, Kombustor and various games were still only using the 6670. Now that I've got a fresh install of Win7, drivers, etc, and have set the primary graphics driver to onboard, all of my tests so far do use both GPUs!

An added bonus is that I can now use my spare monitor with the iGFX, since the 6670 doesn't support analog video.

You'll need to switch your monitors over to the onboard video. My build is almost identical to yours, and I don't know how many times I forgot to switch the HDMI cable over after setting the BIOS up!

Bottom line: make sure your drivers are updated, use onboard graphics ports not the GPU's, enable dual-view in BIOS, WIN.

CC'd from my post on ITX Gamer

You'll need to switch your monitors over to the onboard video. My build is almost identical to yours, and I don't know how many times I forgot to switch the HDMI cable over after setting the BIOS up!

Bottom line: make sure your drivers are updated, use onboard graphics ports not the GPU's, enable dual-view in BIOS, WIN.

Alright so I updated all my drivers, I enabled integrated, but the only way it would post is if I enabled multi monitor display to make it play from the board. So at least my dual graphics works now! Only problem is this, the multi monitor reserves 2-3 gb of ram for graphics and this is causing me to have major spikes in my games... Dota 2 for example. This build shouldn't have trouble running this game and yet I have ridiculous spikes constantly... Ram speeds are at the 1864mhz setting. (Or so). Any idea now what to do? Computer wont post if I turn off the multi monitor setting.

Back