When do you uninstall games from your drive?

When do you uninstall games for good

• When you run out of SSD space?

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • When you finish the game?

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • When you're sick of the game?

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • When the game is outdated and no longer supported?

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • When the game is replaced with a newer version of the same type of game?

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • When you get your money's worth?

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Battlefield 2042!!!

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • When you refund the game from Epic , Steam , UBI or Activision

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • When Real life priorities take over?

• When you get carpal tunnel and eyestrain?

• Because you no longer have time?

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • When your PC can no longer run it?

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
I have a 4TB RAID 0 with 4 1TB Samsung 850 SSD just for Steam. I always have space for them all.

I only uninstall when doing a Windows reformat (which I do twice a year)...I try to keep at least 1 From Software title always installed on my drives

When do you uninstall games from your drive?​

I don't

1649439851207.png

Games I'm not actively playing just get the install moved to the HDD for 'cold storage' but still installed and up to date

Nothing worse than getting the urge to play something real quick, even if just nostalgia, and you have to install it first - just end up going 'oh nevermind'

Finish then uninstall. Some games last a while. I still have AC Valhalla installed because I have not played DLC. I may one day eventually. Unless I run out of space, I will keep it installed until then. I'll do the same with some other games. After finished there may be some side quests (the small ones) so I may jump back in every now and then. But typically I won't load them up if done with main story and big side quests. Days Gone is one of these. It has dozens upon dozens of hoards and I finished about half of them. I may jump in and do a few more but will never complete them all. As I am running out of space, if I need to install a new game, Days Gone will be gone from my SSD in short order.

For single player games, when I finish them. For multiplayer games, when I get sick of them.

Eh, if this was the old pre NVME as the must have days, I would absolutely fill my external and HDD to the brim with games.

But nowadays, games just run so much better on faster drives it's almost an annoyance to run off of a HDD.

But then again, my NVME drives are dwarfed in capacity. So I only have the previously played and current rotation installed.
Ark(350 gigs with all the maps!), COD(150 gigs!), ESO(150 gigs!), And another 6 to 8 games in the 40 to 100 gig bracket.

Adds up quick.

I am curious to see if downloading more games to my HDD and then changing install directory to an NVME when I want to play it, is faster than fresh download of that game ...

I am curious to see if downloading more games to my HDD and then changing install directory to an NVME when I want to play it, is faster than fresh download of that game ...

it is you're talking maybe 10 minutes and i think that's even ssd>hdd so other way might be quicker

I finally uninstalled a bunch about a year ago to make more HDD space. I'm always afraid to uninstall because you never know when the desire to okay STALKER or Half Life 1 might hit me.

I haven't been able to fill my 512gb nvme drive up with games. I seem to naturally rotate between around 5-10 games at a time. If I know I'm done playing one for a long time I usually uninstall it so I can forget about it for a while (and also set myself up for a clean install for the future).

Now that I have fiber I just uninstall after I beat it. I'll still have my saves should I choose to reinstall.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
Games I'm not actively playing just get the install moved to the HDD for 'cold storage' but still installed and up to date

I should start doing this considering I don't have fiber. My mass storage is on NAS, so it won't be an instant install, but much faster than redownloading. I've recently started reaching the point where my 2TB of SSD space isn't enough for all my games/software/photos.

Normally I do uninstall. I typically never go back to a game after I finish it unless it is years later.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
I should start doing this considering I don't have fiber. My mass storage is on NAS, so it won't be an instant install, but much faster than redownloading. I've recently started reaching the point where my 2TB of SSD space isn't enough for all my games/software/photos.
It's a good solution. I'm still backing up my entire GoG collection to my mech drive.

I remove the games when I don't play it anymore. Or I won't play it for various reasons.

My main game drive is a 14TB drive using Promocache with a 1TB Gen 4 NVME and an 8 gig ram cache.

I haven't had to uninstall in years except for shitty Xbox Gamepass Games because their installation setup doesn't work with Promocache.

I don't

View attachment 461969

Nothing worse than getting the urge to play something real quick, even if just nostalgia, and you have to install it first - just end up going 'oh nevermind'
Well, shit, I could actually fit my entire Steam library on a drive that size.

1650038155612.png

I uninstall most games after I complete them. I don't replay most titles, so that's basically when I'm finished playing them for good. There are some titles that I keep around for repeated replays, though. The Souls games being prime examples. I also keep tons of older fighting games on my HD so I can quickly hop in and play a few rounds.

I keep everything on spinners, and move to SSD if I want to play them. Also a lot of games run just fine of spinners if you have gobs of RAM or they are old anyways. I stage my storage as I use server grade SSDs in u.2 format for the OS, gumstick m.2 for rapid access stuff, SATA SSD for some games, and then spinners for all else and then I have a 32tb NAS here. You can get 14+ TB of spinner cheap, toss in a RAID card and be done with it and worries. Everyone is way to obssessed with fast storage but outside of the OS most people aren't running gobs of VMs or SQL databases. The stuff where I need quick storage for is another box and that uses crazy form factors and SAS drives for the spinners, power consumption is insane and SAS drives and also enterprise SSDs don't come cheap. But I run a ton of VMs off Hyper-V on that to deal with issues and create situations for our consulting business (I'm former Navy you can figure it out and my backgrouns is Unix and Linux), it's a dual socket monster.

Back