When do DX10 cards start to get here?

Haven't really seen any firm times on this. Some are saying as early as the begining of fall. With that in mind, I personally wouldn't get one until Vista is out, since DX10 functionality will only work with it.

So realistically, I do not think that its something to consider until then, unless the the DX10 cards are so badass that they spank DX9 cards even in DX9, I don't think that's going to be the case.

heatlesssun said:
Haven't really seen any firm times on this. Some are saying as early as the begining of fall. With that in mind, I personally wouldn't get one until Vista is out, since DX10 functionality will only work with it.

So realistically, I do not think that its something to consider until then, unless the the DX10 cards are so badass that they spank DX9 cards even in DX9, I don't think that's going to be the case.

of course they will beat the dx9 cards, just look at the 9700pro, even though it was DX9 and you couldn't play DX9 games until like half a year later, it still dominated in DX8

That might be true for in a single card to single card comparison, but when you enter multi-GPU into the equation, I doubt that a single high-end DX10 card will crush the 7950, unless that single card is an SLI card for the 7950.

One thing that people do miss with the SLI debate is that SLI will give you next gen single card performance, albeit more exspensive. A QUAD-SLI 7950 solution will it least in some games out perform DX10 single cards no doubt.

So the way I look at it is this. Don't worry about next gen technology on a next gen OS that's still in beta at this point. Too many questions and too few answers. And I wouldn't expect a DX10 single card to wipe the floor with current gen SLI. Maybe I'm wrong, I just think I'm being realistic.

Think of it this way... x1900XTX > 7800GTX 256MB SLI

So R600 > G80 > 7950 is a definite possibility...

R600 Crossfire > G80 SLI > 7950 Quad SLI.

ElMoIsEviL said:
Think of it this way... x1900XTX > 7800GTX 256MB SLI

So R600 > G80 > 7950 is a definite possibility...

R600 Crossfire > G80 SLI > 7950 Quad SLI.

While the X1900XT was faster most of the time in the benchmarks I've seen, it wasn't a clean sweep with even 7800GTX SLI.

I do think its a little unrealistic to to assume that an R600 or G80 will beat a 7950 hands down in DX9 games. There simply not enough known about any of this technology, as there a big change to software and drivers as well. It's just not known.

You can always wait six months, a year and say "Look you wasted you money on those 7950's, this R600 is faster and cheaper". But I'm using the 7950 now. Heck, I wish the 7950 had existed six months ago when I got my pair of 7800 512 GTX's. Same performance for less than half the price!

But there was no 7950 six months ago. Comparing technology over time is pointless. You always going to get a better price/performance ration in the future. However, SLI does give you the ability to get next gen performance of a single card today, exspensive true, but its in hand now.

Yeah, it was, and as usual, well the conversation meaders. Makes life more intresting!

I don't have any links on hand to back this up, but IIRC nVidia will launch G80 sometime this fall, before ATI's R600 which should be out around the holiday season. Eitherway, Vista won't be out until after both so I would definitely hold out for the DX10 benches before making any purchases. I have a good feeling about R600 though :p

/sigh

why does everyone keep saying "hold off on DX10, it doesn't come out till Vista launches..."

did you wait on the 9700 till DX9 games showed up? no, it was a bad ass card when it was released, and so will these, if you are looking for a bad ass card with some future handling get it!

the 7900 series already has DX10 capability. This was noted by PNY upon it's launch. This is why it's one of the most future proof cards right now.

I don't know if the X1900 will be 100% DX10 compatible but the 7900's will be.

Most people who are going to buy DX10 cards are going to use them in Vista, not XP, especially gamers. Why buy a product for which you won't have any performance data for its main purpose?

Gramted, if the DX10 cards kick ass and take no prisoners in DX9 on XP, then sure. But if they don't show a great deal of improvement over DX9 cards, which I suspect they won't, then wait for Vista.

DX10 is a MUCH bigger transition over DX9 than DX9 over DX8. DX10 is NOT backwards compatible to start, plus if the initial reports I've been hearing about DX10 cards needs 300W of power, single cards, no multi-GPU deal, then why rush?

SLI was cool, but I waited a year to get it myself simply because I didn't want to beta test.

There are a ton of transitions going in in the PC world over the next year, and I want to see things, and espcially, I want to see DX10 on Vista before I get the hardware unless its killer.

WARDOZER9 said:
the 7900 series already has DX10 capability. This was noted by PNY upon it's launch. This is why it's one of the most future proof cards right now.

Really? Have any links because nVidia's never said anything like that that I'm aware.

Don't really care right now...big games that are near the end of development were developed with DX9 in mind. Maybe next year for me..

WARDOZER9 said:

Sure about that? I know they were developed to be Vista compatible but I never heard anything about DX10.

I will not buy any DX10 cards untill there is a *good* DX10 game.

I wouldn't jump the gun so fast, let them work out the kinks and see what it can do.

WARDOZER9 said:

So future proof they can't do AA+HDR.
:rolleyes:

Tigerblade said:
So future proof they can't do AA+HDR.
:rolleyes:

That doesn't make it not future proof at all...Sure the 1900 may have it, but what if it can't run DX10? So future proof it can run AA+HDR but not DX10 right?

XSNiper said:
That doesn't make it not future proof at all...Sure the 1900 may have it, but what if it can't run DX10? So future proof it can run AA+HDR but not DX10 right?

Actually, since HDR+AA is, technically, a requirement of D3D10, it's more likely that the X1900 is D3D10 ready than the 7900GTX.

Sadly, neither one is, and there is no D3D10 hardware on the market right now.

joemama said:
Sure about that? I know they were developed to be Vista compatible but I never heard anything about DX10.

Exactly and iirc, DX10 cards will have unified shaders so that make 7900 cards not 100% DX10 compatible, just Vista compatible in compatibility mode.

who is to say the current cards cannot be retro-flashed for dx10 support? I seem to recall alot of over-engineering of the x1k ATI cards for future proofing. I am guessing that they *may* be able to play DX10 games (probubly not near the performance of the native dx10 cards tho)

unified shaders is not a requirement to become DX10 compliant

who is to say the current cards cannot be retro-flashed for dx10 support? I seem to recall alot of over-engineering of the x1k ATI cards for future proofing. I am guessing that they *may* be able to play DX10 games (probubly not near the performance of the native dx10 cards tho)

only editional engineering these cores would get is to be able to use GDDR4

Trimlock said:
unified shaders is not a requirement to become DX10 compliant

Yeah, from my understanding it's just "prefered" by MS, but not necessary

XSNiper said:
Sure the 1900 may have it, but what if it can't run DX10? So future proof it can run AA+HDR but not DX10 right?

It'll run DX10 as well as a 7900GTX.....ie not at all....altho I'm wondering where I've put in my post that the x1900 is DX10 compliant....no that's right, I didn't....

You seem to have missed my point entirely :rolleyes:

I'll spell it out for you. To say a 7900GTX is DX10 compliant is ludicrous. It doesn't even have as good a feature spec as it's competitor, so calling it future proof is kinda dumb don't you think?

Why do ppl post such utter shite?

DX9 will do almost everything DX10 can do... so who gives a frig?

Although the new lower overhead DX10 does sound enticing.

travbrad said:

Thank you for clearing this, i just remember reading somewhere it's a requirement.

travbrad said:

Heck, it's not even preferred. It just makes more sense that since each stage can do the same stuff, you should have circuitry that can do that stuf for any stage.

DX9 will do almost everything DX10 can do... so who gives a frig?

...what? The jump frlom D3D9 to D3D10 is almost as great as, like, D3D6 to D3D9. The effects you'll see with D3D10, and the substantial performance improvements and so on will change your mind once you see what it is truly capable of.

To return to the original question(kinda)

I'm expecting to rebuild my system around the end of this summer when conroe comes out. Either buy a Opty setup or Conroe depending on costs. When I do this i need to retire the 6800AGP card, and was planning on picking up a new video card, while I hate to ask the "should I do this" question, I feel I have to ask.

Should I wait for DX10 cards to come out, or will DX9 last for about 4-5 years before I can afford to upgrade the system again?

I hate to keep doing the "wait for the next big thing" cause if you keep waiting, there will alwasy be something new on the horizon!

To the OP..

God pushes back dx10 cards 1 day for everytime you touch yourself...

that is bad news bears

Should I wait for DX10 cards to come out, or will DX9 last for about 4-5 years before I can afford to upgrade the system again?

honestly, we are kinda close to the release, and we won't see conroe hit the shelves for a while, hell we probably won't see high end conroe for a while after the low end hits the market. that said by the time you see the official release dates for the DX10 cards it shouldn't be too long after your planned upgrade.

its not like these cards are only worth while in DX10 games, DX10 games of course is where its going to shine, but to say its a worthless upgrade is to say the 9700 was a worthless upgrade over the 4600

Back