When did Minecraft start sucking?

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I just built a new Ryzen 7 rig (specs in sig) about a month ago and just today I installed Minecraft. That shit is unplayable. It is choppy, so much so that I can't even move half the time, and every block I hit, I have to hit it twice to actually break it because the blocks keep respawning after the first time I break them.

WTF happened? This game ran fine on my old quad-core rig with 8 GB of RAM and an HD 7870 video card. My last rig and my new rig are both 8-cores with 16GB and 32GB of RAM respectively and an R9 290x video card. Why is Minecraft so choppy it's like my computer can't handle it?

Minecraft runs smooth as butter on my 6-core APU, 8GB laptop with integrated graphics. What gives?

What do you have the view distance set at?

Sounds like you may have a problem on your end. I just loaded it up on my Ryzen 7/RX 580. On an 'Amplified' map, view distance of 18 chunks, and no mods I get 55-65 FPS at 1080p. At 4k I see some drops down below the 40fps range and hiccups when new chunks are generating. With a regular map I generally get 60-80 FPS at either resolution. Optifine can help smooth things out.

Last edited:
Mr. Beast got his start streaming Minecraft so after that it started to suck and then he became a millionaire.

Last edited:
After reading all the posts here.... something in my head seems to say: "So, I guess it does suck now."

I upped the RAM allocation from 1GB to 4GB and reduced my view distance from 32 chunks to 16 chunks. It's running fine now.

Yeah I was going to ask if the desktop had selected a more aggressive view distance by default over the humble laptop.

Ray tracing for Minecraft might be the perfect starter application for ray tracing. Just keeping my first gen RTX expectations in check. It would be nice to put this hardware to use before 2nd/3rd gen though.

edit: I'd love to see L4D updated for ray tracing ...

Last edited:
Back