When creating a character, do most people just make a white person?

I also don't quite get the whole make a replicate of yourself idea. The whole point of games is to get away from reality, so why would you want to make yourself and play yourself in a fantasy world?

I insert myself into the environment/situation/plot. I've never been in a post-nuclear wasteland, an ice covered nordic continent with fantastical creatures and giants, a massive space station, or any one of a million fantasy settings myself. I'd qualify that as getting away from reality, whether my character resembles me or not.

I replicate myself, a 6'1" 200lb white guy, in every game that has a character creator.

It's kind of pathetic that so many guys play females because they "don't want to stare at a male the whole time", as if it will turn them gay or something.

lol. you gay bro?

You're forced to choose white. Developers make other races as ugly as possible.

I replicate myself, a 6'1" 200lb white guy, in every game that has a character creator.

It's kind of pathetic that so many guys play females because they "don't want to stare at a male the whole time", as if it will turn them gay or something.

It's not that I personally "don't want to" but if a heterosexual male is offered the choice to stare at a girl vs a guy all the time....what do you think they'll pick?

I always try to create my GF's build, petite hot blonde girl.

I'm a gay guy, and usually make the prettiest looking poa I can so I have something nicer to look at. Unfortunately, some of the more "ethnic" looking options are often pretty busted looking. And I'm shallow and don't choose them.

Not stuck on pale skin though, just offer nicer features on the face, and skin tones that don't look like burnt coal and it might be tolerable to play as. For example, I've NEVER seen a character that had a more east indian look to him, I'd go with a character like that if you could create a decent looking one.

The whole point of games is to get away from reality, so why would you want to [...] play yourself in a fantasy world?

You answered your own question, really. I mean, I prefer to remove myself completely—as I mentioned, I play almost exclusively as a female—but playing as yourself in a setting completely removed from reality is a perfectly valid conduit for escapism.

And—I can't leave this one alone—I disagree with the sentiment that "the whole point of games is to get away from reality."

skinny tall white chicks, very pale/white, blond or black hair, slutty, looking like a pr0nstar. its freaking hilarious to see a skinny super model like character goring and murdering fucking people, its pretty cool.

I usually just play as me cause I dont know why fuck off get that camera out of my face.

I hit the random button if there is one, maybe change the hair style if it looks off.
Don't care how it comes out, then I give them the most ridiculous name I can think of, like boba d.blee or something.
Character creation usually annoys me. I don't care for it. Names, now thats where its at. I want funny names all around

I'm an African American male. I go the doppelgänger route. Yeah, I'm hung up on myself at 59!!! Btw, not sure if you've noticed but this thread is actually a good hearted, good spirited conversation on race...and hasn't had to be locked by an admin...yet!!

No matter who I play as though, I still suck at games...but I love it!!! :cool:

There's one constant exception to my usual choices. I am always Phobos is Quake 3 Arena. Cool flashing armor, "doom guy" helmet, and the concept of "slipgate explorer" always resonated with me.

I wish I had the skill set to create character models and skins. If I did, I would create a character creation demo of the "typical" game where the waspy options were these aryan supermodels, and the asians/black/indian/latin options were some grotesque misshapen beast like constructions.

It's like dragon ball z where the sayans were literally some mythical "aryan" supermen

fear_of_the_super_sayan_by_hayabusasnake-d5jexjl.png

And of course, when you got to see a darker skinned character... this was the result:

361450-mr_popo_01.jpg

It's just like, guys, come on!

That said, Piccolo looks sentient at least. And ubuu/uub looked great.

TRoU_-_Majuub.png

Skin color doesn't matter to me. I randomly pick a character to mix things up a bit.

I try to make something/someone that would make a cool movie character. My favourite Oblivion character was a short-haired warrior woman named 'cal' who only wore leather and animal skins. My favourite Skyrim character was an older, more stealth-oriented dark elf guy who used a bow. It's really just whatever seems cool at the time.

I am one of those people who prefer to play females in games with third person presentation. And it's not about gayness or any other bullshit like that, its simply a matter of aesthetics.

And, at least for me, it isn't universal. For example, my main in WoW was a drawf male. My main in DDO was a male human. My main in TSW was a male human. My main in WHO was another drawf male (maybe i have a short fetish.... Hermmmm...) :p

One could say your desire to replicate yourself "in game" was a case of severe narcissism, if you want to throw labels around.

Honesty, what you play in game doesn't matter to anybody but yourself. And the reasons can be as varied as anything. The people trying to read something into character choice are the people who need their heads examined! :D

blegh, thread is already fucking derailed.. hey! cageymaru! but that is fucking good! D4rkn3ss is white fucking king god here! south of brazil motherfucker!! :D :D :D

It's like dragon ball z where the sayans were literally some mythical "aryan" supermen

And of course, when you got to see a darker skinned character... this was the result:

It's just like, guys, come on!

That said, Piccolo looks sentient at least. And ubuu/uub looked great.

Holy crap, I never drew the connection between Aryans and super sayans!:eek: Damn!

Since I started playing MMOs I normally make a chick I like to look at ..... Doesn't matter color or race they can all be attractive. . . I had a game crush on Liara T'soni from Mass Effect and she was blue! .... Don't Judge

I either make one that looks like me, looks like a girl I want to fuck, or looks like a walking corpse.

I only play FPS and Starcraft 2 meaning I don't give a shit.

Yep. Just started playing as a female about a week ago after realizing how small of a target they are. The sound effects take some getting used to. But, I would say there's no noticeable difference in game play outside of sound.
In case you were wondering, an African American female with face paint. I think I'll be moving to the ghilly suit female for stealth reasons...

Depends, an American of German descent I prefer to play with Roland in Borderlands. I play a Nord character in Skyrim, an Imperial in Oblivion, and a Dark Elf in Morrowind. My Mass Effect toon, German Shepard, is white. I mostly play Tauren in WoW.

OK, deep inside you want to be a white game character.

I don't know, I play the black guy in L4D and the white southern guy in L4D2. I'm neither black nor white. I think I want to be a goat next.

I play the chick, Zoe, all the time in L4D and Rochelle in L4D2... lol

I make a white character so that I can more easily get a job and also get paid more gold for quests as opposed to the minority races in MMO's.

Back