When can we expect the 3070 cards to be out for sale?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I am in need of a VideoCard upgrade soon. My system is in my sig, the main PC parts are modern and up to date, I just did a system upgrade last winter just not the video card, knowing I'd hold out for something newer. Currently running a GTX 1070, and I play games on my 40" 4k monitor, and it just barely handles them, well certain games seems to do well, Destiny 2 runs ok @ 4k, but Battlefield stutters and gets a bit choppy. I am still playing WoW ( World of Warcraft ) player, and 4k with Ultra maxed settings and 8x AA can be a slog, in certain areas, it will be like 35 to 40 fps or so. And then some parts of WoW easily does the cap of 60 fps solid.

So I don't plan to buy a 3080 Ti. that's way too pricey, but as long as I can get a 3070 for a good price, and most importantly it will maybe double my fps compared to my 1070, that'd be great. At the very least I want a card that will give me 50% better benchmarks bare minimum, but much prefer something that will get me 75% to 100% improvement.

You can get second hand 2080 ti instead of 3070.

It looks like they might be close to the same price when it's all said and done. I'm predicting $600 used 2080Ti's.

I think maybe by the holiday season or early 2021 is when we'll see the 3070.

On most releases current top card is as fast as next gen second card so 2080 ti >= 3080.

On most releases current top card is as fast as next gen second card so 2080 ti >= 3080.

Not necessarily. The GTX1070 was as fast as a 980Ti for example. The 1080Ti is somewhat slower than a 2080 but faster than a 2070 generally. I don't remember how the 780Ti vs 970/980 played out.

However, the pricing is what's important. The previous gen "Ti" cards are generally lower than the current gen's XX70 card (at least recently). A 1080Ti is usually around $400-500 used and a 2070 is $400-500 depending on the model (launch price was closer to $500-600).

I think we'll see a $600 3070 with performance slightly under a 2080Ti (rumor has it the 3080 vanilla will be 10-15% better than the 2080Ti), but with more RTX horsepower (if it's important to you) and a somewhat lower power draw (guessing 75-100W less).

So what is September 1st still the announcement date for the new 3000 series cards?

and I would think and past history then the 3070 card should be on shelves within a month or so after that?

So October I should be able to pick up a card?

I am still playing WoW ( World of Warcraft ) player, and 4k with Ultra maxed settings and 8x AA can be a slog, in certain areas, it will be like 35 to 40 fps or so. And then some parts of WoW easily does the cap of 60 fps solid.

You should not need 8x MSAA at 4k resolution. They actually removed MSAA from WoW for an entire expansion before BFA because it was so inefficient compared to other methods and also has absolutely no effect on certain textures where it is needed the most, for example, transparent textures. Things like the nameplates over the top of player's and NPC's heads. They can be difficult to read at a distance, mainly because of aliasing. MSAA does nothing to help. The only real way to fix aliased transparent textures is to use a resolution scale >100%.

Instead of 8x MSAA, first you should try 4k with CMAA only. It will probably be good enough, and dropping MSAA will result in a huge performance increase.

If you feel like you still need more AA, then try:
CMAA + 4x MSAA (should still give you better performance than 8x MSAA only).
CMAA + 150% resolution scale (MSAA disabled).

I run a 1440p 144hz monitor. I usually use CMAA + 150% resolution scale (meaning I render the game at 4k), and that gives me better results than native resolution + 8x MSAA, with no issues maintaining 100+ FPS most of the time.

You should not need 8x MSAA at 4k resolution. They actually removed MSAA from WoW for an entire expansion before BFA because it was so inefficient compared to other methods and also has absolutely no effect on certain textures where it is needed the most, for example, transparent textures. Things like the nameplates over the top of player's and NPC's heads. They can be difficult to read at a distance, mainly because of aliasing. MSAA does nothing to help. The only real way to fix aliased transparent textures is to use a resolution scale >100%.

Instead of 8x MSAA, first you should try 4k with CMAA only. It will probably be good enough, and dropping MSAA will result in a huge performance increase.

If you feel like you still need more AA, then try:
CMAA + 4x MSAA (should still give you better performance than 8x MSAA only).
CMAA + 150% resolution scale (MSAA disabled).

I run a 1440p 144hz monitor. I usually use CMAA + 150% resolution scale (meaning I render the game at 4k), and that gives me better results than native resolution + 8x MSAA, with no issues maintaining 100+ FPS most of the time.
Remember WOW can be highly CPU bound as well in certain areas and instances

Remember WOW can be highly CPU bound as well in certain areas and instances

WoW is mainly CPU bound as a result of not being very well multi-threaded. It comes down to per-core performance and there is basically no benefit beyond 4 cores. It got a bit better when they introduced DX12 support. It went from using 1-1.5 cores to 1-3 cores depending on what you are doing. I hope that changes in Shadowlands but I'm not holding my breath.

With that said, it's still not difficult to hit a GPU bottleneck, even with a high-end GPU, if you use maximum settings in conjuction with >100% resolution and/or aggressive AA. Max settings + CMAA + 150% resolution scale will max out my RTX 2080 at times.

buy a cheap 5700 right now, powerplay table mod it, and then sell it when you upgrade. Not a huge investment and should be able to flip it before new amd cards come out. Unless you want 4k 60fps minimums, 5700xt can pretty much handle every game out there right now as is.

In all honesty though, if you have a 1070 right now, I would just ride it out till a card is release that you want to buy. You might not even like the new Nvidia cards, Sometimes I'm really dissappointed with new amd or nvidia offerings and I jump ship back and forth between them every few years depending on who has the best juice, or puts out a really aggressive deal on silicon.

Back