When can we expect a HD7970 price drop?

Z

Ziontrain

After recently moving to 3x 27" Dell IPS (5760 x 1080), I need to get another HD7970 for my games to be butter smooth again at max settings.

I know any answer is just speculation, but when do you think that the HD 7970 will fall below $300? Maybe around the time the 780's come out?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe, but if current pricing is any indication, don't expect anything. My recommendation is pick up something used if you need something now.

it really depends on what Nvidia does with their pricing. If they drop the 600 series down and put the 700 series in it's place, then maybe you'd see a bit of a price drop. But in reality, AMD would probably just add another game or two to it's bundles to hopefully offset the price.
I don't see Nvidia dropping the 600 series prices though. They will probably float around the same point they are at now, and the new series will be a bit higher. I am really hoping for a $499 GTX780, but in reality, on launch I'd say they will be $599-$699, just cause they are Nvidia and can do so.

So we will find out in the next few weeks.

Also I'd say people will be wanting to unload their 7970's to upgrade, so you may find an awesome deal on a used card in a couple weeks.

Or.......

sell your 7970 and buy a brand new 7990.:D

I would only go that way if less heat and power consumption are more important then higher performance.

7990>7970 x2 (where power consumption/heat/space are concerned)
7990<7970 x2 (where performance in concerned)

Unless AMD comes out with some magic drivers to boost performance of the 7990.

Speed>power consumption................this isn't woosieOCP.:D

I paid $330 for my Sapphire 7970 Dual-X. Not too shabby if ya ask me! Oh, this was used of course...

I'd like a price drop too, but demand for 79xx cards still seem very high and nvidia week probably just continue their price gouging.

It depends on how nvidia prices their upcoming cards. If the 780 ends up being $699-799 at launch, I doubt there would be a price drop.

seems unlikely any time soon, here they are pretty decent prices now.
still a bit more expensive than the deal I got 10 months ago.heh.

seems unlikely any time soon, here they are pretty decent prices now.
still a bit more expensive than the deal I got 10 months ago.heh.

Thats right they are still afordable cheap cards, a price drop can only possible if NVIDiA launch the 700 series at the same price than now 600 series are and the 600 series receive a considerable price drop... Or if AMD launch a new HD 8000 series and push a price drop over HD 7000.. If both cases are not possible is hard to believe a price drop..

I for one wouldn't mind a crap ton of used 7970's hitting the market. I wouldn't mind upgrading to one on the cheap. I like my 7870, but if I can pick up a 7970 on the cheap, I will.

I would like to see the GTX 600 series prices drop to more closely match where AMD's 7000 series is. It's pretty much a no brainer that AMD cards smoke Nvidia's in value, so AMD doesn't have to drop their prices as of now. If Nvidia dropped the 680's down to 7970 prices, it would put more pressure on the competition and then maybe AMD would do something. Since a 7970 is technically faster then a 680 it would make more sense for them to be priced similar. It seems kind of backwards that the faster card is 100 cheaper, plus comes with a few AAA games.

But apparently Nvidia sells an assload of cards anyways (or just clears enough profit), so I guess what they are doing works for them. Therefore I figure the 600 series will stay very close to where it's at, and their new 700 series will be even more expensive. Maybe when AMD finally drops their 8000 series (or whatever their next series is called) we will see a few price drops to everything else. i'm just hoping they pack a punch.

I personally think my 7970's are great, BUT in CFX they suck ass in everyday business,, like watching a movie while scrolling thru H....frames drop to 10-15...maybe it's a driver thing, cause 12.10 worked allright. but man , is this getting old.

I mean three monitor setup...now only 2 work. bur I guess it's allright, cause now I DON'T HAVE TO WRENCH MY NECK TO THE THIRD 27"

Last edited:
7970 prices weren't that bad if you could unload the games back when they were first released. Now there appears to be codes everywhere now where the games are selling for dirt cheap.

Hoping that AMD announces price drops after the 7XX series gets released. Time for a new video card!

I for one wouldn't mind a crap ton of used 7970's hitting the market. I wouldn't mind upgrading to one on the cheap. I like my 7870, but if I can pick up a 7970 on the cheap, I will.

I would agree, but all the *coin mining idiots have ruined a lot of the used market.

Hoping that AMD announces price drops after the 7XX series gets released. Time for a new video card!

unfortunately I doubt it will happen,cause I want some 7970 goodness, but 760 and 770 are rehash, and the 780 has an expected price of $799 :rolleyes:

I would agree, but all the *coin mining idiots have ruined a lot of the used market.

true story :mad:

How so? Driving up used prices because they're in demand? Or because some people sell very abused cards which shouldn't be back on any kind of market?

Video cards that can pay for themselves, and then some is bad now?

Rotf.... XD

They most likely won't drop with the 780 hitting at a whopping $700ish.

Then again the 770 will have to be around the GHz pricing, but is rumored to be pretty similar in speed. I don't know if that will affect the GHz price.

I doubt AMD will go lower with prices for now. Really they are an excellent value where they are. Considering you have to pay a good chunk more for an Nvidia equivillant

Really wouldn't think so. Nvidia overpricing their new card + mining still being profitable, though much harder, to have the card pay for itself. Also add a games bundle being upgraded soon.

I see absolutely no incentive for AMD to reduce prices anytime soon on already the best deal available.

A boost from my 7870 to a 7970 would be excellent, but the price really needs to go down soon. Hoping for late summer.

Considering they were going for $350 last year. AMD needs a price drop then another price drop.

Really wouldn't think so. Nvidia overpricing their new card + mining still being profitable, though much harder, to have the card pay for itself. Also add a games bundle being upgraded soon.

I see absolutely no incentive for AMD to reduce prices anytime soon on already the best deal available.

I see every reason for them too. Sales were even lack luster compared to Nvidia with all those bundles. Factoring now with the 700 series its only going to get harder for AMD. AMD needs to do something and just adding another game is not going to cut it.

do we really think the number of miners is sufficient to merit AMD's consideration when determining 7970 pricing structures?

do we really think the number of miners is sufficient to merit AMD's consideration when determining 7970 pricing structures?

That I wouldn't know. Though up to the availability of dedicated Asic units, AMD had essentially no competition on this whole market.

Mining did factor into my decision on video cards though. A little while ago it took less than a month to pay everything off. Even today you should be able to still get back a good amount of money from, if not the whole price, over a few months mining to help pay back your card(s).

With how many games that come with the 7970 now I doubt the prices will drop. They seem to be adding more to them than dropping the price.

That I wouldn't know. Though up to the availability of dedicated Asic units, AMD had essentially no competition on this whole market.

Mining did factor into my decision on video cards though. A little while ago it took less than a month to pay everything off. Even today you should be able to still get back a good amount of money from, if not the whole price, over a few months mining to help pay back your card(s).

What would you figure a 24/7 7970 rig would gross a month now mining? I had assumed that it's easier to join a "consortium" that pays per time slice than trying to mine on your own.

AMD seems to be very happy selling last years technology at next years prices.
They don't seem to be one bit conserned in being left behind.
Wait till next week when they realease the NEW 7370 and 7250 cards.
Weeeeeee

must be the same people that run the cpu side

Yeah looking forward to the prices coming down to a more reasonable level on both the 7950 Boost and the 7970 GHz edition. They're close to being replaced with a new line and NVidia is finally releasing something better at a similar price point to the 7970, so hopefully that will push the prices down. It's also tempting to hold out though, and see what the next gen AMD cards will offer. Would suck for someone who is doing okay with their current GPU to drop $300+ on a 7900 series card only to find out a month or two later the next gen would have been worth waiting another 2-3 months.

I don't want bundled games or MMO credits. That stuff is 100% meaningless to me. Talk to me in sale prices. Until I see something decent, I'll keep waiting or even consider NVidia even though i've had great experiences with AMD the last three generations of cards I've run.

My HD6950 will keep me going a few more months and I have a second one I can drop in for Crossfire if I get desperate enough.

That trend will be over before the end of the year, if not already.

I would expect a price drop since the 770 gtx will compete for the same shelve space/price. Even with more amazing games in the bundle, people will regard the 770 gtx "newer" over the 7970. Amd has been known to be aggressive in pricing when Nvidia rebrands their line. I have no doubt we will see that again.

Back