When big name douchebaggery gets out of hand

BETA.

2[H]4U
Apparently Ocean Marketing, the company behind the Avenger controller brushes off and even attacks a customer who's curious about his pre-order which escalates all the way to Mike from Penny Arcade. bullshit like this just shows you the ego cloud filled heads in the gaming industry these days.

http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26/just-wow1

I got an incredible email today from a Penny Arcade reader. Dave shared with me an email chain between him and Ocean Marketing (the folks behind the Avenger controller) Trust me when I tell you that this is one wild ride. I’m serious, Mr. Toad would look at this ride and just give a slow clap while shaking his head. I have tried to arrange this as best I can in chronological order. I’ve also removed email addresses and other private information. So let’s just jump right in, here is Dave’s first mail to Ocean Marketing:

I went ahead and sifted through the thread and gathered up various user posts, of which I felt would be updates that had to do with the d-bag. Lemme know if I missed anything/need to add stuff etc etc...

This should make it easier to track

His new Twitter is: @OceanStratagy (yes he misspelled it again)

More interesting stuff here from Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5871400/cut-paul-oceanmarketting-christoforo-a-breakhe-probably-just-has-roid-rage

Do a google search on his email and you will see he's the company and the PR firm... also a roid head loser... Also a cached FB page comes up for Xtac Gaming, lol

[email protected] or AOL IM me @ TheAngryPimp03

It's not. The previous customer was just less proactive about sicking the Internet on him.

If anything, this guy seems exceedingly ill-suited for PR / marketing work. Way too many opportunities for people to get under your skin. I hope for his newborn's sake (assuming that's not another lie), that he stops with the steroid rage.

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/12/oceangate-update/

Dunno what is the source as there are no links, but Paul apparently has been in contact with Mike pleading for forgivenes and help. It seems like Mike isnt in the mood for asshats... :D

Quote from the article:
I think there is a big difference between being sorry and being sorry you got caught.” He went on to label Christoforo a bully, comparing him to the bullies he had been forced to endure all of his life, and saying that, “I will personally burn everything I.ve made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames.” [sic]

Daymn. Thats was harsh. I would really like to see the plead email and Mikes response in full if they are somewhere.

quote:

*edit* Nevermind, found it. Stupid me, should have checked out Penny Arcades site first.

Again, daymn... Though I do feel bad for the guys family.

This shitstorm hit MSNBC.

Awwww.... he wants to clear his name, the poor fellow....

Hearing him dance and try to redirect blame is pretty entertaining:

"I didn't know who that guy at Penny Arcade was," he admitted. "If I had known, I would have treated the situation a little better. PAX is a great show. What he does is what I've been idolizing since I was a kid. It's admirable he's put that together. He has a lot of connections, ones I want too."

Yet while admitting he handled things badly, Christoforo said he also felt the situation could have been different if Krahulik approached the situation differently.

"He called me a bully, but he was being a bully ... especially when he emailed me out of the blue, saying 'That's f***ing s***ty, you're banned from PAX,' I was like 'Who the f*** are you? That's how you introduce yourself? ... I dont want to call him out, but he could have gone about that a totally different way, he could have said, 'Hey, I run the show, that email was a little unprofessional, if you don't do something to apologize I don't want you at my show.' But he just came at me and said, indirectly, 'Hey, f*** you, you're banned from PAX.' Is that what you'd call professional? I wouldn't."

You know, I'm trying damn hard to feel some sympathy for him, but he's making it really hard.

Whatever you say hotshot.

And nothing was learned from this little incident.

Leave it to Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/5872042/a-beatdown-where-no-one-threw-the-first-punch?tag=opinion

there isn't a hand on the planet big enough to mime the jerk-off motion needed to express how I feel about that article

UPDATE: Apparently Christoforo has become much more cooperative since the AMA and this story went live. According to Chiullan:

Mr. Christoforo has very recently become much more forthcoming and helpful regarding a variety of Avenger/N-Control's digital assets that we requested he return a few days ago (as mentioned below in detail). We thank him for his renewed helpfulness.

AMA the guy who replaced Paul Christoforo and is cleaning up after him. (self.IAmA)

submitted 5 days ago by moiseschiu

I'm the guy who took over marketing and sales for Avenger Controllers (N-Control) and am cleaning up after Paul Christoforo's explosive mess "on wwebsite as on internet". My name is Moisés Chiullan, and I'm probably nothing like what you might expect.

UPDATE 7: Following his relinquishing the Twitter account, Paul provided us with nothing and negotiated in bad faith, with no intention of giving anything up without substantial compensation. We have regained everything he refused to give up on our own during that process, and can assure all current and future customers that the N-Control castle is once again impenetrable. This thread is stagnant, but I am plowing through to make sure all items raised (not duplicated necessarily) are addressed. Thank you all for participating and listening.

UPDATE 6: I've been focusing on some very time-sensitive items elsewhere, but am still committed to answering everything here to the best of my ability before the New Year. Consider questions closed at midnight tonight US Central Time (please stop asking then so I can catch up).

UPDATE 5 (midnight Friday): Again, this store ain't closing yet. Until I say we're done, I'm still answering stuff.

UPDATE 4: Not shutting this thread down until I catch up pretty well, so keep commenting and asking. Lots to sift through here.

UPDATE 3: I'm a back guys, bear with me as I sift through.

UPDATE 2: At 9:40am CST, I've decided to take a nap. This AMA is not dead, I just haven't slept in two days. Keep commenting and questioning, and consider this thing open until midnight Friday CST. I'm sure there are a lot more questions to be asked.

UPDATE: Mr. Christoforo has very recently become much more forthcoming and helpful regarding a variety of Avenger/N-Control's digital assets that we requested he return a few days ago (as mentioned below in detail). We thank him for his renewed helpfulness.

My twitter feed, where I embarrassingly ask for help posting since I've only ever lurked

The Avenger Controller temp Twitter account

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/nw1vm/ama_the_guy_who_replaced_paul_christoforo_and_is/

4/8/2012

Like a crack fiend, the d-bag just keeps coming back!
...and four months later Mr. Christoforo's fourth layer of asshole (or possibly the real creamy center of idiocy) is revealed:

http://kotaku.com/5908615/ocean-mar...-controller-maker-for-defamation-of-character

Last edited:
Just got done reading this and was about to post it.

That isn't just bad PR, that is just down right nasty. I don't care how a customer treats you or if they are a douche as a PR person you can NEVER insult someone or get angry. Your job is to give your company a good image. This person needs to lose his job and if that is Ocean's idea of good PR they deserve to sink.

Wow. Not that it's likely I would have purchased their products anyway, but I'll be sure to NEVER buy from them in the future.

Completely uncalled for and childish on that self-proclaimed "industry professional's" part.

Honestly I hope they suffer greatly from this.

Well now, I think this needs some front page news action. I would never think any company would stoop to this. All the empty threats there is a lot of material for a suit here.

You see this attitude so much in celebrities. Many people who jump into money/success discover they are actually self-important jerks with delusions of grandeur and run with it. Not saying this guy is a celebrity, but he sure thinks he is.

Never heard of this company or its products, but I'll never be a customer now.

I liked the part where the guy's like, "I love Penny Arc...oh shit..." and then starts trying to kiss ass.

That blows my mind that someone would be that stupid to write like that, representing your business. He sounds like a childish cokehead on a temper tantrum. I'll be sure to NEVER buy their products (though I suspect I would never have to begin with).

I'm glad Penny Arcade posted that.

Wow that guy must be 4'10" and full of small man complex rage... like most boston shit talkers.

I hope that company folds but more than likely just rename and go on with douchy management.

read through the Twitter blow-out that occurred over this last night. A number of people that guy name-dropped in his rant messaged him directly with things like 'you do not have our support' etc.

Additionally, who in the hell says things like (paraphrased) 'I'm 38, I've been on the internet since you were sperm in your daddy's balls" and takes the stance of "BRO I KNOW PEOPLE BRO", not to mention his other numerous faux pas via a company email account?

ugh. The use of 'bro' in an official capacity.
double ugh. That guys' lack of spelling and punctuation ability.

The whole thing is "no. just no."

My first thought being : Who the fuck preorders a controller?

My immediate second thought being: Holy fuck that guy probably gets paid a lot more than I do, and can't even type a god damn sentence without an error.

Third thought: Horrorably embarassing customer service, and love how he tried to backtrack near the end.

Oh man, the "I'm glad you like it, you will be on it tomorrow" line was classic.

read through the Twitter blow-out that occurred over this last night. A number of people that guy name-dropped in his rant messaged him directly with things like 'you do not have our support' etc.

Additionally, who in the hell says things like (paraphrased) 'I'm 38, I've been on the internet since you were sperm in your daddy's balls" and takes the stance of "BRO I KNOW PEOPLE BRO", not to mention his other numerous faux pas via a company email account?

ugh. The use of 'bro' in an official capacity.
double ugh. That guys' lack of spelling and punctuation ability.

The whole thing is "no. just no."

He is just a walking Jersey Shore parody. Yet another illiterate "Little Italy" inhabitant.

Holy shit this guy is a douche.

What kills me is how bad the marketing was before this blow up. I could not tell what in the hell the controller was for even with their terrible buzz word filled description. It wasn't until I saw an Engadget CES video did I understand what the purpose was.

Last edited:
Funny story. Glad to see it looks like the product isn't doing well either. Wtf are those little extension things anyway?

If Paul Christoforo's posts indicated a little more intelligence, I'd suspect him of following the 'toxic' model of marketing. Unfortunately, he merely comes across as a bobos wearin' greastie chucklehead.

What the hell is this product, and who the hell is Ocean Marketing? My god, I had better common sense when I was on AOL at 13...much less responding to customers, in writing. What a fucking idiot.

I love how the names that they dropped are all distancing themselves, and the cheese stands alone.

Been watching this develop all day... hilarious twists when the DB changes his twitter handle to avoid the raging masses, and some kid scoops it up for the lulz, as it were.

Best part: the old twitter account is still scrolling in realtime on the Ocean Mktg blog, which of course has started to attract attention to the blog where egregious plagiarism of Forbes and others is on display. Popcorn, anyone?

Just wow...this is completely ridiculous.

I just wish there was a way to get rid of this douche bag and not the company, I'm sure plenty of people that work there depend on their jobs and aren't responsible for his actions nor should they be punished because of it.

That being said I do hope he as a person and "professional" member of the gaming community gets blacklisted and condemned. Seems like it's already started...ah the problems that come from steroid rage...

As I'm reading all this and the products reviews I looked down at my keyboard/mouse and thought "I don't see the point of this product."

This is hilarious. I'm waiting for the inevitable "We no longer employ Ocean Marketing or Paul", though looking at it, it almost seems like Paul IS the company.

As a side, what's up with the controllers? They look completely pointless and more cumbersome than the standard controllers?

ok i Loled

Spacehost Colin Whiteside
by OceanStratagy
If you got Twitter drama I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but @OceanMarketting ain't one
8 hours ago

it's almost unbelievable.

Looks like they'll get what is deserved though, boy is the attention this is getting going to hurt in the long run.

Rofl at him thinking he's untouchable.

I think the controller is supposed to be useful for disabled gamers to be honest. It's most likely a case of the company that makes the controllers outsourced their PR/marketing to this guy's "firm/company/whatever you want to call it" and it turns out that it wasn't the best decision on their part.

My first thought being : Who the fuck preorders a controller?

My immediate second thought being: Holy fuck that guy probably gets paid a lot more than I do, and can't even type a god damn sentence without an error.

Third thought: Horrorably embarassing customer service, and love how he tried to backtrack near the end.

Yeah right up to the point Mike asked him to remove his name from the automated email newsletter, then the PR sales guy flew off the handle again.

They have dug up all sorts of crap on the guy already, it's alarming how far back your online history goes, all the way back to this guy taking steroids, he has already changed his twitter account name (and spelled that wrong as well).

Yeah right up to the point Mike asked him to remove his name from the automated email newsletter, then the PR sales guy flew off the handle again.

They have dug up all sorts of crap on the guy already, it's alarming how far back your online history goes, all the way back to this guy taking steroids, he has already changed his twitter account name (and spelled that wrong as well).

what's his new name?

His new Twitter is: @OceanStratagy (yes he misspelled it again)

More interesting stuff here from Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5871400/cut-paul-oceanmarketting-christoforo-a-breakhe-probably-just-has-roid-rage

Do a google search on his email and you will see he's the company and the PR firm... also a roid head loser... Also a cached FB page comes up for Xtac Gaming, lol

[email protected] or AOL IM me @ TheAngryPimp03

Description
Were an Organization of above average elite competitive Call of Duty and Halo players that are building up to MLG events. We are not only endorsed by multiple products but we're also sales reps for the products so please feel free to contact us for any whole sale purchasing and we plan to add more vendors soon such as Gunnar Optiks and Turtle Beach. We also do marketing and website design as well as community outreach programs to give back to our communities. Contact us for more information.

Founded
About
XtaC
General Information
We are always looking to acquire new teammates were looking for THE BEST PLAYERS ONLY you may say your the best we can tell by looking at your player card please message on XBL TheAngryDude , XtaC Ewok, XtaC Addiction
Mission
Gaming, Giveaways, and competition in an atmosphere for gamers. Come join us today!
Awards
Coming Soon!

Holy fuck that guy CANNOT be in his 30s. Trying to decipher his emails gave me a headache. What a piece of shit, motherfucker doesn't deserve a break for acting like that. That guy needs to burn.

Apparently he uses steroids too lol...

Back