When are we going to see more >40" 4K monitors from major brands?

brncao

Limp Gawd
There are a plethora of options for 27"/28" monitors followed by 32" monitors. However, with screens that small, I would have to scale up to 150%-200%. I prefer to keep it at 100% because some older programs don't play nice with scaling.

The only two I know of is Dell P4317Q and Philips BDM4350UC (Amazon reviews aren't looking too good). There are many other minor brands as well, but I've never heard of them (i.e. Wasabi Mango, Crossover, QNIX, Seiki, etc.).

Will major brands ever manufacture >40" 4K monitors? What's stopping them?

I would imagine the rather limited market segment is preventing any of them from being able to win over their internal suits as to venturing forth with a product offering. I see this as a "build it and they will come" scenario, but someone has to first take the plunge and invest the capital and efforts into bringing forth such a product first. Also, anything much over 40" starts to turn into a TV these days... and the average consumer doesn't want to spend the coin on something really up to snuff as to a monitor as well. I'm more excited about TV/Monitor convergence, where we get the best of both worlds with really fast (OLED) tech at 4K or better resolution, but the market simply won't bare paying big $ for such a product yet. Give it another year or two and they'll be a lot more choice out there in this area, but right now, there's simply not much out there in the 40" and larger true PC "monitor" market segment, so we're stuck with 32" screens and below for anything worthy of being called a true high end PC monitor with specs to match.

I'm guessing it has something to do with under 1% of Steam users running 4K displays (judging from current steam hardware survey data).

Back