When are we going to see an G8x Go?

ShnikeJSB

Limp Gawd
I'm just curious, I keep seeing these roadmaps with desktop GPU's, but what about mobile GPU's? I am a laptop man, and I am most likely dumping my iXPS Gen 2 once I can get my hands on a Santa Rosa Core 2 Duo laptop when they come out (2Q '07). Now, this is right around the "normal" 6-month nVidia refresh. Will this be when the new die-shrunk G8x cards come out? If so, this means vastly improved power comsumption and much reduced heat.

So, I guess my question is, will there be a mobile G8x when the Santa Rosa chipset is released? An 8900GTX Go would be VERY nice with the new Core 2's... Anyone have any clues?

Thanks!
-JB

correct because atm the g80's aren't exactly power effecient.

tisb0b said:
correct because atm the g80's aren't exactly power effecient.
So there is no roadmap or anything? I am talking not about this current 88xx gen, but the refresh with the smaller die-sizes, AKA 89xx series. I would expect that by then there should be a downclocked 89xx that could be used in a notebook. Technically the 8800GTS isn't THAT much of a hog NOW, let alone after the refresh.

I was just seeing if anyone had any more info.

Well, I can say with surety that there won't be an 8800gtx equivalent go GPU, there's no way all the associated electronics can fit on an MXM module. If there were, they wouldn't have to make the card 10-1/2 inches long.

So my guess is after the refresh at 80 micron, and probably with half the stream processors of the GTX. I'd expect to see it no earlier than about Feb - March of '07.

Back