Whatz your oldest system/gear you still use on a daily or regular basis?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Myself I have an old Core 2 Quad 9400, 6GB RAM Dell system I use as my bed room PC. Upgraded with SSD of course. I'm not a sado-masicust! Watches YT and plays vids just fine. Also my only PC that has a PCI slot so it has my Firewire card for when I need to grab something off an old tape.
I also have a HD7950 in my HTPC that keeps doing the job. Hell plays a load of emulators and party games and does solid work on older AAA titles.

Dell Optiplex 990, i7-2600, 8GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - dedicated WCG cruncher, SCC only.

Last edited:
Old MSI barebone with i7-4900MQ CPU. Took a while to find a SSD for it.

Dell D600 laptop with a Pentium M 1.2ish cpu and 1 gb ram. Has an old 32 bit Linux install and hooked up to some even older Cambridge Audio speakers. It’s used to play audio and videos while working out. Fires up fast if you use sleep mode instead of powering off and on.

Dell D600 laptop with a Pentium M 1.2ish cpu and 1 gb ram. Has an old 32 bit Linux install and hooked up to some even older Cambridge Audio speakers. It’s used to play audio and videos while working out. Fires up fast if you use sleep mode instead of powering off and on.
Nice. Made me smile. They used to build them strong back in the day. Haven't heard Pentium M in a long minute as the kids say.
I've heard of a quite a few folks who switched to Linux and popped in a SSD and have said it has added miles on older laptops. Kinda embarassing what goes in a landfill these days when idiots struggle trying to do real tasks on a 5+" phone screen.

I'm renting a server with dual Xeon L5640 (6 core westmere), released 2010. I've also got an Athon II x2 machine I boot occasionaly for my hobby os, and used to fiddle with weird NIC drivers to avoid breaking my regular 'home servers'; it's been a while since the hobby os was in a good spot to try booting it on real hardware though :(

I'm renting a server with dual Xeon L5640 (6 core westmere), released 2010. I've also got an Athon II x2 machine I boot occasionaly for my hobby os, and used to fiddle with weird NIC drivers to avoid breaking my regular 'home servers'; it's been a while since the hobby os was in a good spot to try booting it on real hardware though :(
Why are you renting something so old? I am guessing it works for you but i can't mentally figure it out.

The oldest piece of gear I use daily are my Alesis M1 Active MK2 Studio Monitors. I can't remember exactly when I got them, it was between 2001 and 2003.

IMG_3530.JPEG

System: Socket 2011 rig I built in April 2012. I upgraded the i7-3820 to a used/server pull Xeon E5-2687W off eBay a while back. 64Gb ram, assorted SATA SSDs & HDs, and an RTX 3060Ti I bought because I won a Newegg shuffle during the shortage. Probably shouldn't have, but it was a base model EVGA card for $500. It's not my main rig and wasn't at the time so the GTX 1660Ti I had in it was plenty good enough. Originally it was a dual GTX 680 4GB SLI rig.

Gear: I've got a pretty ancient KVM switch that I still use. It's at least 15 years old. I don't use the VGA video part anymore, just the keyboard and mouse. I also have a 15+yo Netgear 1Gb switch that I'm still using. Until recently my oldest in-use gear would have been an IBM Model M keyboard from the 1990s, but it's on a shelf now due to getting a Mac from work. Macs really want that command key, which maps to the Windows key on a PC keyboard. My old Model Ms don't have one, so I swapped out the one I was using for a Das Keyboard with Cherry blue switches.

I've got some z-something setup from Logitech that has to be 20 years old. Terrific setup.

Logitech - G51 5.1 Multimedia Surround Sound Speaker System

e70ccf69105324311d534b5ec0e7bed2.jpg

thats it there. thought it started with z-something. and apparently 2007.

Last edited:
Interesting question...

My office PC is I7-6700 with a mechanical HD. I have a new machine ryzen 3600x, but haven't migrated..
About the same vintage is my home media server which was an I7-9800x, but the mobo died and is now sporting a 5820k and soon to be E5-2696 V3...

Tied to said home media server, I have a 19in CRT monitor from about 20 years ago. But I don't use that part daily......

I have some embedded controllers at work that run Windows CE on 20mhz 486s that I use every day. Theres probably some older stuff laying around too.

Probably my ‘gaming’ system in my signature!

Either that or my home NAS, Synology DS212j.

Mine is an i5-4690k from a mid-2015 build that now runs an HTPC I built for my parents last summer.

Like allot of others... Probably my Corsair SP2500 speakers. Although it could be my case... SilverStone Raven 2. Although I'm replacing the case with a Fractal NORTH here soon as my GPU required me to remove a 180mm fan just to fit it and thats effected the cooling performance a bit. So time to update to a newer case.

My Yeong Yang case might be older than my speakers.
IMG_2223.jpeg

IMG_2222.jpeg

Reactions: psy81
like this
I was working on this guy yesterday, I have about 40 of these units I take care of at work. Dual socket 603(I think?) xeons at 1.1ghz and 512mb of ram, 40gb IDE hdd.

IMG_0908.jpeg

Last edited:
19 inch CRT monitor that doesn't see daily use but sees use every weekend as a gaming monitor for the kids.
Logitech G5 laser mouse that I still use every day for work and for play. These mice just don't stop working.

EDIT: My old Roland MT-32 doesn't get daily use but I still fire it up every now and then to play some old Sierra game or some other old PC game. That particular module was made in 1987 so it's 36 years old now!

jesus those are old but the look mint. you could prob replace them all with a couple modern xeons though...

They run proprietary software on NT 4.0 that does image capture, the add-in card is an interbus capture card that works with some ancient 20mp scanline high speed cameras, but you're right they are being consolidated down to two 48-core Xeon machines very soon.

They run proprietary software on NT 4.0 that does image capture, the add-in card is an interbus capture card that works with some ancient 20mp scanline high speed cameras, but you're right they are being consolidated down to two 48-core Xeon machines very soon.
ah ive run into that at a couple industrial plants up here, specialized equip that has to stay on NT, even a helicopter refurb shop near me is still on NT.

The radiology department in the hospital I temped at in 2018/2019 had a menagerie of ancient systems still in use. Several Windows 9x boxes for the xray machines and an SGI Octane2 running the MRI machine.

Had to keep stacks of CD-Rs to burn patient images off to lol. I think we had to change the CD-ROM drives in the nurse stations every several months because they were burning so many discs that the drive lasers were burning out.

I have a dual core old laptop that runs kubuntu that I use for testing the platform I work on occasionally. It only sees use about once every 4-6 months when our devs go nuts and decide to do major updates.

My file/media/download server has a Phenom II 975 X4 BE that's been pushing 10+ HDD's (15 now) since I built it in 2011.
It runs 24/7 365 unless the power goes out or a drive dies.

Wife has an old HP Pavilion w/ a Pentium P6100 that I got new in 2010, that she watches Youtube on everyday since it was first fired up.
The only thing I've ever done is upgrade the HDD, OS and the memory. The battery has been dead for around 6yrs. :LOL:

Gotta be my case, a Corsair 500R Carbide. I got it in 2011 I think. I've revamped my rig several times since then but I keep the case. It's starting to look pretty dated but I still like it. Well built, plenty of room for my needs and looks good.

Gotta be my case, a Corsair 500R Carbide. I got it in 2011 I think. I've revamped my rig several times since then but I keep the case. It's starting to look pretty dated but I still like it. Well built, plenty of room for my needs and looks good.

Firewire port is a dead giveaway of age, but that style case is very hard to replace today. Keep it forever, cause drive bays are out of style.

I'm still using an ASUS ROG G75VW 17" gaming laptop for my portable needs. I don't really use it all that often. A few hours a week at most.

I've got a couple older laptops I like to use to test OS installs and software without breaking my current rig.

Latitudes E6410 and 6430u

I also still use my original Logitech Rumble Pad 2 for some games and retros.

I think my oldest tech is probably my Alpine MRV-T502 amplifier in my car. It's probably about 20 years old running 300x1 bridged to a 12" Sony XPlod probably half it's age and gets used almost everyday.

Last edited:
If you aren't afraid to try modding and overclocking you can likely pin mod the socket from 400 to 533 fsb, which would bring the cpu up to 1.6ghz and give you a big boost overall. And if you upgrade to a Dothan core you'll get double the L2 cache.

I can't remember if mine was a D600 but I was in a similar spot back in the day. Ssds make a huge upgrade too. That an i maxed out at 2gb if ram i believe

Probably a couple of HDDs that are over 20 years old. I don't access them daily, but they're still hooked up and on a system running 24/7. Another would be my old Logitech Z5500 THX sound system... that's nearly 20 years old as well.

Hell since we're talking about cases, I'm still using my 1st gen, heavily modded, (broken door clips that are extremely bowed out) Antec P180 from 2005, for my encoding box.
That houses my still used everyday 2600K.

I'm still using an ASUS ROG G75VW 17" gaming laptop for my portable needs. I don't really use it all that often. A few hours a week at most.
I have and earlier model the G74SX. Has a 560M in it with 3GB and an i7 2630QM CPU, 12GB RAM. It is a beast so I would barley call it portable :ROFLMAO:
I use it to store my crypto wallets so it only get booted up about once a month. But still gets used and still extreemly functional today.

Back