What's your pick for a quality software firewall? No routers allowed!

n64man120

2[H]4U
Well, I'm looking for a new software firewall, now that my beloved Sygate has been gobbled up by those Symantec guys.

I'm sure alot of guys on here are in the same situation as me, living on a college campus, hence networking policies, hence no routers, hence no hardware firewall while away from home :rolleyes:

Sooo, suggestions for what's available now, that does a pretty good job? Windows firewall is somethin atleast, although not much. ZA is crapola IMO. And Sygate has been taken over.

XPsp2 firewall is fine for me...all I care about is keeping the outside from coming in. Keep your windows updates updated, do not leave a "blank" Administrator password, have a quality antivirus..and I'm good with that.

But if you insist of a bi-directional non-Microsoft...
Comodo
Free, rather lightweight, has a good database that's updated of legit programs..so once you run an initial scan of your system..it allows your good programs out without the constant "nags" most software firewalls have.
And...importantly..it's still being updated. :cool:

http://www.comodogroup.com/

Ghostwall..I liked that on my Win2K box..but it does the same thing as the XPsp2 firewall..just blocks outside from in..so IMO it's not needed on XP.

I'll have to check those out. Clearly I'm mainly concerned about outside attacks, from all the damn college kids with P2P networks getting viruses, aside from all else. But I'd like to be able to block outgoing as well, to keep any apps from phoning home that don't need to be.

what didn't you like about ZA? Thats the software firewall i currently use and it's great for the most part imo except extra features + memory that it uses,

Comodo looks really great i need to check that out..

HitmanZ said:
what didn't you like about ZA? Thats the software firewall i currently use and it's great for the most part imo except extra features + memory that it uses,

Comodo looks really great i need to check that out..

Partially the fact that its bloated, and doesn't just sit in the corner behaving quietly. I used to swear by it, and used it for a few years, but then I just got fed up and sick with it. In a few circumstances of working on other people's systems who used ZA, it caused some pretty funky conflicts.

Edit: Just gave comodo a shot, looks pretty impressive visually atleast. Seems to be pretty strong and customizable as well.

I'm surprised I haven't gotten more responses on this, I suppose everyone's behind a router now-a-days, making software firewalls a thing of the past.

Back