What's your pick for a hosting service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctusmc03

Gawd
I'm finally starting building my own website (I've been meaning to for 6 months now) and I'm looking for a host to start putting all of my stuff on.

I'm hoping some of you out there own websites, or know someone that does and can recommend a good hosting service with a lot of good features, and if possible unlimited bandwidth and disk space like some of the host's I've checked out claim.

I'd also like it to AT LEAST be wordpress compatible as that's what I plan to learn on, however the more things it's compatible with the better.

Thanks! :)

unlimited bandwidth and disk space does not exist, don't fall for that

and what do you mean by features? automagic installing of software packages or full control over the server?

most important, what is your budget?

as says, "unlimited" does not exist, period, especially now most hosts are "cloud" hosting.

I use Amazon EC2 and CloudFront at this point. A bit odd since I do have a ridiculous amount of server hardware available to me but it generally works well. I will say I had really high expectations that were not met, but I'm satisfied.

One other point... if you can get by with a less expensive host that is a good thing. My AWS bill keeps climbing. AWS does have a free usage tier (for 1 year) with a micro instance which is probably about what you would get at a $4-7/ month plan speed wise.

I have used hostmonster for a few years and I have been happy with them. reliability is good and they have SimpleScripts installed in the CPanel so you can easily setup worpress and a bunch of web applications with just a few clicks. SimpleScripts will also update any of those apps as newer versions become available

Pretty bad idea, try to stay away from anything promising "unlimited space/bandwidth/etc" as there's usually a clause saying they can kick you out whenever they feel you're using too many resources.

I got tired of dealing with hosting sites, so I rented a dedicated server and host my own sites now. It's a lot more costly if you're only hosting one site on the server, but I host a bunch of web sites. I also host sites for a few people I know and they help with the server bill by paying a little each month.

As others have stated. Stay away from "unlimited" claims. No such thing as unlimited.

Most devs I work with/know roll with mediatemple. I rent an unmanaged vps from http://buyvm.net/ personally.

I use Mediatemple's Grid Service, and for the most part they work out okay. But large sites that use any sort of CMS's are pretty slow. Drupal seems to be okay (it's a slower CMS to begin with) and Joomla is worse than Drupal. Wordpress runs well, and Magento was literally unusable the last time I tried it.

They just upgraded their email service to one that's finally good. But for the longest time their email service was HORRIBLE as well.

burst.net for $5 a month vps

EDIT: i used avahost before and it had cpanel and unlimited everything (so long as it was within "average" usage or some shit, never ran into an issue with it.)

I've been with HawkHost for a couple of years (no relation to my username) and have been happy. They have had a couple of outages, ddos on their nameservers and one other issue, but they were short outages, attended to quickly, and kept customers informed during the problem. I like that.

I got tired of dealing with hosting sites, so I rented a dedicated server and host my own sites now. It's a lot more costly if you're only hosting one site on the server, but I host a bunch of web sites. I also host sites for a few people I know and they help with the server bill by paying a little each month.

As others have stated. Stay away from "unlimited" claims. No such thing as unlimited.

Pretty much exactly my same story. I started with shared hosting accounts, knew I could do it better (after trying dozens of different providers) so I moved to a VPS...again knew I could do it better so I moved to a dedicated server. Now today I have started my own small hosting company all running on my own owned hardware providing services for clients all because I knew I could do it better. :D I offer shared hosting, VPSes, dedicated servers, and colocation space.

I say this not because I'm a competitor to them (I'm not really, I'm small time, but we are actually in the same Data Center;) ) but because of personal experience and from knowing some of their staff and how they operate...be very leary of bluehost.

I know a lot of people are weary of shared hosting, but seriously, to learn WP, shared hosting is the way to go.

Host Gator or Liquid web are decent. I'm also using a VPS from Knownhost (managed) to get my feet wet with Linux / Apache / SVN / Team Speak / Game Server management.

I know a lot of people are weary of shared hosting, but seriously, to learn WP, shared hosting is the way to go.

Host Gator or Liquid web are decent. I'm also using a VPS from Knownhost (managed) to get my feet wet with Linux / Apache / SVN / Team Speak / Game Server management.

I would say shared hosting is best for people just barely trying to break into the web site concept. In regards to managed or not VPS I would say anyone looking to move to a VPS in the first place is probably someone that will be picking up linux quite fast. The savings you get when going unmanaged is huge so I say go all the way.

yea, I know managed costs a bit more... but as a linux newbie, I don't have the hours / days time to fix things when I have production sites running on it.

I haven't checked this in a few days, thanks for all the recommendations gents! I definitely have a lot more websites to look into than I used to, which is awesome. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back