Whats your method of getting rid of cigarette smell from your hardware?

DTN107

Supreme [H]ardness
So I picked up a desktop off of craigslist for a pretty nice deal but good lord.... it reeks of cigarettes!

I'm googling on different methods and about to run out to the store.

What method do you experience folks use to tackle this?

Supposedly these things work well. No clue how they work or if they work though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I had the same problem, I would look in the case for all things that would collect dust. Including and especially filters. If it will collect dust, it will trap smoke particles. Everything that can be removed and cleaned I will. I would check the intake and exhaust of the fans. The major air flow will be there so the most accumulation of the smokey smell will be there also. "Smell check" the fans when off. If you can smell the smoke on the blades, clean or replace the fans. My theory is that the spinning blades would be the surfaces most in contact with the smoke dispersing the smell throughout the case. But would be the first point of contact. I have heard white vinegar with a bit of ammonia as a cleaning solution works.

"I" would get a can/bottle/gel of ozium. Its a air sanitizer sometimes found in head shops because they "eliminate" the smell. Not just cover it up. I would use it as a topical cleaner pinpointing the places most smelly. A lil dab here and a lil dab there. Qtips with a bit of it on it. Hopefully, I wont need to use it directly on contact points but after drying shouldnt be a problem. Basically my focus would be on all of the things moving air in the case and see where the wind would blow to give me the best idea where the smell would be most concentrated. Then clean those areas not forgetting all of the smooth outer surfaces but thats obvious because they are easiest to get to.

Just hope that the case doesnt have a lot of cavities where smoke/air would be trapped thus concentrating the odor.

If cleaning doesnt work well enough, I would bet that you would still have a good deal if you got a new case. Good luck.

Just let it breathe... it will go away in time, a few days maybe - you will still smell it if you actually sniff the inside, but you won't feel it as much on the outside.

i picked up a case in similar shape... they bare grey metal was more a shade of beige now. Had to scrub the entire thing with alcohol soaked rags. was tempted to throw the fucking thing in the dishwasher.

Supposedly these things work well. No clue how they work or if they work though.

These work. This is what they get the smoker smell out of used cars with. Put the PC in this into a large box. Turn on the PC and let it pump the ozone through everything, the smell will be destroyed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i picked up a case in similar shape... they bare grey metal was more a shade of beige now. Had to scrub the entire thing with alcohol soaked rags. was tempted to throw the fucking thing in the dishwasher.

Funny that you mention throwing in it the dishwasher. Years ago I was given an old XPS desktop (whatever model still used RD-RAM); it had so much cigarette tar and dust caked throughout it that I actually did tear it down run the case, heat sink and motherboard through the dishwasher. I had to toss the fans and power supply though.

Funny that you mention throwing in it the dishwasher. Years ago I was given an old XPS desktop (whatever model still used RD-RAM); it had so much cigarette tar and dust caked throughout it that I actually did tear it down run the case, heat sink and motherboard through the dishwasher. I had to toss the fans and power supply though.

......were you successful? Sounds a bit extreme considering electronic parts.

......were you successful? Sounds a bit extreme considering electronic parts.

Yep, and it worked for another few years afterwards. I didn't use any soap, and made sure to let it dry for a few days in front of a fan.

Of course, I wouldn't do that to something that I didn't t want to risk killing.

I'd tear it down and wash the case with a detergent, like dish liquid. Supposedly, you can put the motherboard through the dishwasher.

Edit: Maybe put the heatsinks through the dishwasher, or at least wash them with soapy water and a toothbrush, too. You could probably just replace the fans; if you're anything like me you have stacks of serviceable fans just hanging around.

Those ozone generators are not nice to anything rubber. And you do not want to be breathing its output either. And they won't do a thing for the caked on tar deposits, not to mention the mini-dust bunnies stuck to the tar.

No substitute for a good washing. Dish soap, cheap unused paintbrush, garden hose. And some sunshine to dry it all out (UV works wonders on stinky stuff).

I'd probably take the computer to a tire shop, and air blast the inside and power supply (where most of the smell might be emanating) and see how it goes first. Next is to take everything out then brush cleanly with a soft brush and some silicon lubricant spray or iso-alcohol. Wipe down cleanly then leave everything in the sun or hot parked car.

Air Freshener sounds like a good idea, least on the short run.

Taking apart your computer as far as possible, dismantling all the plastic trim off the case, and wiping down everything non electronic with a solution of vinegar might help

Vinegears is a easy good alround sanitizer and smell killer. its oldtimer favorti before everything had to be chemically induced with perfume..
its laso very good as
hair conditioner.
cloth conditioner
drain cleaner

after that clean it with a wet sponge to get the vinegear smelle out of it

Back