Whats your GPU-Z ASIC score ?

That can't be true because the ASIC rating is a specification made by AMD and the people who make GPU-Z simply claim that they found a way to decode this.

AMD works closely with W1zzard and actually gives him the register spec of the GPUs before they are released so he can update his app. There is no "finding" involved.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1620529&postcount=2802
Moreover, w1zzard usually gets colaboration directly from AMD in order to update GPU-Z.

We do work with him and give him the relevant register spec to read in order to determine the SIMD/CU counts etc.

My ASIC score on my GTX560ti 448 is 74% yet is is pushing 1.1GHZ over clocked. Seems like it should be rated 98-100% top performer percentile IMO.

We are, therefore, giving too much attention to a number that describes only 1 factor and that is why people keep wondering about out-of-the-ordinary results compared to the "standard" description of the ASIC rating.

Yeah, I guess that was more my point than anything. The numbers "mean" something but looking at the big picture, not that much.

GPU-Z v0.5.9
XFX 7970 Black Edition, Reference cooler

ASIC = 62.5%

1125 MHz GPU - Stable
1575 MHz Memory - Stable
Stock voltage
air cooled

After reading through this thread, and comparing my ASIC score with my overclocking results, I'm inclined to think theres not much correlation at all.

GPU-Z v0.5.9
Sapphire 7950 OC

ASIC = 73.5%

1260 MHz GPU - Benchmark Stable
1790 MHz Memory - Benchmark Stable
1.26v

24/7 stable clocks
1200 MHz GPU - Stable
1750 MHz Memory - Stable
1.20v

XFX black edition, ASIC ~80%, holds 1125/1575 without any issues but I think I'm observing some artifacts in a game but generally, survived many loops of Leo, Heaven, 3dmark 11 at that speed with no issues. Also played Crysis 2 with extra textures and DX11 pack, works fine apart from some random artifacts - not sure if it's the game engine or ram pushed too hard.

Doubt it would be the RAM since these cards have ECC memory, so it will just error correct and therefore run slower.
It could be the core needing a tad more voltage.

Sapphire HD7950 950mhz Edition.

ASICQSAPHhd7950950mhzE.jpg

Well this is a bunch of heresy because these numbers in no way correlate to anything of value. My first Sapphire OEM model was in the low 90's and could barely break 1Ghz. My new card is in the mid 70's and manages 1125. The numbers are all over the place so Im not entirely sure what these numbers are trying to suggest that matter in the real world.

ASUS 7970 DCII TOP ASIC 65,2%. This is with the "new?" dreaded voltage locked bios with default voltage of 1.175v which cant be increased (atleast for now). Max stable gpu 1130MHz with 1660MHz mem.

ASUS 7970 DCII TOP ASIC 65,2%. This is with the "new?" dreaded voltage locked bios with default voltage of 1.175v which cant be increased (atleast for now). Max stable gpu 1130MHz with 1660MHz mem.

Might want to try flashing a different card bios on it to see if that helps.

I have the luxury of working at a computer store so I tested both >80% cards and <70% cards and I ended up buying the two 70%'s as they just overclocked more. I couldn't get two samples of >80% over 1175ish as the VRMs were just too hot (120c. This may be because they are XFX but I'm not sure.). The <70%'s are now sitting at 1250mhz without a hitch. I'm still unsure of this ASIC.

ASIC has been accurate in all situations for me (WITH AMD CARDS)

I recently had 2 x 7970s, 2 x 7850's, a 5970 and a 6990. Don't ask.

The higher the Asic, the better they overclocked. Whether a coincidence or not, who knows.

Example

My Asus 7970 is 82.4%. It overclocks to 1180 on stock voltage.

I just sold a Diamond 7970 Ref card that had a 73% Asic, and it maxed out at 1050 on stock voltage.

ASIC has been accurate in all situations for me (WITH AMD CARDS)

I recently had 2 x 7970s, 2 x 7850's, a 5970 and a 6990. Don't ask.

The higher the Asic, the better they overclocked. Whether a coincidence or not, who knows.

Example

My Asus 7970 is 82.4%. It overclocks to 1180 on stock voltage.

I just sold a Diamond 7970 Ref card that had a 73% Asic, and it maxed out at 1050 on stock voltage.

Your assumption could be right.
My Visiontek 7970's ASIC is 78.7% and the stock voltage is 1.112v
maximum oc I can get with CCC at stock voltage is 1100 core / 1500 memory.
That sits right in between your cards.

#1 Sapphire 7970 OC Dual-X: 61.6 (replaced - card head art effects)
#2 Sapphire 7970 OC Dual-X: 61.8 got it tuday.
:(

XFX 7850 DD Black Edition

ASIC 71%. Stock voltage of 1.213 is max voltage.
Stock Black Edition clocks: 975/1250
Max stable OC I can get: 1180/1450

There are reports of much higher OC's by non-Black Edition XFX 7850 cards on newegg reviews. However, this card still seems to be above average in its OC ability. Whether that is worth the $255 price tag when all other 7850's were selling between $210 and $230 after rebate is up in the air. I feel slightly ripped off.

Nvidia asic scores weren't reading properly w/ older gpu-z. With the current gpu-z 0.6.5, my asic score is %76.5.

Sapphire 7970 ref
ASIC: 73.1%
gpuz0657970.png

haven't really pinned down the max OC on this card yet, had it up to 1200/1600 @ 1.20v without issue. didn't seem much point going above the 1125/1575 with games i'm currently playing. heat/noise not an issue as card WC'ed. actually the noisiest part of PC is the coil whine when loaded. coil noise not as bad when new tho (left game running at load in menu, seems to have settled the noise somewhat).

73.5% on my EVGA GTX 570 classified. I guess that's good, since this is one of the models that actually runs the default speeds at a lower voltage than many of the newer ones did!

Let me put it this way - isn't great, but the 7950s I've seen of late have ASICs in the late 50s.
Mine is around 57.

I was not even aware of this score, and had to look up on the net how
to find it. I am water cooling my old 680's with 4 gigs (evga) and
I don't know if 70,7 and 70.9 ( scores I received ) mean that mine
were not all that great to begin with ( silicon lottery ) or I am
putting too much voltage into them ?

I can put the parts together, but Im not that great at understanding.

Kind of like I can drive a car, but cant rebuild an engine.

I put new TIM on my GPU's when I put the water blocks on them.
Is an ASIC score something that goes down with age of the card ?

Thanks for any info.

Mike

7-14-2015%2012-40-44%20AM_zpsgm7wiupv.jpg

ASIC scores don't quite mean what everyone thinks they mean:

ASIC scores matter to the extent that it is used to set the idle and boost clock voltages and impacts what the stock boost clock will be based on a table.
Lower ASIC score ranges will have higher default voltages and lower boost clocks the converse for higher ASIC scores. Overclocking, while somewhat affected by the ASIC score, still follows the 'silicon lottery' rules for the most part.

ASIC scores are used to bin the GPU's to set idle vid and boost vid. This is based on a table where ASIC score ranges, define the vid and boost.
A higher ASIC score does not necessarily translate into higher overclock. It may allow you to overclock at a lower voltage and temp. It only takes one weak transistor or gate for an overclock to fail.

http://forums.evga.com/ASIC-Quality-really-matters-m2234102-p4.aspx

There are plenty of anecdotals in that thread about a card with lower ASIC overclocking higher than an identical card with a higher ASIC. As the person I quoted explains, that's because ASIC quality is not the only possible reason for an overclock to fail.

So a higher ASIC score means that the gpu is more efficient is what I got out of it. Temperature is always an issue when overclocking so I can see why people pay so much attention to this value.

This is so interesting to me, I had never even heard of a ASIC score before yesterday.
I thank all of you so much for letting me know that Im ok, and not to worry about
my score. Now what I would like to know is can it be changed with adding
or subtracting voltage ? Does it get worse with the age of the card, or does
is stay the same ?

This is fascinating......... I am 60 now and never really learned much about how
PC's work on the inside, but I build my own from parts.

Back in 1988 I use to cut the trace wires on my Amiga 500 and soldier in new chips
and I knew a lot about some things back in the day.

I build computers for my 24 year old son...LOL most parents have there kids set
the time on the VCR player ( DVD/Blueray now).

Thank You All !!!

Now what I would like to know is can it be changed with adding or subtracting voltage ? Does it get worse with the age of the card, or does is stay the same?

I think GPUz just reads a particular register on the GPU that holds the quality value set at the factory. I've never noticed any change dependent on voltage, and I'm pretty sure my 290x hasn't changed in the ~7 months I've had it.

Back