What's your favorite phone on Verizon

mryerse

2[H]4U
My wife and I want to switch to Verizon (from att) because pretty much all of our family is with Verizon and the mobile-mobile would be good for all parties involved. There is no other pressing need... att has good coverage in our area and we share 550 (or is it 450?) minutes for ~$60/mo after taxes, no text no data. I'd love to buy an iphone but I don't want to be locked with AT&T for 2 years. If I'm going to sign a contract I'd prefer it be with Verizon. I know Verizon has great coverage in my area so that is no concern.

I've been holding out from switching to Verizon because I haven't seen a phone that works on Verizon that I really want. I'd like an iphone the most but I'd rather invest in a more open phone, such as one running android.

So, what is your favorite phone that works on Verizon? Whether you got it with a contract or bought it independently I am curious. Some phones that (I think) don't work on Verizon and I like, are the Nokia N97, G1, iPhone, HTC Hero (aka tmobile mytouch), Palm Pre, and the blackberry tour. Some phones Verizon has that seem like their top phones are the HTC Touch and the LG Envy Touch. The HTC touch seems very expensive compared to other phones out there with similar capabilites, and I'm just not sure I'd be happy with and of the LG phone's browsing, app store, or gps capabilities (or incapabilities).

One thing I am really be interested in is a good app store like apple's or android's. I have heard about the ability to take a picture of a bar code and get price comparisons and that seems really useful to me.
Plus GPS with google maps, a decent browser, and a decent camera are some things I'd like in a phone.

So what's up with Verizon, am I missing something or does it seem all the good phones are with the other carriers? Curious to hear what your favs are.

Thanks.

I use a Blackberry Storm - which I like with either the latest software update or any of the leaked OSes.

The Blackberry Tour (EVDO Bold?) is supposedly coming out on Verizon in about 3 weeks, so that's probably your best bet. Verizon does not alter Blackberries as much as they do every other phone. However, the new Blackberry App Store/center/whatever is still in its relative infancy and not really impressive from what I saw.

I had an HTC Touch Pro (like the Sprint one) but Verizon lobotomized it, much like they do to most of their phones ( locking down, removed features, feature restrictions that need to be removed with custom firmwares and such ). I have not used the HTC Touch from Verizon.

Current Android phones are GSM only, the iPhone is GSM only. The Palm Pre would work on Verizon provided you get it unlocked (does Sprint lock their phones?), otherwise Verizon is getting the Pre next year after Sprint exclusivity ends.

Verizon has announced it will be getting Android-based phones, but that's 2 years off.

edit: Oh yeah, just know that Verizon pretty much forces you to add on the data plan for any smart phone (though it's the same with the iPhone anyway). Should really look at your potential costs and see if you can not make due with an alternative, like some sort of MyFaves thing that allows you to add phone numbers from other networks so you don't spend minutes calling them.

Last edited:
The iPhone... when Verizon gets it in 2010 if the rumors are true. :D

I don't mind paying for a data plan since I plan to use it a lot... my bigger problem is with texting... I wish everyone would just stop paying for them and just use internet connectivity for the same. Carriers are profiting tremendously off texting.

I thought about something like fav 5... and that would work on my end, but the family member I'd be talking to would still be using minutes so it's not as optimal as I'd like. Verizon does offer something similar, but my family would have to have 1400 minute plans to get it, and I don't think any of them do.

Maybe I'll just stick with att and get an iphone... it is depressing hearing how verizon butchers their customer's phones. If my family wants to talk they can call my home phone (vonage).

Touch Pro, though it's more of a business man's phone. The Verizon crippling it is vastly exaggerated and in some cases just not true, see the dedicated Touch Pro thread for more info.

How do you like your storm? I was very excited about it when it came out, but my brother has several co-workers who use it and do not like it. I know it's no iphone so as long as I know what I'm getting into before hand I may be okay with it... but it seems like lots are not happy with it's touch screen implementation.

Touch Pro, though it's more of a business man's phone. The Verizon crippling it is vastly exaggerated and in some cases just not true, see the dedicated Touch Pro thread for more info.

until they unlocked GPS, I would say that it's not that much of an exaggeration. As for why their phone "testing" phase took well over a year (excluding exclusivity for other carriers), that's my biggest issue with it.

OP: I would also go with an HTC Touch Pro or wait; new (2009) phones should be hitting the lineup from now til Oct-Nov.

GPS is locked... does that mean you have to buy vz navigator for it to work? If so, that would blow.

I'm also considering the palm pre with Sprint... They offer a plan with 1500 shared minutes and unlimited text/data for $130/mo for two phones... I don't know if it works for palm pre though cause the site said to call them instead of having a select button to add to cart. If so it sure beats $150/mo with ATT for two iphones w/unlimited data/texting sharing 550 minutes. Of course there is the serious limitation that Sprint has horrible coverage in my neighborhood. However, it could be a selling point that ATT retentions might be willing to try and match. I don't mind paying for what I get.. but I want to get the best deal I can at the same time. Right now Verizon and ATT have the best coverage in my area. Tmobile is medium and sprint is horrible.

It looks like if you want a smartphone with Verizon you have to pay $30/mo per smartphone on your plan... so to get unlimited text/data with two phones and 700 minutes would be $160/mo I believe. With all the support for Verizon I hear out there, it doesn't seem like they are trying to be competitive. Maybe they know they have a lot of customers and don't need to...

That plan should work for the Pre, that is what they offered me (but they were out of phones). I don't think you can order the Pre from their website yet, you couldn't as of two weeks ago.

BB has the Pre for the $200 in store without having to mess with the rebates (if any near you actually have stock). Sprint really screwed up not having enough of those.

GPS is locked... does that mean you have to buy vz navigator for it to work? If so, that would blow.

Verzon is notorious for going Dr. Frankenstein on the phones they carry; but most carriers do it to one degree or another. Taking out a litte of this, add in a little of that. As to the GPS, I think they've learned their lesson. So far the Omnia, HTC Touch Pro and another have been unlocked. I'm sure most phones released this year will be sold with GPS as-is from manuf.

It looks like if you want a smartphone with Verizon you have to pay $30/mo per smartphone on your plan... so to get unlimited text/data with two phones and 700 minutes would be $160/mo I believe. With all the support for Verizon I hear out there, it doesn't seem like they are trying to be competitive. Maybe they know they have a lot of customers and don't need to...

I have about 500-660 day time minutes and unlimited data: my plan is roughly $74. I'm sure after 10+ years I could renegotiate and get a slightly better deal, but I never have--so that should be the same rate for anyone else. Also, so you know, verizon-to-verizon calls are free no matter what time of the day.

Since you started off considering VzW as your main focus, in this thread, I figured that you had decided on a Carrier. But, since you're debating Sprint, you really should consider the Pro/Con of the Network, device availabilty, plans and fees, and support.

VzW has a damn good Network. That's my reason for switching so long ago. But AT&T has just about nearly caught up. Sprint, not so much. But, it really depends on where you'll be using your device(s).

As for plans, VzW aint cheap. But AT&T wins the crown for exhuberant cost, IMO. Sprint probably has better deals (See Coverage).

I didn't mention T-mobile in pricing or coverage because they fall somewhere, squarely, between VzW & AT&T > - - - - - - < Sprint on both.

These days, almost all phones that gain noteriety become "exclusive" to one carrier or another. This is why I'm damn glad the new FCC chairmen has been requested by many Senantors to look into the exclusitivty deals. But for now:

VzW has exclusives with Blackberry (more than most).
AT&T has iPhone.
Sprint has Palm.
T-mobile has the G1 (Android).

There are, of course, many, many other phones in each carriers line up that aren't sold on other carriers-- so you'll just have to keep tabs.

Thanks... Yeah verizon is the main focus not so much just for me but also for the other family members (parents in other states who want to talk to my 2 yr old). But the more i look into the real costs I'm having doubts about switching. I'm just not excited about the storm, and of the lg phones on Verizon, and I'm not excited to wait for a pre or something else that might end up being modified to a point where I don't like it. I do like the reports I hear about verizon's reliability, and I have no shortage of friends who are satisfied. However, my experience with AT&T has improved since they absorbed Cingular (who I was with originally). I've had no shortage of problems with AT&T/Cingular, but they have always resolved the problem with a phone call and not too much fuss.

I dunno... maybe I'll just get some old crappy used phones and do a month-month plan with verizon and wait for a phone I know I want.

until they unlocked GPS, I would say that it's not that much of an exaggeration. As for why their phone "testing" phase took well over a year (excluding exclusivity for other carriers), that's my biggest issue with it.

OP: I would also go with an HTC Touch Pro or wait; new (2009) phones should be hitting the lineup from now til Oct-Nov.

The GPS was unlockable for free right after it came out via ppcgeeks.com. Other then having less RAM which some would see as a benefit due to longer battery life, that's it. Even the less RAM isn't an issue because it has plenty of RAM to do whatever you need to do until the CPU bottlenecks you. So sure more RAM would be nice but is it crippled? Not at all. In side by side comparison the Verizon has gotten better marks for build quality as well. Perspective.

OP, knowing what your budget is for the phone would help narrow it down. Don't let hearsay put you off the Touch Pro if that's a phone you might've been interested in. It is however their most expensive phone (I think). Now the Touch Pro 2 is coming soon, you might take a gander at it. I linked a review in this section of the forums earlier.

Thanks, phone budget is not so much a concern as much as I want to be happy with the phone. In fact I would even consider paying $550 for an N97 provided I knew it would work with a carrier I like. It would be hard for my to go for a htc touch considering it's going to get refreshed here soon and verizon still wants $350, more than the 32gb iphone. Wonder what the 2 will go for.

I'm personally waiting patiently for the Samsung Omnia II so I can ditch my awful Moto Q9m

Verizon has a lot of awesome phones. The enV line, and Samsung Glyde are prob the two that look the best.

I got here through an RSS feed using Viigo while listening to Slacker.

And I'm typing this completely unecessary sentence because I love the feel of typing on my Storm...after loosening the torx screws and sticking some electrical tape behind the battery cover of course. :)

The Tour will have double the app memory and a real qwerty, so that's worth checking out on the 12th of July. (rumored release date)

Personally I'm not sure I would want to half my screen just for a better keyboard. After the tweaks and A LOT of practice I can hit 50WPM on the Storm. Not to mention how fun tapping on the thing can be!

So far my Curve. The Tour should be available for pre-order next week. We're all trying to get TeleSales to hook us up. :D

Honestly, I got a BlackBerry last summer because none of the regular phones piqued my interest. Everything seemed to suck, and coincidentally the Curve came out right when my NE2 was available.

In the past year I have had the voyager, enV and now the dare. For work we have Black Berrys 8830's for work. All of them are OK, none of them are great.... I've been looking around for another VZW phone too, but just have not seen anything that jumps out and grabs me.

If I were you I would be hard pressed to switch and give up the iPhone option

I really didn't read much of others posted sooo....

I got a blackberry storm. I find the screen very nice. I send emails, sms, mms, pins ,etc.. and all get through fine. I just recently got the phone so probably a week or so later after they updated the phone I got.148. For the brower to be honest the one it comes with sucks so I got opera mini. With opera mini everything loads fast; I go to dailytech.com, gamespot.com etc,, and all sites pull up just fine; this speedtest app I have I've seen it spike to 800.kb/1MB/sec before. I live in Cali so the coverage may differ in other areas. I only saw this happen once so the actual coverage will vary, but in a good coverage area expect 600kb/sec or so.

Last edited:
They are also coming out with the tour (maybe early to mid july) soon so you can check that out.

What do you think of the tour Mega0v? I'm already starting to have device lust just because it's new! Of course the extra app memory and dedicated keyboard have me curious. :D

You mean the Storm. The Tour does have a hardware qwerty, albeit w/ a smaller screen that's no longer touch. Silly BB...surepress if for kids. :D

EDIT: Wow...that TP2 keyboard looks sick!

I'm waiting for Verizon to let existing customers upgrade to the Tour. Supposed to be today. I can't be bothered with a slider. I don't like holding devices sideways either.

You mean the Storm. The Tour does have a hardware qwerty, albeit w/ a smaller screen that's no longer touch. Silly BB...surepress if for kids. :D

EDIT: Wow...that TP2 keyboard looks sick!

yes. But, I really meant to say the tour (nor the storm) or the EnV Touch are the form-factor the OP's decided on.

And yes, the TP2 looks slick. If only I could merge the OmniaPRO and TP2 into 1. And by their powers combined, they are .. :p

Of course, the OmniaPRO would have to be slated for US carriers, and I've yet to see anything imply that it will be entering the fray. Furthermore, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to me, if VzW offers the Omnia HD, Omnia II, OmniaPRO AND the TP2. So, the decision may already have been made for those of us on VzW, and looking for a WinMo touch/slider.

I want (AM)OLED on my phone, soooo bad..:(

I have a Storm & love it. Great phone once the o/s is updated. If I didn't have a Storm, the Tour (Bold) would be my choice.

Neither the tour, or EnV touch have a physical keyboard. The OP has stated this is a form function he desires.

OP: I'd hold for the HTC TP2 (should be on VzW in the next few weeks) or the OmniaPRO.

small comparrison I did a few weeks ago here on [H]forums:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1428428

I think your facts are wrong. Both have a physical keyboard.

The HTC phones are nice but be wary because VZW cripples their hardware.

I have a Storm & love it. Great phone once the o/s is updated. If I didn't have a Storm, the Tour (Bold) would be my choice.
I picked up a Pre today. My storm will be on Craig's list momentarily. :D

I have an Alias 2. It works for me. I don't mind texting on it. I do have to cancel the web as I don't even use it. Being on the web on a tiny phone is like breathing through a straw(when you don't have to).

http://www.gadgetreview.com/tag/alias2

If i changed, I would go with the Env Touch.

Scratch that, I would get the Tour as well.

Last edited:
I picked up a Pre today. My storm will be on Craig's list momentarily. :D

I played with the Pre. I didn't like it. The screen is too small and the keyboard was made for the Munchkins in the Wizard of Oz. Good luck with it..
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

That tour craps part of the reason for my giving VZW the finger. LAME.

Hah, apparently VZW changed their tune. Tour now available for pre order from existing customers.

Back