What's your current mp3 player?

Delete

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase a portable mp3 player to replace one I got back in 05 (I think it's about time) and I've decided to get an 8gb zune because of the size and features--like the fact that it has FM radio. Out of curiosity, I'd like to know what portable players you guys are using and what you think about them. Maybe I'll go with something else after hearing what you all have to say. Thanks.

Note: I ended up purchasing the 8GB Sansa Clip that was available at Walmart for $49--great mp3 player. PnP, FM Radio (which you can record--I think), has a voice recorder which has a lot of good uses, supports ogg and flac, good battery life, and it has a decent DAP. Good mp3 player to get while waiting for something like zuneHD, etc.

Last edited:
Zune 30gig in the house and iPod Nano 2nd Gen in the car (controlled by my Kenwood deck).

Sony Walkman 2gb NWD-EO25F. Available only in Asia, as far as I know.

It's 2gb, which is more than enough for me. Also gets FM radio. Small, light, portable. It's great.

My current mp3 player is an iPod touch 16GB that I had purchased a little over a year ago. It was pricy, but its still going strong. I don't know what the prices are like now but I think that they have dropped a little bit. If you do buy one though, I highly recommend buying a case for it as well because the back can scratch up real easily.

For 95% of portable music needs, iPod Video 30GB, heavily shielded by an iFrogz rubber case and a plastic front piece.

For running / recording class lectures, some PNY 256MB piece of crap. :p

My PC / Hifi.

Auzentech Prelude Analogue out
Onkyo 875 amp
Mission 754 front speakers Bi-wired (soon to be modded :))
Acoustic Energy Evo Centre
Acoustic Energy 109 rears (looking to get AE EVO 3's)
BK Monolith front sub
REL Strata II rear sub
(Subs are fed from speaker live terminals to match the timing and tonal qualities fed to the speakers, really does sound a lot better)
Big room

Currently playing with the 3D surround modes as different songs really can sound better in different modes (when the speaker levels are set up well !)
I cant play the same music too often or it gets samey so I like to get the best sound when I do :)
Bass depth and quality are just as important as the rest of the sound for me.

I saw this thread about a first generation 8GB iPod Touch for $99 but I passed on it... Still looking...

I use my iPhone 8GB, it has a nice interface and is easy to use, plus like speedy said it's my phone so it's on me all the time anyway.

For running and resistance training my iPod Shuffle is fantastic - sometimes I forget I'm even wearing it.

Me I have a 5th Gen iPod (w/video) 60gig and a 1st Gen iPhone, 4gig. I probably use the iPhone more since I carry that around but like the iPod for the storage of my full media library.

My 4 year old Rio Karma. I do have an iPhone but I use my Karma most of the time (commute to and from work).

I use this http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665368515

however, I've also started using my Blackberry Storm. that will need an immediate fix with new headphones. I was looking at something offered from shure to remedy that though.

As for the sony I love it. very light and noise canceling. no need for any bulky in like noise canceling battery packs. the major bonus for me regarding the mp3 player is drag and drop file transfers with just the explorer. no need for any retarded software to sync.

Don't know if you are still looking, I'd definitely recommend a Sansa player as well. It will do most everything that zune will do, but has the benefit of being expandable if you find you didn't buy quite large enough. Size wise they tend to be smaller, if I were getting a new MP3 player now it's what I'd get.

I use this http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665368515

however, I've also started using my Blackberry Storm. that will need an immediate fix with new headphones. I was looking at something offered from shure to remedy that though.

As for the sony I love it. very light and noise canceling. no need for any bulky in like noise canceling battery packs. the major bonus for me regarding the mp3 player is drag and drop file transfers with just the explorer. no need for any retarded software to sync.

"drag and drop file transfers with just the explorer. no need for any retarded software to sync"

at least one company got it right

Don't know if you are still looking, I'd definitely recommend a Sansa player as well. It will do most everything that zune will do, but has the benefit of being expandable if you find you didn't buy quite large enough. Size wise they tend to be smaller, if I were getting a new MP3 player now it's what I'd get.

The silver Sansa Clip caught my eye the other day so I do have that in mind. Also, yes I am still looking and so I appreciate your post very much! (along with all the other responses of course!). ;)

Sansa clip is nice. Two things to keep in mind about it A) it isn't expandable like the other sansa's are and B) it obviously won't do any video play back. (not to be patronizing, it's just a habit I have from working at Radio Shack and dealing with strange questions...I have actually gotten asked if it would play videos as well). AFAIK the clips only go up to 4 gb as well. So you'd have half the capacity of the Fuze and lose the expandability. Also I think the 4 gb clip is a bit more expensive usually than the same size fuze and only maybe 20-30 cheaper than the 8 gb.

Also, as far as drag-and-drop goes. The last I knew all of the sansa support that as well, even though they don't really talk it up too much as a selling point. I just drop my music onto my sansa (I have one of the old stick ones, a c200 I believe) and it will automatically handle arranging it in folders and stuff.

Creative Zen Vision M 30gb. Been running amazing for 3 years now. Goes everywhere with me! I think it's time for something new though... going to stay creative.

Then i also have an Iriver n11 (1gb) for random on the go stuff, and it just stays in my backpack

The best thing about the creative is:

1. No need to external software. Drag and drop; or if you want album artwork, windows media player.
2. Supports .avi and .wmv. I can just copy my dvd's right to it. It's awesome!

Zune 8GB 3rd Gen for my music.
iPhone 3G 16GB for streaming music and watching movies.

FYI, I don't know if it's already been posted or not but I believe Wal-Mart has the 8GB Sansa Clip for $49 right now. Same chip as the Fuze has.

I'm using a 60GB iPod Video that my girlfriend got me a couple years ago. I also use my BlackBerry Curve when I forget my iPod (happens more than you think).

I've got an 80 gig Zune for myself, my son inherited my 8 gig flash zune, and my daughter has a 4 gig pink zune - I would have got the 8 for her as well, but she wanted pink - and I couldn't find an 8 in pink.. UGH.

Get the Zune, get the Zune Pass, and don't look back. But in your case I'd consider getting the 16 gig model. Double the space for 40 bucks more.....

Zune Pass Kick A$$, just wish I could get TV shows on it - that's my one gripe. TV shows (for the most part) are a purchase only deal. No Zune Pass love on those.

If you have a 360 you can hook the zune right up to it directly and the 360 will recognize it. Also the Zune software supports sharing so you can play your music over your 360 via a network connection (even your zune pass downloads).

Creative Zen X-fi 16GB for work and travel.
Ipod 120GB in the glove box of the car controlled through the stock stereo.

For anyone interested in a comparison, I used the stock phones of each and my grado sr-80s on both players and there is really no audible difference between the 2 playing the same rip of the same song on the same headphones. The stock zen headphones blow the stock apple headphones out of the water. I have yet to get a portable amp to use with the grados but they sound about the same as the stock zen headphones.

Visual Land 8GB V-Touch that cost only $80 months ago (Like it better than Ipod Touch... no itunes garbage).

Right now, I'm using a 512mb RCA player (has a microSD slot with a 2gig card.:p)

Got 2 80 gig Ipod classics on the way; Going to make 2 non-working ones into one good one.

Back