What's your 4k media playing hardware/software?

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
I'm just checking to see what everyone is using to play their 4k media.

I've been using a NUC7i5BNH (i5, 16GB, 250GB M.2 EVO) + Plex (OpenPHT until I realized it was the source of my media stuttering issues). I'll have to use Plex Media Player or go back to Kodi for a while. My TV has a built in Roku that I'm starting to play with also and I'm trying to find a Raspberry Pi like device that can use plex and handle 4k. Right now the only thing looks to be the Rock64 + Debian + Plex.

I've been curious what people are using as I'd like to play with some new devices.

Sony 4K player and Apple TV 4K.

Outside of straight up piracy, what other viable media paths are there? You can't reliably rip 4K discs yet, unuhd is very limited in support (relative to say AnyDVD level of disc support).
Getting HD sound to work is still a hassle.
iTunes (one of the big players) still doesn't allow h265 or 4K to be streamed locally (meaning no rips).

It will eventually get there, but right now it seems like actually buying movies and watching them the intended way is the best way to enjoy them. The iTunes 4K "menu" for movie is very minimal and pleasant. And I can't think of any disruptive commercials so far on the 6-8 4K discs I have bought (like where you can't fast forward or skip tons of previews).

EDIT: I should add I have 20TB of local server space with 1300+ movies. I also have a 4K UHD Bluray optical drive in my computer. So I am anticipating eventually being able to rip these movies myself. But right now it is not as convenient as just buying the movie on iTunes or on disc. $20 (or less) on iTunes for good video and sound quality with no hassle.

I use a Roku Ultra for the 4k stuff on NetFlix and Amazon and an Oppo BDP-203 for 4K discs. I also use the Oppo as a front end for my media server, which has 1:1 rips of my Blu-ray collection.

Back