What's y'all's read on the 12-pin PCIe rumor surrounding the 3080ti?

I just liked the direct size comparison to the dual 8pins that we all know and hate so much.

I ran two of those in SLI for a very short amount of time.
I ran three 480s at one point. Had to use folded pieces of cardboard to separate the cards from sandwiching the middle card, or the top two would run over 100C. Down to a single card now since game devs can't be bothered to flip the mGPU DX12 switch.

Reactions: Angry
like this
Well, there will likely be an adapter. Having to buy a new PSU, and possibly a new case, on top of $2,000... hard sell.

Your absolutely right. Anyone who buys a new power supply instead of using the adapter that will ship with every GPU is beyind moronic.
That's of course assuming this even makes it on any consumer products this round and isn't just for their enterprise compute products for now.

That's of course assuming this even makes it on any consumer products this round and isn't just for their enterprise compute products for now.

Rumor is that it's Founder's Editions only and AIB cards will be regular 8-pins.

Doesn't bother me. I got mad soldering skillz and if need be I'll solder my own DIY cable to the card. FTW!

As someone who will probably grab a FE card, I like the design, it's a bit annoying NV are doing this. So all the people who have custom colored cables are now going to have to use this stupid 12pin adapter, assuming next week it's confirmed.

As someone who will probably grab a FE card, I like the design, it's a bit annoying NV are doing this. So all the people who have custom colored cables are now going to have to use this stupid 12pin adapter, assuming next week it's confirmed.
I'm imagining that Cablemod and others will be pretty quick to roll out custom cables with this connector. I got a new PSU in anticipation of the 3090 (needed more wattage) and haven't ordered my custom cables yet, because I'm waiting to see what I'll need.

So I wanted to add this to the conversation concerning the photos of the dual 8-pin to 12-pin nVIDIA PCIe power connector from Seasonic we've seen photos of here on this thread. So many are speculating that when the RTX 30 series comes out any cards that need the connector will come with an adapter that looks like the Seasonic cable. Might be very likely but then last night I had a look at my new Seasonic TX-850 850W 80 Plus Titanium PSU going into my new rig and...what my eyes discovered is every CPU/PCIe connector going into that modular PSU are 8-pin inputs! That could mean the cable we've seen from Seasonic in photos is NO adapter cable but could be an actual cable meant to go into one of their modular PSU's. Adding to that, it would either come with Seasonic PSUs after the RTX 30 series launches or for PSU's that never got one originally you could order one directly from Seasonic to use in an appropriately capable PSU. Just another thought from me and until next time I am out!

I think it’s kinda cool. Not a big deal if they are including adapters. Plus all high end PSUs are modular so can probably get a special cable for it if you want super clean look.

Back