Whats wrong with my temperature? :(

sniper991122

Supreme [H]ardness
So I put on the Ninja Scythe to my e6400 on the gigabyte DS3, I put it on till I heard it snapped and I've applied more pressure but it wont lock in anymore.... I just reapplied the thermal paste and I know its a good amount not too much or too little...

under full load I get 55 degrees at stock speeds... 2.13ghz and im getting 55 degrees....
at Idle its 35 degrees average... the thing that really confuses me though is when I touch the heatsink, even at the bottom copper part closest to the CPU it is barely hot at all... feels no where near 35 degrees celcius....

this is all fanless as well, I placed and held the fan up next to the heat sink where i'd mount it and there was absolutely no temperature change because the heatsink simply isn't hot...

any ideas? Maybe its not on correctly but even when I try and force it down from the top (just holding it down) under full load the temps drop to about 47 degrees then rise back up to 55...

Did it come with directions?
Also you may not have applied the paste properly,go to the arctic silver website they have good directions for thermal paste application.

even if the temp sensor was bad, the heatsink should still be hot but it isn't....

and the arctic silver was applied correctly, I put a tad too much the first time but I went back and reapplied it by putting a little and then spreading it with a flat card...

I wont rule out the possibility that I scratched the bottom of the heatsink but I literally took off the protective cover and then placed it immediately onto the cpu so I dont see where it could have gotten scratched.... this is frustrating and I want to start oc'ing already :mad:

as for the directions, it says push down on the heatsink till it clicks... did that for all 4 and they all clicked...

Never thought about touching a heatsink, but just for the sake of argument, aluminum doesn't retain heat.

well i touched the copper part at the bottom below the aluminum and it doesn't feel like the temperatures its telling me it is... it feels almost room temperature even under full load

Here is the clue that gives it away ... you say when you manually press down on the heatsink the temperature drops. You also heard a snap. I think you broke the mounting bracket so it is on there kind of loose , it is a very high quality heatsink so of course even loosely attached it does a respectable job -- considering it is on there loose.

If it was on there correctly -- no disrespect intended because I bet you did mount it correctly before the 'snap' was heard -- then pressing down on the heatsink would make no difference.

You will do fine at stock speeds but I would not advise you to do any serious overclocking with that HSF.

nah snap can be normal. I'm not too familiar with the heatsink. Is there a way to screw it down instead of using the snap mounts?

Also, temps would be way higher / bordering throttling if not, if you had it mounted on piss poor.

I will say thoguh that with my ac freezer, I could have it installed properly but still it'd be loose. Temps were within reason albeit hot like your's, and it did also drop when I pressed down. I feel like you'd definitely get a bit of an increase in performance if you switched to the boltdown method (if one exists).

As for readings, you're using coretemp? I'm imagining it'd be pretty accurate, although there is a wide range of reportings so I wouldn't worry too much. For instance my e6400 is definitely on the high side of things. Even with water cooling, I can see 50+ load easily with a little bit of voltage. With what I'd like to run, coretemp shows load at 65 still yet!

wdn, the 'snap' i was referring to is the snap the 4 push pin things make once it 'unlocks' itself and fastens itself to the motherboard... I pushed all 4 down and they all 'snapped' into place...

I ever removed the HS to reapply the thermal paste and everything was fine... snapped back into place like it did earlier...

now when I push down on the heatsink to get a closer contact to the cpu it really doesn't change anything... if I hold it down for a minute the temperatures stay at the same 53-55 degrees celcius...

and unfortunately theres no way to screw it in =\

Back