Whats wrong with my Samsung SyncMaster 305T?

Train951

n00b
I purchased this recently, seller had no way of testing it.
When the monitor isn't plugged in, the screen alternates between full screen red/white/green/etc

It's connected via a new dual-link DVI cable.

Attachments

• rPETT-XydonF-bTmzg9GKZ1bBi8eu8x9V4hmSLJNDEA.jpg
    rPETT-XydonF-bTmzg9GKZ1bBi8eu8x9V4hmSLJNDEA.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 40
So it can be made to work perfectly normal again with the reballing method?

Also, if I have a laptop with HDMI/VGA outputs only, is there any way I can get this monitor to work with it? The monitor only has 1 dual-link DVI input..

Reballing, either done professionally or the oven bake hack, may fix it temporarily. But the scaler will overheat and die again unless fitted with a cooling fan.

I don't think there's any way to run a 305t from VGA; HDMI will work with a suitable cable or converter, but only as single-link so the monitor won't go above 1280x800.

Reballing will work without cooling if the original lead-free solder is replaced with something that doesn't microfracture.

Oven baking needs active cooling because the solder isn't replaced, it is just melted enough to fix the microfractures and it will happen again if it gets too hot and then cooled. Sooner or later it will die no matter how good the cooling is so you will be living on borrowed time.

Connecting it to your laptop's HDMI port is possible only if your laptop supports HDMI 1.4, otherwise it doesn't have the bandwidth to go over 1920x1200.

My best advice is get your money back and buy a 27" 1080p monitor if your laptop isn't HDMI 1.4, or buy a monitor/TV w/HDMI 1.4 support if it does.

Connecting it to your laptop's HDMI port is possible only if your laptop supports HDMI 1.4, otherwise it doesn't have the bandwidth to go over 1920x1200.
There's no way to get more than 1280x800 out of a 305t via HDMI. It only supports two resolutions, 1280x800 via SL-DVI or converted HDMI, and 2560x1600 via DL-DVI. The 'scaler' chip really only has one scaling mode, 2x2 upscaling.

I remember reading the reviews of the 305t when I saw how cheap they are now, and so many failed after just a few years. This is not a good monitor model

I remember reading the reviews of the 305t when I saw how cheap they are now, and so many failed after just a few years. This is not a good monitor model

Yep. This wasn't the best monitor unlike Dell.

There's no way to get more than 1280x800 out of a 305t via HDMI. It only supports two resolutions, 1280x800 via SL-DVI or converted HDMI, and 2560x1600 via DL-DVI. The 'scaler' chip really only has one scaling mode, 2x2 upscaling.

I mixed up HDM 2.0 w/1.4 - 1.4 cannot go over 1920x1200.

By plugging the HDMI 2.0 output to a HDMI to DisplayPort converter, then plug the DisplayPort to a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter like the Accell or Bizlink it would work. I know there has been work on HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort chipsets (the HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort like the STDP2600 are already out) but I'm not sure if they are released yet.

Mind you at that point it might be cheaper to buy a better 30" monitor with native DisplayPort inputs - I bought a used HP ZR30W for $250 CDN.

The gist of this thread is basically the OP bought a crap monitor that had no hope of working properly with the OP's laptop even if it wasn't broken.

OP, buy a Dell!

Last edited:
This model had a very common failure of the tcon overheating and slowly dying over time.

Back