Whats with all the Gigabyte hate?

I just found out my ram (TWINX1024-3200XLPRO x2) actually wont fit in the GA-K8NXP-SLI and im a little ticked at Giga-Byte right now. Generally ive not had a problem with them before. Most of there boards ive used were rock solid a few DOA's here n there but they were Replaced RMA with out any problem.

(D.P.S kicks ass BTW)

SixFootDuo said:
One of the reasons you will find gigabyte boards along side pc chips, epox and the like at your local computer store is because they have a low cost point and higher resell pricing.
which is good for the shop owner. These boards also rate very very average. Just google "gigabyte review" and see for yourself.

MSI, I always have a ton of DOA boards .. never will use again

Gigabyte, very lack luster and average

Abit, always good performance and features

Asus, quality and performance, love them

Shuttle had some good boards 4 - 5 years ago, they are off the radar now

just personal opinions of course

It's been more than 4 or 5 years since Shuttle had a good board.

Shuttle had good boards back during the Pentium 1 days with the I430HX chipset which was still using EDO SIMMs. Shuttle's PII boards were abysmal and just plain crap. I don't know about their latest offerings, but outside their small form factor machines I don't think they are doing anything really.

I've found Asus to be the most consistant mobo maker when it comes to quality and performance. Abit on the other hand is a mixed bag. Some boards of thiers are fantastic and others suck on monkey genitals.

Gigabyte in my opinion is one of the most overrated motherboard makers. Inconsistant quality, questionable features like that stupid AGP Power thing they do which serves no purpose. Even with that power board add on thingy they still can't touch Abit or Asus for OC'ing. Not to mention their boards have a color scheme that is homosexual at best. I've had a few that customers have burnt up somehow or another and a few that have burnt up right out of the box.

I rank Gigabyte with EpoX. Sometimes they'll put together a single board or two (not models but SINGLE SOLITARY MOBO) that's have ass worth a crap. The rest of the time its like playing Russian Roulette. You never know.

I've got a gigabyte 7n400 pro. It's alright. I wish I had gone with something else though. For about the first 7 or 8 months, it seemed I had a lot of problems but for the last year it has been pretty stable. My main reason for getting was because it was cheaper than asus or abit at the time. You get what you pay for.

I only had money for a gigabyte.

I was buying a PCI-E board, for a socket 939. there were very few motherboards to choose from at that time.

Gigabyte had the Gak8nf-9 for $130. There was an asus board for 160, and another one for about $180.I had no choice. I wanted a board with the Nforce-4 chip, and PCI-E.

Ive never had a problem with my gigabyte board, and I would buy one again for another build if the price was right. I dont need a fancy board with a shit-load of options and features, which I wont ever need or use.

I also have a Geforce 6600GT that I paid $129.00 for at newegg (refurbished). Works great. The idle temp is 52C, full load is 60C. Ive overclocked my video card and my motherboard a little, and they work good in all my games. The shading in farcry is f-cked up, shadows show up as big black squares, but other than that... awesome stuff for the price.

Im on the K8nXP SLI
the one that came with the 802.11B/G PCI card. And I love it

First off when i bought it, there was only a few sli boards cheaper than it. And they didnt have the options I wanted(MSI, lack of PCIe, Asus : Layout, brand, features. DFI: was 40 dollars more expensive)

I've had two problems with this board

A: Setting up windows to boot off sata, A few tricks and settings had to be done. Theres really two ways to have it set. Once you know the settings this isnt an issue.

B: I overclocked recently. All went find, Benchmarked alittle. I reinstalled some drivers(Nforce4 and Video) As well as some programs and rebooted. Boom Bios Error. Dual bios took acouple tries but it finally fixed the bios with its backup and all is good again. IT was odd as i only overclocked by 200mhz. It mightuve actually been a boot virus(I had a cd in the drive, and it seemed to boot from the cd, THEN reboot to bios and gave the error) I don't know. But Dual Bios Fucking Rules

Also, I have a XP90 and DPS board on the moboat the same time. Thermalright says its incompatible but it fits fine.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Gigabyte in my opinion is one of the most overrated motherboard makers. Inconsistant quality, questionable features like that stupid AGP Power thing they do which serves no purpose. Even with that power board add on thingy they still can't touch Abit or Asus for OC'ing. Not to mention their boards have a color scheme that is homosexual at best. I've had a few that customers have burnt up somehow or another and a few that have burnt up right out of the box.

I rank Gigabyte with EpoX. Sometimes they'll put together a single board or two (not models but SINGLE SOLITARY MOBO) that's have ass worth a crap. The rest of the time its like playing Russian Roulette. You never know.

I've built probably 50 Epox Nforce 2 systems, about 10 Epox Nforce 3. They were always rock solid and great on features. ALso fairly cheap. I used 3 Epox Nforce2 boards for my main machine. I consider them to be great. Also built alot of systems based off KM400's. I've done MSI, Epox, Soltek, Chaintek. After all of those I have to say the Epox was the best. The only issue i ever had is i had to update the bios in order to get pci modems to work

As for gigabyte, Homosexual? How is blue/black combo homosexual? AGP power thingy? You mean DPS? I really cant say if that helps or not. I've had it both on and off and my temps have been the same. My rails have tightened up once i put the card in but not by much as my PSU isnt crappy..

I've had customers burn up EVERY brand of mobo. Brand new top of the line asus, abit, msi boom dead. Don't blame the board. Blame the customer. Hell a common issue is some fucknut leaves or installes a standoff thats not supposed to be there. It causes a short and kills the board

I had a GA7N400 Pro 2 that required a BIOS flash just to install Windows, had a loud northbridge fan, couldn't do squat with my multiplier unlocked mobile Barton, had some weird RAM compatibility issues even after the BIOS update, and was just all around a very poor board.

I hear many people that swear by Giga-byte, but they always preface it with "If you're looking at a Giga-byte, it had better end in 'NXP.'" Their mid and low end boards are junk, but their high end boards are pretty good. Gigabyte=Giga-bites, IMO.

Here's a quote from the review of the K8NXP-SLI on [H]ardOCP:

That said, this is the first Gigabyte review you have read on HardOCP in quite a while, and the reason is that this is the first “reviewable” board we have seen from Gigabyte in quite a while. By “reviewable,” I mean one that will stand up to our testing standards without turning into a 100+ hour project. We find there are many things to tinker with on many motherboards in order to get them running stable, but in the past, Gigabyte has continually delivered motherboards with severe lackluster performance.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzQ0LDc=

Check it yourself :).

Ruffy said:
I've built probably 50 Epox Nforce 2 systems, about 10 Epox Nforce 3. They were always rock solid and great on features. ALso fairly cheap. I used 3 Epox Nforce2 boards for my main machine. I consider them to be great. Also built alot of systems based off KM400's. I've done MSI, Epox, Soltek, Chaintek. After all of those I have to say the Epox was the best. The only issue i ever had is i had to update the bios in order to get pci modems to work

As for gigabyte, Homosexual? How is blue/black combo homosexual? AGP power thingy? You mean DPS? I really cant say if that helps or not. I've had it both on and off and my temps have been the same. My rails have tightened up once i put the card in but not by much as my PSU isnt crappy..

I've had customers burn up EVERY brand of mobo. Brand new top of the line asus, abit, msi boom dead. Don't blame the board. Blame the customer. Hell a common issue is some fucknut leaves or installes a standoff thats not supposed to be there. It causes a short and kills the board

Alot of the systems I am talking about that customers owned, weren't boards they installed. They were from pre-built systems. That's not them. That's an unreliable and shitty board.

I don't know what Gigabyte boards your looking at. But the one here:
http://www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/Mobos/K8T800/Giga_K8NNXP.shtml has typical Gigabyte homo colors. The ugly ass green, pastel blue, ugly shade of blue for the PCB.

I can't comment on the DPS thing other than I don't think it works that well. It doesn't bring their OC'ing or stability up to the level of Asus or others, so obviously it can't be all that great. What I was talking about was the stupid extra 4 pin molex connector above the AGP slot they used on some boards that was useless as hell. Apparently they don't do it anymore.

EpoX on the other hand, I've seen alot of PS/2 keyboard and mouse port failures out of them. Don't know why. Plus I've had a number of them come through the tech shop with swelling capacitors. So I can't recommend them. Some of these boards only do this after three months of time in a customers unit. That's crap. Therefore I rank them with Gigabyte for quality.

Everyone's experiences differ. There are people who swear by Gigabyte and by EpoX, DFI and whomever else they choose to. Personally Asus is one of the few manufacturers I trust. Supermicro and Tyan are two of the others. Abit's always been a mixed bag for me and Intel boards, while badass for quality lack competetive features. So I only recommend those for OEM style machines. The processor type for me determines what boards I'll recommend to. Asus is the only one I recommend for either AMD or Intel rigs, I recommend Abit only for Intel, MSI only for AMD systems.

To each their own. :cool:

Back