What's with 1070 prices?!

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Have you guys noticed that the 1070 gpu prices have gone up this last month around $150 to $250 dollars?! Looks like supply must be real tight. Was waiting to buy an Aero 1070 Itx last month it was $380 now it's like $530 for starters! Wth! Miners?!

Geez!

As you know, miners have driven up the prices by buying them all up. now is not the time to buy, and a few months from now, stay clear of the used market as these beat to shit cards start showing up for sale.

So guess I got to get a 1080 or better or no value or savings. This sucks. Need a gpu purely for VR.

EVGA does refurbs and are probably the only decent deal right now. That will become the thing to buy after the price surge drops down.

Also, hopefully, when Vega drops that will increase competition and help pricing at least a little bit. But that launch isn't until the end of this month AND we have no idea what AMD's supply will be like. If it paper launches, than expect this drought to continue even longer.

Was waiting to take advantage of 4th of July deals but I guess this is not the month for deals. Need small form factor gpu. This sucks.

For that kind of money better of with a 1080 Ti. What are they thinking marking up the prices like that?!

As you know, miners have driven up the prices by buying them all up. now is not the time to buy, and a few months from now, stay clear of the used market as these beat to shit cards start showing up for sale.

Exactly. Only buy new. For GPUs, the FS thread is dead to me.

I have never killed a video card mining, nor have any of my mining cards caused problems when I sold them after mining.

Got a ten percent coupon for bestbuy expires today but just my luck the evga 1080 Ti SC black I wanted is oos!

A good miner undervolts the card by 20-40% or more. It's just cruising at that point. Sure not everybody does, but I think most miners get to that point pretty quickly.

On my pair of 1080ti I'm mining with I can drop power level by 35-40% and still get 95% the hash rate. Took me a couple hours of tuning to get there. That's a great tradeofff. My 1080ti are effectively under clocked and only drawing 150-165 watt instead of 255 watt stock. Less heat, less power, less stress - similar performance.

Last edited:
So do you make decent money mining? Thought the electric bill kills it?

So do you make decent money mining? Thought the electric bill kills it?
all depends on the coin value. Right now coins are up. So if you are paid ~ 5 thousands of a bitcoin for mining some alt coin and the bitcoin is worth 500 bucks it's probably not worth your electricity. But if the bitcoin is worth $2500, then the 5 thousands of a bitcoin will be worth more than your electricity.

Right now coins are up. Take a look at the historc charts. Will they stay there? nobody really knows...
http://www.coindesk.com/price/

Reactions: Angry
like this
Bestbuy has an Asus desktop tower pc that includes an i7 and a 1070 for $1100. Worth stripping it for parts considering what the 1070 goes for by itself.

It seems all the higher end, more efficient cards have spiked. I was eyeing the Zotac mini GTX1080, they were on sale a while back for $489, I was like "meh, I'll wait a month" and welp now they start at almost $600 on ebay (new) and spike to over $800.

Does this demand have a receding point? Like when will miners not want to buy efficient high-end cards that people who want to play games just happen to want too?

Got an email that a 1070 Aero Itx was in stock at B&H but two minutes later no stock! Someone is buying out the market!

I suspect if the mining markets hold the 1080ti will start going out of stock and selling for more. It mines twice as fast, nearly 3x as fast as the 470, 480, 580 cards and compared to the inflated prices for the AMD cards, (and now 1060 and1070) cards the 1080ti premium price isn't so off putting for prospective mining.

1080ti is significantly better at mining than 1080. So id expect the 1080 card value to not jump as much as 1070 or eventually 1080ti.

This all assuming neither AMD or Nvidia ramp up production on the current gen cards.

They're getting ready to drop mining specific cards, hopefully 1080ti prices drop I need a new gpu :(

They're getting ready to drop mining specific cards, hopefully 1080ti prices drop I need a new gpu
I can't see that being very popular. It will lighten the demand on the market for dedicated miners but not for everyday users. There are no video outputs on these cards, thus when minings done they are worthless. With typical cards yet u can still do something a thing them when the mining bubble pops.

The entire $200-$450 GPU market is totally gone right now. AMD or Nvidia. I want to build a PC so bad, but I cant. Nothing to put it in (1080 and 1080 ti prices are relatively unscathed, but I am not one to pay $500 on a GPU).

but they still have a lot of hours of stress on them, and therefore are undesirable versus your average used card.

And your average used card will not have every been stressed?

I have killed video cards from overclocking. Not from mining (which tends to work best undervolted and underclocked).

You really think that the "average card", which has likely been overclocked and overvolted, is in better shape than a typical mining card, which is underclocked and undervolted?

I have used 7950's from the litecoin days which I bought used and are happily mining ethash right now.

SO UNDESIRABLE

The entire $200-$450 GPU market is totally gone right now. AMD or Nvidia. I want to build a PC so bad, but I cant. Nothing to put it in (1080 and 1080 ti prices are relatively unscathed, but I am not one to pay $500 on a GPU).
meh it will pass just keep your eyes out and act quick... Aug 1st tho if you think this is nuts now... Big thing happening to btc on aug 1st coins will either fly to the moon or drop into the toilet...if they fly expect prices to get worse if they dump expect some farm downsizing...

Last edited:
hmm I'm really tempted to sell my Asus Dual-GTX1070-O8GB now that I really need some money to pay for school. How much do you think I can get for it? I see prices of this card has gone up $470+...

but they still have a lot of hours of stress on them, and therefore are undesirable versus your average used card.

No, there's more stress is the gaming usage pattern - lots of heating up and cooling down as it cycles between idle and high voltage/clocks. Mining is a steady state of low voltage and lower temperature. If I had a choice between a card that had been used for a year in a gaming system and probably overclocked, or a card that had been running cool and undervolted 24/7 mining, I'd take the mining card.

No, there's more stress is the gaming usage pattern - lots of heating up and cooling down as it cycles between idle and high voltage/clocks. Mining is a steady state of low voltage and lower temperature. If I had a choice between a card that had been used for a year in a gaming system and probably overclocked, or a card that had been running cool and undervolted 24/7 mining, I'd take the mining card.
I hear what you are saying, but you are assuming the people mining on them know what they are doing. A lot of people dabble in it, and just throw cards together and click mine. Voltages stock, fan curves default, crashing every day or two, etc etc. I would steer clear of mining cards and get the gamer's used card. Then again, i wouldnt buy it used from someone unless i know them or they are a good longtime member here.

As for the prices, its crazy out there, im part of the problem im afraid. Sold off my AMD stuff and went over to 1070's before right before they disappeared. Got a lot of them running, and a few 1080's and 1080 ti's. I have another 6 ti's on the way.
Use the calculators online to find out where your sweet spot is for power/hash/cost ratios. The ti's are pricey and eat power pretty good, but man can they hash!

hmm I'm really tempted to sell my Asus Dual-GTX1070-O8GB now that I really need some money to pay for school. How much do you think I can get for it? I see prices of this card has gone up $470+...

Most of the 1070s I've seen sold here have gone for $400-$450. Ebay you may be able to fetch another $25 or so; but you'll end up paying more than that in fees.

I will toss my hat into the ring with the people who would buy a mining card over a gaming card. Constant fluctuations in temperatures cause circuitry to fail over time. Overclocking through increasing the amount of power supplied to the card causes additional degradation over time. People overclocking until the point that their cards crash and then slimming back a notch don't realize that in the background their cards are tossing out millions of memory errors.

Mining does none of these things.

My hottest card is a MSI RX580G Gaming X 8GB and is running at 64C
My coolest card is a Sapphire RX570 Nitro+ 8GB and is running at 55C
Ambient temp is 81.

To answer the question about does mining make money - yes - it can. My cost to run 6 GPUs at .0966/KWH is around $1.68/day. With current Ethereum prices, I can make about $20/day, which will fluctuate and probably decrease over time. You can do the math.

I bought my Gigabyte 1070 ITX for $400 on Amazon back in September 2016 and it is now $650 on Amazon. I'd be all over a 1080 ti if they made an ITX version.

I will toss my hat into the ring with the people who would buy a mining card over a gaming card. Constant fluctuations in temperatures cause circuitry to fail over time. Overclocking through increasing the amount of power supplied to the card causes additional degradation over time. People overclocking until the point that their cards crash and then slimming back a notch don't realize that in the background their cards are tossing out millions of memory errors.

Mining does none of these things.

My hottest card is a MSI RX580G Gaming X 8GB and is running at 64C
My coolest card is a Sapphire RX570 Nitro+ 8GB and is running at 55C
Ambient temp is 81.

To answer the question about does mining make money - yes - it can. My cost to run 6 GPUs at .0966/KWH is around $1.68/day. With current Ethereum prices, I can make about $20/day, which will fluctuate and probably decrease over time. You can do the math.
Are you sure that is your total electric cost?

I Pay $0.062/kwh, but after "delivery costs", taxes, account fees, etc...it's just under $0.12/kwh

Are you sure that is your total electric cost?

I Pay $0.062/kwh, but after "delivery costs", taxes, account fees, etc...it's just under $0.12/kwh

Rate*
$8.00 / Month – Customer Charge per month
First 300 KWH per month$0.0966 / KWH
Next 700 KWH per month $0.0907 / KWH
Over 1,000 KWH per month $0.0831 / KWH
The minimum monthly charge shall be the customer charge.

After taxes is came to .1232 cents per KW hour for 1107 KW when I took a closer look at my bill. Still very good rate compared to other areas of the country.

I really don't understand what the issue is with used mining cards? As long as it comes with warranty and is in good shape. Electronics are meant to be used. If someone uses a card 24/7 for 6 months how is it bad. Was it not designed to be used? Yes I am mining, whats wrong with my cards if I sell them a year from now if I wanted to stop and sell them for good price. Less say gtx 1070 founders edition for less than 300, with another 2 years left on warranty? What exactly is wrong with that?

I hear what you are saying, but you are assuming the people mining on them know what they are doing. A lot of people dabble in it, and just throw cards together and click mine. Voltages stock, fan curves default, crashing every day or two, etc etc. I would steer clear of mining cards and get the gamer's used card. Then again, i wouldnt buy it used from someone unless i know them or they are a good longtime member here.

As for the prices, its crazy out there, im part of the problem im afraid. Sold off my AMD stuff and went over to 1070's before right before they disappeared. Got a lot of them running, and a few 1080's and 1080 ti's. I have another 6 ti's on the way.
Use the calculators online to find out where your sweet spot is for power/hash/cost ratios. The ti's are pricey and eat power pretty good, but man can they hash!

LOL I know what I am doing. Got my gtx 1070s using less then 100 watt each and my gtx 1060s using 60w each. Rock stable and running in the 70s. So yes my cards will be in top shape even when I decide to sell them. As I said to another poster here, what is exactly wrong when you still have another 2 years left in warranty.

LOL I know what I am doing. Got my gtx 1070s using less then 100 watt each and my gtx 1060s using 60w each. Rock stable and running in the 70s. So yes my cards will be in top shape even when I decide to sell them. As I said to another poster here, what is exactly wrong when you still have another 2 years left in warranty.

Im sure you do , and probably a few others, but I'll steer clear as I don't think most people take care of the cards...they mine on them , then they sell them.

Maybe they are fine, and maybe not.

Rate*
$8.00 / Month – Customer Charge per month
First 300 KWH per month$0.0966 / KWH
Next 700 KWH per month $0.0907 / KWH
Over 1,000 KWH per month $0.0831 / KWH
The minimum monthly charge shall be the customer charge.

After taxes is came to .1232 cents per KW hour for 1107 KW when I took a closer look at my bill. Still very good rate compared to other areas of the country.
I think you mean $0.1232..

I rechecked mine & the "per kwh" charges come to $0.103757 but there are $15 in fixed costs as well :mad:

Back