whats up with windows update

dario1977

n00b
today somthing happened that angers me.
i went to windowes update site to download a patch and was told that now i need to validate my copy of xp.whats the point of wpa then?anyway when i tried to validate i was told that some of my hardware had changed and that it may cause some prombles latter on.all i have done to this system is changed the memory from 256mb to 512mb,and added a video card big deal.does this mean that you can never change anything.i really think this is getting stupid :mad:

You did better than I did. It said MS was having server problems try agin. :p

Keep a text file on your desktop with the number it generates so you only have to paste it and not go through that crap every time. It is very annoying....

dario1977 said:
i went to windowes update site to download a patch and was told that now i need to validate my copy of xp.whats the point of wpa then?anyway when i tried to validate i was told that some of my hardware had changed and that it may cause some prombles latter on.all i have done to this system is changed the memory from 256mb to 512mb,and added a video card big deal.does this mean that you can never change anything.i really think this is getting stupid :mad:

Welcome to last week. Its amazing how people can get mad with something that actually caused them no problem, So far I havent heard of 1 person with a legal copy getting stopped, You received that message because of 2 reasons, you bought your system from a Major system builder ( dell gateway + others) or your using an illegal copy of the os on a non- major systems... either way the message was 100% correct wasnt it, you'd changed from the original hardware.

the system is a alienware i just dont see why i cant upgrade it with out somthing like this.
the os came with it so i did nothing wroung.

hulksterjoe said:
Welcome to last week. Its amazing how people can get mad with something that actually caused them no problem, So far I havent heard of 1 person with a legal copy getting stopped, You received that message because of 2 reasons, you bought your system from a Major system builder ( dell gateway + others) or your using an illegal copy of the os on a non- major systems... either way the message was 100% correct wasnt it, you'd changed from the original hardware.

Really sucks for us corporate users, we can't use windows update anymore. 4000+ dell systems and it doesn't like any of them. And the company has a VLK to boot.

I hope Microsoft fixes something soon.

QM

quasimodem said:
Really sucks for us corporate users, we can't use windows update anymore. 4000+ dell systems and it doesn't like any of them. And the company has a VLK to boot.

QM

How come you cant? You dont have SUS setup in a 4000 user enviroment? Your using the image that came from Dell, not your own?

jonw757 said:
How come you cant? You dont have SUS setup in a 4000 user enviroment? Your using the image that came from Dell, not your own?

They are using Volume Licensed Media, they can roll their own image of the software. But it seems that WGA doesn't like their key and thinks its pirated thus causing them problems.

I have to wonder just how WGA works in tandem with a large business who has SUS or WUS deployed.

SJConsultant said:
They are using Volume Licensed Media, they can roll their own image of the software. But it seems that WGA doesn't like their key and thinks its pirated thus causing them problems.

I have to wonder just how WGA works in tandem with a large business who has SUS or WUS deployed.
I'm checking into that now at work. We have SUS setup, waiting on an e-mail from the guy running it.

We're in the middle of a major upgrade, moving from NT4 to 2003AD so no, we don't have SUS, or anything else running. we're still working with 23 domains and half don't trust the others...

it's a major cluster phuk here, but i guess thats why I'm working.

But all system updates are being done as we touch the machines, and it's causing major headaches since we're using a VLK. In my humble opinion, Microsoft has put the VLK's on the blocked list to be a pain (however small of a pain since I've seen a "crack" online already for this) in the side of people who really don't know any better. I don't think they're going after the major pirates with this move, but more likely the consumer who paid $100 for a VLK installation without knowing it was illegal.

Just a thought

QM

Anyone find a way around not even installing WGA in SP1a and still getting the updates? I do have a legal copy of XPSP1a, but I think this WGA crap is BS. :mad:

There's a workaround using a script for a program called Trixie. This program works like Greasemonkey for Firefox. Download the program and find the script on google and you're good to go.

quasimodem said:

QM
thats odd, its just fine with my VLK on all my computers...

it isn't working with the VLK at my parent's company, hopefully they get it fixed asap

aetius said:
There's a workaround using a script for a program called Trixie. This program works like Greasemonkey for Firefox. Download the program and find the script on google and you're good to go.

These guys seem to say it doesn't work right.
http://digg.com/software/Circumventing_Windows_Genuine_Advantage_(WGA)

I had this message when I put in new memory to test and reformatted my HD. I think, I may be wrong but if you make changes to your computer within 120 days windows will think you have a new computer. You will get this if you make multiple changes, such as new ram and video card. I had to call some Indian lady and get a number to enter in so I could validate my windows. She asked me some questions about my system and then gave me a number. I only wish I wrote it down though.

SkaarjMaster said:
Anyone find a way around not even installing WGA in SP1a and still getting the updates? I do have a legal copy of XPSP1a, but I think this WGA crap is BS. :mad:

someone needs to explain this to me.. WHY are you still running sp1a.. its been 1 year since sp2 came out..

Obviously you're not older and wiser or you'd answer my question instead of making a smart a$$ remark about me still running SP1a. The first person that convinces me that there are no more bugs in SP2 and that all my present programs and games will run fine with an online upgrade, then I'll do it. Until then, I'll wait for SP2a or even SP2b that fixed all the bugs in SP2. I'm also sick and tired of people asking me why I don't have this and that installed instead of just answering my question on all these forums, especially the way you did it. Also, you have to be kidding if you think my system is running in a compromised mode........don't even go there. :mad:

What the hell is with all the new kids on the board starting bullshit and calling those who don't put up with their shit immature or some other crap?

Dude, SP2 has no more bugs and your games will run fine. The only "bugs" you are thinking of are firewall issues, and if you have your own firewall and turn the Windows one off then no worries. Now stop swinging at the dead horse. Chances are that will solve your updating problems as well.

I really have no idea what you're talking about with that first sentence, but I'll stick with SP1a for now. Once again, my question was related to SP1a and not to try and convince me to switch to SP2. Nothing's broke on my system, so I'm not fixing it.

Nothing is broke except your ability to update. Installing SP2 will fix that for you. Is that simple enough?

Whether you choose to follow the advice given is up to you, but a solution has been provided.

SkaarjMaster said:
I really have no idea what you're talking about with that first sentence, but I'll stick with SP1a for now. Once again, my question was related to SP1a and not to try and convince me to switch to SP2. Nothing's broke on my system, so I'm not fixing it.

So your gonna stick with the assumption that when/if they come out with sp2A that it'll fix all of your problems. well I hate to be the one to tell you that-- if they ever do, then you can be assured that 2a will cause its own set of problems.

it wasnt a smart ass remark.. your response was..it was a serious question about why you would make a decision to run your system with multiple vulnerabilities and at the same time had the audacity to complain. and if nothing on your system is broken then why do you care about getting around WGA, since you have no need for anything from there.

Volume users (and others) can just disable the validation in IE. Bam, no more validation. Silly microsoft, windows is for kids.

hulksterjoe said:

You completely missed the point....

millhouse said:
You completely missed the point....

Really, lets review.. at this point in the thread, my post was in response to this.

dario1977 said:

Does it not say he's angry? Does it not say that he changed some hardware?

So my reponse was why is he getting angry over something that 1) caused no problem. 2) was caused because he did change something.. what point was their to miss..Microsoft didnt force him change his card/memory and they didnt stop his system from working correctly, They merely stated that its possible that the changes he made COULD cause problems down the road, and its possbile they may or may not.
He didnt mention that fact that he might not like microsoft doing this because he feels its a personal intrusion, which would have resulted in a different response from me

Quit being a$$holes and answer my question. If you can't, then just forget it!!! I wanted to know how to get around the problem while continuing to use SP1a and not activating automatic updates in any form. Obviously, no one at this forum has found the solution, but let me know when someone does. Once again, I would like to continue to use Windows Updates without WGA and with SP1a and without automatic updates. If know one knows of a solution with these conditions, then just STFU :mad:

SkaarjMaster said:
Once again, I would like to continue to use Windows Updates without WGA and with SP1a and without automatic updates. If know one knows of a solution with these conditions, then just STFU :mad:

Security updates are exempt from WQA, so you can still retrieve them. From the WGA FAQ on MS's website:

Q: Do security updates require validation?

A: Security updates are not part of WGA. Security updates can be installed using the Windows XP Automatic Updates feature, or downloaded from the Download Center.

Otherwise if you want the other updates, and downloads you will probably need to download them from a 3rd party site.

Once again, not to sound like a broken record but "without automatic updates". Maybe I just need to start another thread on the subject with specific conditions for a solution at the beginning because continuing this thread is obviously not working. Can anyone here read at all? :(

SkaarjMaster said:
Once again, not to sound like a broken record but "without automatic updates". Maybe I just need to start another thread on the subject with specific conditions for a solution at the beginning because continuing this thread is obviously not working. Can anyone here read at all? :(

Yes we can read.... Apparently because your so bent out of shape, your reading comprehension has dropped to the same level as your attitude.

So I will again repost with the appropriate portions placed in bold so that even you can read it. :p

Security updates are exempt from WGA, so you can still retrieve them. From the WGA FAQ on MS's website:

Q: Do security updates require validation?

A: Security updates are not part of WGA. Security updates can be installed using the Windows XP Automatic Updates feature, or downloaded from the Download Center.

Otherwise if you want the other non-security related updates and downloads, you will probably need to download them from a 3rd party site.

If you can't comprehend the above bolded statements as your solution, then there is no helping you here. :rolleyes:

"Apparently because your so bent out of shape, your reading comprehension has dropped to the same level as your attitude."

OK, so I missed something, but I wouldn't say I have a bad attitude.........others maybe (not you) but others.

"downloaded from the Download Center"

Apparently, this is what I missed. Thank you SJConsultant and I apologize to you only. This could be a good temporary solution while I wait for more. Once again, thank you. :)

SkaarjMaster said:
Anyone find a way around not even installing WGA in SP1a and still getting the updates?
There is a way to completely disable it once it has been installed, only problem is you need the futures provided in SP2 to do so. What’s really funny is that Microsoft built in a way to turn it off without even knowing it :p

Open Internet Explorer > Tools Menu > Internet Options > Programs Tab > Manage Add-ons...

From the "Manage Add-ons" window, scroll down to the "Windows Genuine Advantage" entry , select it, and click "Disable".

Click OK and restart IE, Windows Update should be working well now :D

NOTE: ONLY USE THE "CUSTOM" OPTION ON THE WINDOWS UPDATE SITE!

You can just disable the WGA add-on and continue using Windows Update. It does say a "add-on is disable, click here to turn it on" or something along those lines but you can still get the updates.

jamezzz122 said:
You can just disable the WGA add-on and continue using Windows Update. It does say a "add-on is disable, click here to turn it on" or something along those lines but you can still get the updates.
I just posted instructions on how to do just that 4 posts up (Post #33)

Unknown-One said:
I just posted instructions on how to do just that 4 posts up (Post #33)

Didn't read the whole thread :p . My bad.

BTW, Any reason why we should only use the custom option?

jamezzz122 said:
BTW, Any reason why we should only use the custom option?
This appears to break the downloading from the Express page (Custom works just fine though).
That, and the fact that "Custom" shows all available updates, "Express" only shows High Priority updates.

Unknown-One said:
There is a way to completely disable it once it has been installed, only problem is you need the futures provided in SP2 to do so. What’s really funny is that Microsoft built in a way to turn it off without even knowing it :p

Open Internet Explorer > Tools Menu > Internet Options > Programs Tab > Manage Add-ons...

From the "Manage Add-ons" window, scroll down to the "Windows Genuine Advantage" entry , select it, and click "Disable".

Click OK and restart IE, Windows Update should be working well now :D

NOTE: ONLY USE THE "CUSTOM" OPTION ON THE WINDOWS UPDATE SITE!

I did not see the "windows Genuine Advantage" in the list when trying this. My bussiness is also VLK and unable to do the update site. Any other things its called or suggestions...thanks

Back