What's up with my PS3?

Oscar Meyer

Limp Gawd
With the slowdown in PC releases lately, I'd thought I'd dabble again into console gaming.
Went out and bought a PS3. I currently have my PC hooked up to a 24inch Asus monitor, native at 1080. It also has an hdmi plug too, so I hooked my PS3 up to the same monitor. Went out and rented a bunch of games in the last month, and I keep noticing that at least 90% of the games look blurry. I can understand the Aliasing issues, but is the blurriness normal?

Games that are natively 720p output to 720p on my monitor, and games that are 1080p output to 1080p. So this is not an upscale issue. For example, Red Dead Redemption looks like utter crap. Thought I was playing the PS2. Uncharted 2 looks ok but its still slightly blurry. THe only games that looked "crisp" were GOW3 and FinalFantasy13. Almost everything else from the new Vanquish to Killzone 2 looks like it has this "haze" masked over the scene. PS3 menus look good, and video looks good, but what's up with the games???

I'm not here to start a flame war, I'm really asking the folks that game on both PC and PS3, is this normal? Is there some setting I am missing? Or am I too jaded from playing PC games for the last 10 years? I mean alot of the PS3 games are fun, but the graphics just get distracting sometimes. Or maybe cause I'm playing it on a monitor, I'm perhaps sitting too close?

Last edited:
The PS3 barely renders FPS games at native 720p, 1080p labeled games are actually upscaled by the PS3 internally.
Add the fact that you are using a computer monitor and being up close to it, you will definitely see all the jaggies.

I enjoy my PS3 on a 55" LEDTV from at least 6' away... not great, but not bad either.

PS3 scaler is not really that good compared to the 360 one and as menioned above, the PS3 (and 360 for that matter) have most graphics intensive games at SUB 720p. if your TV can scale it might be a better choice if it has a good scaler chip.....

Not sure about the PS3 (mines always been hooked up to my 46" Sony XBR), but my 360 is hooked up to my 25.5" Asus 1920x1200 monitor and all the games on it look great even when stretched to full screen.

I'd say try another TV/monitor and see how it looks there because I've never experienced this with my PS3 even though I've never used it on my monitor.

If this is your first time console gaming in near 10 years then you're in for some shellshock big time. GoW3, FF13 and MGS4 are probably the 3 "crispest" games, most others (on 360 as well) kind of have that hazy/blurry thing going on.

Don't even think about trying BF:BC2 on a console after playing it on PC, heaaaave.

OP, it's probably just the quality of the display. I noticed the same exact effect on my Wii, my 360 and my PS3 when it was hooked up to the monitor in my bedroom... but on my living room TV (and friends/familes TV's) the picture was always very sharp (didn't matter if it was 480p, 720p or 1080p). I chalked it up to the display in my room being a lower quality (or the interal filters weren't as good at least)

OP, it's probably just the quality of the display. I noticed the same exact effect on my Wii, my 360 and my PS3 when it was hooked up to the monitor in my bedroom... but on my living room TV (and friends/familes TV's) the picture was always very sharp (didn't matter if it was 480p, 720p or 1080p). I chalked it up to the display in my room being a lower quality (or the interal filters weren't as good at least)

I really dont think its the quality of the display, It's this monitor here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049&cm_re=asus_24-_-24-236-049-_-Product

Besides, Full motion CG such as FF13 look amazing. But when get to the actual playing, is blurry. Maybe pigwalk above is right, I'm just expecting too much. I was playing with the Dolphin Wii emulator a few months back and mario looked awesome on this monitor, crisp and clear. I thought PS3 would be even better. If anyone has played Eternal Legacy on iphone 4, that was the crispness I was expecting (even at 10 inches from screen) from the PS3. But graphics aside, alot of games are still pretty fun like Metal Gear 4. Just have to mentally block out all the fuzzy stuff.

Last edited:
A 1080p monitor is going to have much smaller dot pitch than a TV. You're going to notice things that you're not supposed to see on a TV. The PS3 is powerful, but not that powerful. Stick to the TV and PC on the monitior.

Yeah the scaling (or lack of) in the PS3 is pretty bad. It just doesn't look good hooked up to a monitor. Have mine hooked up to a 46" LCD TV tho and it looks great. I don't really get it, you'd think a much bigger display would amplify the fucked-up-ness of the image, but it actually looks a lot better. :confused:

I wanted to do the same thing PC & PS3 on 1 screen. I went with 27" LG TV with HD tuner/LCD Monitor.
I've been really happy with both for PC Gaming, TV/Netflix watching, and PS3 games.

(it's my 2nd) PC to the SUB-D (Audio Analog)
PS3 to HDMI (Audio Digital)
Both sharing Audio to a Sony PS3 Sound Bar

http://www.amazon.com/LG-M2762D-27-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290353023&sr=8-1

LG-Monitor-TV.jpg

Tricky-PS3-Move.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah the scaling (or lack of) in the PS3 is pretty bad. It just doesn't look good hooked up to a monitor. Have mine hooked up to a 46" LCD TV tho and it looks great. I don't really get it, you'd think a much bigger display would amplify the fucked-up-ness of the image, but it actually looks a lot better. :confused:

It is probably the TV's scaler that helps the image look decent. I have an Olevia 26" 1366x768 TV and the 1080i looks interlaced where as my Samsung 50" with the same resolution outputs a decent 1080p image (yes, the native resolution is lower than the supported output resolution).

Nice setup. How do you like the PS3 Move?

I love Move! I'm a huge FPS PC person. I can't do FPS on console controllers I just can't get beyond Keyboard & Mouse. So I jumped when Move came out I really like Move FPS Games.

I own these: The Shoot, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011, MAG, Resident Evil, Time Crisis & Modern Combat Domination. This weekend been playing KillZone 3 Open Multiplayer Beta (Move)

TrickyRoom.jpg

Now that is a command center!

OP- I have a HannsG 28" hooked up to my PC and PS3. 1920x1200 and 1080 respectively. I expected lesser quality for console gaming (jaggies are inevitable) but most games I play still look sharp even 3-4 feet away.

Games that are natively 720p output to 720p on my monitor, and games that are 1080p output to 1080p. So this is not an upscale issue.
are you saying that you are using 1:1 pixel mapping, so that a 720p game signal is not using the whole screen?

If your games are filling the whole screen, then it is definitely a scaling issue. PC monitors have very basic scaling and usually no image processing features. On top of that, that monitor likely has a cheap panel in it with poor contrast and color response. At non-native resolutions with no processing to help keep things looking ok, yeah you are going to get a crappy image. On a PC, the videocard usually takes care of this stuff, since the monitors don't.

medium to high end HDTVs have good panels in them and usually employ quality image processing and advanced scaling methods to keep things looking as good as possible.

My 720p TV was Panasonic's top of the line LCD in 2008 and cost me about $1,000. The pixel count is close to native 720 (TVs are actually a little higher, at 1366x720), its got an awesome Alpha-IPS panel in it and it had some really nice image processing. PS3 games look awesome on it. Really sharp, natural color response, pretty good contrast and black levels.

my 1080p plasma is LG's top of the line from 2010. its 1080p, so my games don't look quite as sharp as on my LCD, but the scaling and image processing is really good and this panel is known for bonestock accurate color (after calibration). So I lose a little sharpness on it due to upscaling, but the colors are awesome and the contrast and black levels are even better on the plasma than my LCD and the shadow detailing is amazing.

before both of those, I used my PS3 for a little while on a 22-inch gateway monitor with a Tn panel in it and a bunch of TV hookups. It looked like shit. The contrast and black levels were really bad, so dark scenes were kind of cloudy and grayish all the time. Shadow deatail was HORRIBLE. The color response was really innacurate. I could never get a true looking red out of it. the scaling options were sad, some games it couldn't even keep a 16:9 aspect ratio, but would instead stretch them to fill 16:10.

Back