Whats up with Glossy Screens??

maverick786us

2[H]4U
Has dell stopped producing LCDs with glossy screen. I've been using matte displays for more than a decade untill I purchased Dell SP2208WFP. I found it great more saturated colours, deeper blacks, brighter whites, and are sharper than traditional matte displays.

I found these types of displays more appropriate for viewing photographs, watching films, or even just general computer usage such as web browsing and above all else GAMING

Now I am looking for a big brother of 2208 (24-27 inch) for my other PC upgrade, I don't see any the Dell's website. I've even heard that dell has stop producing Dell SP2208WFP 6 months back and replaced it with 2209 having matte display.

So whats up with DELL these days? Yeah the only drawback I found with these wonderful glossy displays is that they tend to exaggerate colors and shade, to the point in which they over-saturate and have poorer grayscale accuracy.

But that does'nt mean that it should be out of production?

I prefer the glossy type display also. I just bought a HP w2558HC glossy monitor because I cannot find any larger displays with glossy screens. Althought this is a TN type panel Im finding that the PQ is pretty good. Also I got it for around $350.

Glossy screens are nice, but their most common use is a way to enhance the limited gamut and failings of a TN panel screen. Don't get me wrong, I love my HP w2408H glossy, but I know why the coating is there.

Don't pass up great non-TN panels like the Dell 2408WFP and 2209WA just because they use a traditional matte finish. Color accuracy and screen uniformity can easily make up for the poppy colors. S-PVA panels especially, their matrix tends to produce saturated and vibrant colors. High contrast ratios in non-TN panels also produce this pleasing effect. Viewing angle can play a role as well.

I think the problem for me with the matte type display is when they use too much anti-glare coating as in the Dell 3007WFP-HC monitor.
My Planar PX2611 seems to have a lighter anti-glare coat which is much more pleasing to the eye.

I guessing from what I have read on these forums that most people prefer the matte type display. There are a lot of complaints about the glare which I dont think is that bad.
I have a 50" Pioneer in my bedroom too with a glossy screen and it looks just fine and I figure there must be a reason that Pioneer used the glossy screen:D

I am a slight obsessive compulsive when it comes to certain things. I can't stand looking at a bunch of reflections on my screen. My PC is next to a window and at certain times during the summer the sun comes right through my windo onto my monitor screen. Also, I just don't like that fake sterile look of a glossy screen. Maybe I'm just too used to matte finishes but I will probably have one for the rest of my life.

I like the glossy for it's clean whites and great text clarity. Luckily I am impervious to the annoyances of reflections. I also like how it appears to greatly improve contrast even though it's actually a very small improvement.

Glossy HDTV and monitor.
Nothing wrong with these, great picture.

I am a slight obsessive compulsive when it comes to certain things. I can't stand looking at a bunch of reflections on my screen. My PC is next to a window and at certain times during the summer the sun comes right through my windo onto my monitor screen. Also, I just don't like that fake sterile look of a glossy screen. Maybe I'm just too used to matte finishes but I will probably have one for the rest of my life.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My CRTs have hardly any glare or such, yet the far more glossy screen of my laptop is Glare Central or something. Heck, when the screen displays things which are a bit dark it makes for an excellent mirror. And this isn't even a fully glossy screen.

Perhaps glossy screens are meant to be used in near-darkness?

Glossy monitors are meant to be used in stores so people can "wow" at them and buy them. Matte displays are meant for everything else ;)

Glossy monitors seems to have lost their popularity. This of course makes it hard for people like OP that wants to upgrade to a dual-setup.
You might have a look at the NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3, although it's quite expensive and only "half-glossy" whatever that means in real life. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_24wmgx3.htm

Although you could always ditch the current monitor and buy two matte instead ;)

Although you could always ditch the current monitor and buy two matte instead ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will think about it. I am not in a hurry. My current 22inch display is perfect for. Apart from glossy screen, there are other things its magic bright, has got 2 MP webcam onboard and 2 USB ports. Yes I will upgrade my old setup when the price of Core I7 goes down and 30 inch displays become reasonable in terms of cost.

My preference will be good display, whether its glossy or matt. Hope by that time the problem of backlight is completely eliminated from displays produced by DELL

Last edited:
I dunno my Pioneer 50" Glossy looks pretty good even with a window in front of it.

My point is that it depends on which glossy or matte screen you get. I have had some glossy type displays that had a crappy panel to start with and there was no way to adjust the color and it just looked terrible no matter what you did. I have also gotten some of the glossy panels that do have a descent panel and can be adjusted to look pretty nice.

The problem with the matte is that sometimes they go overboard on the anti-glare coating which distorts things expecially text. Also with a video you can sometimes see the picture moving behind the anti-glare coating. I noticed in that LCD screen ratings they would list the matte screens as soft anti-glare, anti-glare and hard anti-glare.
Im guessing the best screen would be the one with the soft anti-glare coating.

I vote gloss screens - matte screen lovers are just in denial ;)

I had so many screens side by side and gloss screens always were my favorite. And I say that even though i'm using a matte. Hey, I'm not afraid to point out a major flaw in my beloved PC screen. :p

I had two gateway FHD2400's, they were glossy, now I have the LG L227WTF-PF which I freaking love, it also has a glossy screen. I really prefer glossy over matte.

I don't really care too much, but I like my matte screen. Maybe I'd change my mind if someone made a glossy 30". That would be kickass, unless they gave it a TN panel. I'm crying just thinking about the color shift on that screen.

I love the glossy screen,it makes the screen pop with color ,but the glare is ruff in the day ime.

I'd love a glossy screen if my work environment wasn't so chalk full of ambient light sources. Windows, overhead lights, desk lamps. There's always something. Without my matte screen, I'd constantly be contending with nasty reflections.

That said, my 50" plasma is gloss. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Has dell stopped producing LCDs with glossy screen. I've been using matte displays for more than a decade untill I purchased Dell SP2208WFP. I found it great more saturated colours, deeper blacks, brighter whites, and are sharper than traditional matte displays.

I found these types of displays more appropriate for viewing photographs, watching films, or even just general computer usage such as web browsing and above all else GAMING

Now I am looking for a big brother of 2208 (24-27 inch) for my other PC upgrade, I don't see any the Dell's website. I've even heard that dell has stop producing Dell SP2208WFP 6 months back and replaced it with 2209 having matte display.

So whats up with DELL these days? Yeah the only drawback I found with these wonderful glossy displays is that they tend to exaggerate colors and shade, to the point in which they over-saturate and have poorer grayscale accuracy.

But that does'nt mean that it should be out of production?
Glossy Screens:
+ Images have more pop
- Reduced colour accuracy
+ Images look "clearer"
- Reduced viewing angles
- Reflections
- Fingerprints
- Dust magnets

They have their ups and downs. I could never use a glossy screen on a TN panel though.

Glossy Screens:
+ Images have more pop
- Reduced colour accuracy
+ Images look "clearer"
- Reduced viewing angles
- Reflections
- Fingerprints
- Dust magnets

They have their ups and downs. I could never use a glossy screen on a TN panel though.

Some of the TN panels are not as bad as they used to be these days.
Dell Studio 17 with RGB LED glossy screen as an example which is a TN panel. Also HP w2558hc glossy display with TN panel has a very nice picture next to my Planar PX2611 IPS matte display.

Agreed, I just bought a Dell S2209Wb really cheap and its pretty dang good.
Comparing it to my Plasma, colours arent quite as nice, namely some reds are slightly orangey.
White has a slight green tint to it as well (after setting colour temp to best looking) but if I didnt have the Plasma next to it I wouldnt know either of those issues.
Viewing angles are only crap when not in front of it but thats easy to keep in check.
Lag is non existent and clarity is excellent, extremely easy to read, games and movies have tons of detail.
What is strange is that it seems much wider than my plasma (for the size) and both are 1080p.
I'm very happy with this TN based LCD and it is replacing a Iiyama 22" CRT !

another +1 for glossy

I have one on my netbook and sometimes find it annoying since I use it outdoors and such... but for inside the house, I'd give up my matte screen displays for glossy in a heart beat

If the Apple LED 24" was an A-TW panel (and PC compatible) I would have bought two and sold my current ones in a hearbeat. I've got no beef with matte though, I just prefer glossy.

I LOVE glosssy screens. A new generation e-IPS panel with glossy coating would be a wet dream come true!!

1) http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8595/comparisionh.th.jpg

2) http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/987/mattvsglossy.th.jpg

comparisionh.th.jpg
mattvsglossy.th.jpg

Here is the comparision between traditional matt and glossy display.:D

Back