What's up with Dead Rising?

BoyBlunder

[H]ard|Gawd
recently I got Dead Rising for my 360, previously used. after playing through it for a couple of days, it's really not all that great. I mean, the graphics are awesome, but the friggin game is so repetitive. plus, they give you all these missions with ridiculous completion times all while you have 6 other things to do!

did anyone else find this as well? why was there such a big deal about this game?

I totally agree. That game was BORING and the save system was broken. It was horrible. Graphiocs were ok and the amount of things going on at once were nice but just didnt care for it at all. Alot of people really enjoyed this game. To each his own. :D

I was really excited about this game but the save system totally put me off. Stupid really.

yea, I'll find myself ebaying this POS soon. saves were another issue that wicked pissed me off.

About having too much to do at once- you're not expected to complete it the first time straight through, nor is it possible to do everything it asks you to. Its designed so that you restart the story a couple times and get progressively stronger.

Give it a while longer. I found that the game grew on me once I got past the second boss or so.

I played it at my friends house a bunch of times and it just didn't do anything for me. I thought the repetition of it all was pretty lame.

We laughed at the voice used to announce your photographic skills though. Goooooddd.....

seemed very similar to the cartoony PS2 game (state of emergency?) to me...

I tried the demo and that was enough for me to realize that the game would suck. It's just beating up the same zombies over and over and over... similar to Ninety Nine Nights but perhaps a bit more strategic and slower.

I don't see how the game got such good reviews (in the neighborhood of 8/10), to me it's a 5-6 at best. Maybe a lot of people still enjoy games that are completely mindless and require you to slay endless waves of retards but I personally don't.

i think most people would agree that the game is fun but the save system sucks. the save system sucking is worth minus 2 points on a 10 scale...so an 8 out of ten is fair.

if you can't handle the unforgiving nature of the save system, then maybe its worth only a rental.

another thing....DO NOT play this game if you dont have an HDTV. It is unplayable. You cant even read wrinting on the screen.

Of course this game is going to be boring to many people. It is single-minded fun, solely created for zombie fans wishing to experience Dawn of the Dead. A vast assortment of weapons to maim an innumerable amount of zombies, take pictures of, and laugh about when you're drunk. I have had a blast with the game, but I can see why people would be turned off by it(being it's a glorified version of State of Emergency), which is why I did not recommend it to a friend of mine. It was worth $50 to me though.

KingSmoth said:
Of course this game is going to be boring to many people. It is single-minded fun, solely created for zombie fans wishing to experience Dawn of the Dead. A vast assortment of weapons to maim an innumerable amount of zombies, take pictures of, and laugh about when you're drunk. I have had a blast with the game, but I can see why people would be turned off by it(being it's a glorified version of State of Emergency), which is why I did not recommend it to a friend of mine. It was worth $50 to me though.

Exactly! You need to take the game for what it is, screw around and have fun. If you sit there trying to "beat" the game you aren't going to have fun. Simply because the game puts so much pressure on you to do this and do that. If you simply treat it as one big sandbox and try to just have fun with it, then it is a pretty fun game.

Sure it is shallow, but it has tons of laughs in it, and a good bit of replay value. In fact it probably has more game time in it, for those that like to just screw around with zombies, then many linear story driven games. It is a solid game, with a few flaws (save system). It isn't the greatest game ever but it is still a lot of fun.

I got this game for $25 used from some game store. I bought it due to all the reviews and I started it up for the first time last night.Initially, I thought "Wow, what a cool game. I have no idea what people are talking about... the save system is fine to me."...

... Fast forward 1.5 hours later. "Damn it! This damn clown keeps killing me! I'll just reload here and... wait... I have to walk all the way over here AGAIN!?! Screw this!" :mad:

Yeah, I finally get what you people were saying about the save system. It's still a pretty cool game though... for $25. $60? Umm.. no.

Save system annoyed me to but when i died on a boss i wanted to do better and better so i didnt have to reload/walk all the way over. The save system makes the game a challenge. Its a fun game. Dawn of the Dead fans will love it. and i loved that movie so i loved this game :)

I was thinking about getting a 360 for this game alone. I love all zombie stuff. I think I would enjoy some mindless zombie killing. Any chance of them porting it to the PC or Wii?

Devnull said:
I was thinking about getting a 360 for this game alone. I love all zombie stuff. I think I would enjoy some mindless zombie killing. Any chance of them porting it to the PC or Wii?

honestly i dont think the Wii could handle this game memory/video wise not unless they really striped it down.. But i think microsoft has this exclusive from Capcom.

Dion said:
honestly i dont think the Wii could handle this game memory/video wise not unless they really striped it down.. But i think microsoft has this exclusive from Capcom.
From what i seen and played i think it could. Since no one knows the full potential of the wii or the ps3 yet, we wouldn't really know until some more games came out. :)

I had a lot of fun with this one. I found that I liked the concurrent progression and single save. It made me scramble to get things done, giving a sense of urgency which made things more interesting. I can see how it can be frustrating though, normally an anal retentive player who needs to see every little detail in a game.

But after getting some advice it became easy to enjoy this game. Just understand that you're not supposed to be able to get everything on the first play through. You're very weak at the start and you don't know where all the nice items are, the shortcuts, etc. You do a little better each time, from knowing the mall, and having levels carrying over, this allows you do play through and get some more sidequests done, so each playthrough gets done fast enough that you see more and more. Due to some xbox360 returns I had to start fresh twice from level 1. But now that I know the best approaches, I can get all the side quests done as I make my way through the main storyline since I already discovered some of the conveniences(like using Quickstep instead of just walking to my destinations).

I still haven't played it really.
My brother in law has it and I watched him play for 5 minutes once.
I thought it looked really fun but of course I saw the reviews that knocked the save system.
It's got to be more fun than state of emergency. :)

Rented and played it for a few weeks from Gamefly, it really does grow on you once you figure out how the game is designed. You're not expected to save everyone and the time limits actually add to the frenzy as you're rushing to close that case while wading thru a bazillion zombies. The continuous progression is cool too (your guy's level continues if you restart the game), I spent the first 2 restarts trying out goofy costumes :p

Back