Whats up with AMD Video Card Prices?

ibex333

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, I know mining is supposedly awesome, but is it awesome enough to pay $350 for an RX480 used?

The gaming performance of this card is significantly worse than a GTX 1070 which can be had for less used.

I tried mining about a year or two ago, and I hardly made like less than a buck in the whole month. I was doing it properly, with a good video card for the time.

Seems like a waste of time and money to me...

Just how much money are people making these days with just ONE RX480 for example? Realistically?

Ignoring electricity costs like $50-60 a month, though a GTX 1070 will get you the same.

I do not pay for electricity in my building, but enduring a computer running 24/7 in my apartment for $50-60... I don't know... Maybe it's worth it, maybe not so much.

Still, why in the hell some people think they can charge $350 for the RX 480? That's just beyond me.The card simply isn't worth this sort of money when you consider the GTX 1070. No way, no how. No one in their right mind should pay over $250-270 for that card. A 1070 can be had for $300-320 used.

Still, why in the hell some people think they can charge $350 for the RX 480? That's just beyond me.The card simply isn't worth this sort of money when you consider the GTX 1070. No way, no how. No one in their right mind should pay over $250-270 for that card. A 1070 can be had for $300-320 used.

The market dictates the price, why sell something for $250 when you can get $350 for it? Also, please tell me about these 1070's for $300 I'd like to buy one.

I do not pay for electricity in my building, but enduring a computer running 24/7 in my apartment for $50-60... I don't know... Maybe it's worth it, maybe not so much.

If people are willing to pay for it, why wouldn't they sell it for that much? If you had a RX480 you were willing to part ways with, would you sell it for $180 when you know you can get $300? I highly doubt it.

I dont know where you are seeing 1070s for that price but sign me up for 3!

I dont know where you are seeing 1070s for that price but sign me up for 3!
I'll take eight

Just bought a TB250 btc-pro motherboard with room for 12 cards connected via pci-e X1

Yeah 50 bucks a month might not be worth your time for a single rx480. But what bout running six or 12 of them? Could you use an extra $300 or $600 a month? What about if the value of the coin you are mining goes up -- and in six months the $300 you mined in now worth $2000 in that coin!

Last edited:
Cause that $350 (including used 1070, I shelled out $365) can pay for itself in five or six months.
Stores will only sell one or two per unsuspicious visitor. The rest have to come from elsewhere...

Not to worry you excessively, it all comes to a screeching halt when you get evicted for setting the
wires in the wall on fire, or frying the air conditioner. There is a practical limit at about a dozen cards.
Profitable, but definately not enough to pay the rent and quit your day job.

All the same, I don't think we should be supporting meth fueled card scalpers that empty every store
in town. Inbreds, carnies, and the homeless in tow, with no intention but to mark up a price and make
timely DOA returns impossible.

Toothless might be OK, but when they don't even have gums anymore, thats a serious problem...

Last edited:
a year or two ago BTC prices were low compared to now. Mining BTC with a card is fruitless for sure. I've been out of the game a while but the only money in video cards was mining altcoins and then selling the altcoins for BTC, and likely very much still going on. The game was to create a new altcoin every week were difficulty is extremely low, mine a crap load of coins, pump them and dump them. That's how profits were made with video cards.

I had 10 cards this year mining, making a couple hundred a month after electric -- plus the free heat in a cold house. I went to newegg one morning to buy more RX480s and saw them out of stock. checked used prices on ebay and sold every one of them. Super nice, when i paid $169 brand new for most of them... October i will be on the look out for some vega deals to heat my home again.

Mining with less then 4 cards to me is a waste of time. You get a couple rigs with 4-6 cards each that are reliable and just run 24x7 with out intervention and its pretty cool. A few months my rigs made more income then my wife who works part time as a nurses aid.

buttons, you just (without knowing it) answered the OP's question (it mirrored my own question regarding pricing (and stocking, for that matter) for sub-GTX1070 nVidia GTX 10 series cards - mining. Cryptocurrency has become the equivalent of a new hustle - which is why I only have theoretical interest in it.
I want decent performance in the games that I play - which is both CPU-dependent AND GPU-dependent. You don't want to stay behind the eight-ball at both ends too long - and that was the situation I found myself in after the last rebuild. The GPU in my sig today was simply to get out of that GPU-deficit I knew (with certainty) I was in in terms of my games - however, I had no idea exactly how big the hole I was in was, merely in terms of the GPU deficit. (It really did not help when everyone and their cousins was - and is still - saying Moar Cores - when a GPU may actually be the bigger (and in some cases, easier AND cheaper) upgrade.)

Going from DDR3 to DDR4 (which if you are running anything based on DDR3, but looking at a new CPU) is NOT a cheap move compared to a straight GPU upgrade. My minimum non-GPU wishlist (Amazon public wishlist) is - at minimum - $477.97USD. (It's a three-item list - CPU, motherboard, and memory.) By contrast - and despite mining craziness affecting prices - the GPU in my sig was one-third that. That replacing just one part can certainly make some significant improvements is not what I am disputing - the reality, however, is that it doesn't necessarily have to be the CPU, and especially when your CPU is in DST (Dead Socket Territory), which anyone running DDR3 is certainly in. (By the by, that list is based on Ryzen 5 - not Intel LGA anything.)

Mining is not something new and we saw the same thing in the 2010/2011 range before ASIC miners made GPU mining non-profitable. With the wide range of cryptocurrencies, primarily Ethereum in this case, GPU mining can (and is) profitable in many cases. The price rise in Ethereum is a huge driver in the AMD cards being sold out, both because it's profitable as is and with everyone hoping to preempt another price rise as we saw with BTC.

Back