Whats up with AMD Video Card Prices?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by ibex333, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ibex333

ibex333 Gawd

Yes, I know mining is supposedly awesome, but is it awesome enough to pay $350 for an RX480 used?

The gaming performance of this card is significantly worse than a GTX 1070 which can be had for less used.

I tried mining about a year or two ago, and I hardly made like less than a buck in the whole month. I was doing it properly, with a good video card for the time.

Seems like a waste of time and money to me...

Just how much money are people making these days with just ONE RX480 for example? Realistically?

2. hajalie24

hajalie24 [H]ard|Gawd

Ignoring electricity costs like $50-60 a month, though a GTX 1070 will get you the same.

3. ibex333

ibex333 Gawd

I do not pay for electricity in my building, but enduring a computer running 24/7 in my apartment for $50-60... I don't know... Maybe it's worth it, maybe not so much.

Still, why in the hell some people think they can charge $350 for the RX 480? That's just beyond me.The card simply isn't worth this sort of money when you consider the GTX 1070. No way, no how. No one in their right mind should pay over $250-270 for that card. A 1070 can be had for $300-320 used.

4. DirtyB

DirtyB Gawd

The market dictates the price, why sell something for $250 when you can get $350 for it? Also, please tell me about these 1070's for $300 I'd like to buy one.

5. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

If people are willing to pay for it, why wouldn't they sell it for that much? If you had a RX480 you were willing to part ways with, would you sell it for $180 when you know you can get $300? I highly doubt it.

Armenius likes this.
  6. celery952

celery952 n00bie

I dont know where you are seeing 1070s for that price but sign me up for 3!

Armenius and MrGuvernment like this.
  7. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardness Supreme

I'll take eight

Just bought a TB250 btc-pro motherboard with room for 12 cards connected via pci-e X1

Yeah 50 bucks a month might not be worth your time for a single rx480. But what bout running six or 12 of them? Could you use an extra $300 or $600 a month? What about if the value of the coin you are mining goes up -- and in six months the $300 you mined in now worth $2000 in that coin!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 9:07 PM
    celery952 likes this.
  8. KD5ZXG

KD5ZXG [H]Lite

Cause that $350 (including used 1070, I shelled out $365) can pay for itself in five or six months.
    Stores will only sell one or two per unsuspicious visitor. The rest have to come from elsewhere...

Not to worry you excessively, it all comes to a screeching halt when you get evicted for setting the
    wires in the wall on fire, or frying the air conditioner. There is a practical limit at about a dozen cards.
    Profitable, but definately not enough to pay the rent and quit your day job.

All the same, I don't think we should be supporting meth fueled card scalpers that empty every store
    in town. Inbreds, carnies, and the homeless in tow, with no intention but to mark up a price and make
    timely DOA returns impossible.

Toothless might be OK, but when they don't even have gums anymore, thats a serious problem...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 9:10 PM
  9. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

This should help you.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

10. rive22

rive22 [H]ardness Supreme

a year or two ago BTC prices were low compared to now. Mining BTC with a card is fruitless for sure. I've been out of the game a while but the only money in video cards was mining altcoins and then selling the altcoins for BTC, and likely very much still going on. The game was to create a new altcoin every week were difficulty is extremely low, mine a crap load of coins, pump them and dump them. That's how profits were made with video cards.

11. buttons

buttons [H]ard|Gawd

I had 10 cards this year mining, making a couple hundred a month after electric -- plus the free heat in a cold house. I went to newegg one morning to buy more RX480s and saw them out of stock. checked used prices on ebay and sold every one of them. Super nice, when i paid $169 brand new for most of them... October i will be on the look out for some vega deals to heat my home again.

Mining with less then 4 cards to me is a waste of time. You get a couple rigs with 4-6 cards each that are reliable and just run 24x7 with out intervention and its pretty cool. A few months my rigs made more income then my wife who works part time as a nurses aid.