what's up with 79xx prices?

FREDDIV

Weaksauce
I was just on Ebay and noticed that all the used 7950 and 7970 cards are selling for 400.00- 500.00 dollars. What gives? I just sold 2 Gigabyte Windforce 7950 cards for 240.00 each and felt that was a bordeline high price.

I like the 79xx cards but they just aren't worth 400.00 used.

I think its because of the bitcoin craze that has inflated the prices of those videos cards.

I would expect that would inflate the price a bit but some people are getting 600.00 for 7970 cards. I can't wait for this phase of the craze to die down and then pick up some cards at a reduce rate as people decide to get out of mining.

If you have any spare 79s now is the time to sell. People are going batcrap crazy buying them up. I would sell high as possible right now. Litecoining is drivin insane amounts of investments lol

With the relatively low cost of many nvidia cards I can afford to either wait the market out or wait for the supply to improve. I have never felt too strongly on either side. I have always gone with the best price/performance choices. It just seemed AMD was usually a better deal.

Holy crap! Seems like a good time to sell and buy a 290. Too bad I can't find non-reference coolers.

It always been safer buying AMD since 58xx cards as I think thats when all this bitcoin stuff started and it made reselling your used card easy and never losing to much value.. I can't say the same for Nvidia cards at holding value longer then an AMD card that mines.

I sell a lot of used equipment and have found nvidia to have a consistently good and stable resale value.... of course you won't be able to sell it for more than retail as the AMD cards are selling now but a good GTX 670 2gb can still bring 225-250 and 4 gb GTX 680s can bring 325-400 depending on the "flavor" (classified, windforce, DCUII OC)

I sold my 7950 for almost $400 just a few days ago. If you have one, SELL IT!!

Holy crap! Seems like a good time to sell and buy a 290. Too bad I can't find non-reference coolers.

I was in the same boat as you and ended up getting impatient and buying the reference cooler. Despite all the hype its actually very quite, and actually silent during normal operations. Only when you're playing BF4 maxed out does the sound pick up but its not too bad. And it gets the heat out of the case. I'm so glad I got a reference design!

I don't fully understand the logic of these cards going for so much when they can be purchased for sub 300 at retail. Could somebody explain?

I don't fully understand the logic of these cards going for so much when they can be purchased for sub 300 at retail. Could somebody explain?

Not in stock at normal $300 retail price.

I guess I should have held on to my 2 7950s and 2 7970s a few weeks more before I sold them.:( I could have gotten 100.00 dollars more each. Oh well.

Tempted to sell my 7970 I bought back at release, but the problem is what do I get to replace it? I usually only go for top cards anymore, and there's no 290s or 290xs in stock anywhere, and they're loud and hot, even moreso than the 7970. Nvidia cards are nice but the 780ti is 700 dollars. Just doesn't seem like there's much room to upgrade/it's not worth the hassle for such a small increase.

Now if I had a spare one I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

Tempted to sell my 7970 I bought back at release, but the problem is what do I get to replace it? I usually only go for top cards anymore, and there's no 290s or 290xs in stock anywhere, and they're loud and hot, even moreso than the 7970. Nvidia cards are nice but the 780ti is 700 dollars. Just doesn't seem like there's much room to upgrade/it's not worth the hassle for such a small increase.

Now if I had a spare one I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

A 780 oc'd is far far faster than a 7970 ;) and that's "only" (quotation marks around only) $500 for a custom-cooled version, minus whatever you consider the games worth for sale or use.

I'd keep the 7970 around and have it mine on an out of sight and out of mind second rig - and use those LTC funds to buy gadgets and PC upgrades on the "real" gaming rig. Mining doesn't really require a super fast CPU, so you could easily assemble an i3 or celeron based system to mine with using that 7970. That's what i'd do, of course i'm actively seeking a 280X for mining purposes and coming up flat! And the used market for 7970s is also a bust right now, since everyone is inflating the price. :(

Using LTC funds to buy a GTX 780....that could be an option if the 290/280 are out of stock.

This is my dilemma. I've got a pair of 7950s that I'm currently using (and loving) but the thought of selling both for almost $400 each and getting a strong single card solution is really tempting. If the aftermarket coolers for the 290/290x were out now, or if we had some kind of solid release date, I would sell my cards to the highest bidder.

This is my dilemma. I've got a pair of 7950s that I'm currently using (and loving) but the thought of selling both for almost $400 each and getting a strong single card solution is really tempting. If the aftermarket coolers for the 290/290x were out now, or if we had some kind of solid release date, I would sell my cards to the highest bidder.

This, or if the normal ones were even reliably in stock at regular prices.

I really don't think there's that much money to be made in mining, I honestly am of the complete opinion that it's going to bust and people won't get much out of it, atleast when it comes to litecoin. I'm not saying that to piss anyone off and in 6 months I could turn out to be wrong as possible, but using my card to "mine" enough coins to pay off a newer card just doesn't seem likely after reading about toughness increases and seeing how many cards are flying off the shelf. I may mine on my main computer at nights when I'm sleeping or whatnot and just see how many coins I can get with my card for now.

If I were to upgrade it would be a 290 or 290x/780ti. I'm not interesting in a normal 780 unless it's on sale for a super duper low price.

Still strongly considering getting rid of my 7970, but I may wait till next gen to get something new. Most games I play aren't super GPU intensive.

Edited to add: I do have a server that has a spare pci-express 3 x8 slot, I presume I could get one of those adapter cables and hook it up to the 7970 if I wanted to, but the power supply is only a 360 watt seasonic:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=313

I've never seen it spike over 70 watts usage but I have a feeling that card running at 100% constantly with an OC would be too much for it :p

Last edited:
Okay I'm definitely putting mine up for sale since the value is spiking right now(just saw two of the Sapphire 7970s at $780 on ebay) and buy some 780 Classifieds or 780tis.

Last edited:
9 euro cent per hour is the cost of electricity for me at night here. Why shouldn't I mine 8 hours a day at these prices? It seems like I can make something like 55 bucks a month if I mine 8 hours a day (I put in 250KH/s for my 7950) for free doing this? Litecoin seems to be booming right now?

I don't know too much about cryto currency. It seems like Litecoin is a whynot do it thing right now, would I be correct in saying this?

Sold both my 7970s for 400 each.... Going to hold off until after new years to see what becomes available in terms of aftermarket 780tis or 290xs

I saw 290's in stock at newegg last night but the price had jumped $50 buxs I guess to slow demand down and build stock back up.

It makes me feel better buying early for $386..

I saw 290's in stock at newegg last night but the price had jumped $50 buxs I guess to slow demand down and build stock back up.

It makes me feel better buying early for $386..

It makes me feel even better I only paid $365 for mine new from NE:D...

But the fact that I sold a Golden 7950 (1.325Ghz/7Ghz) with a Koolance full cover GPU block for $225 shipped less then 2 weeks ago makes me a sad Panda...:(

Looks like even 6950s are going for $180 plus. I was going to buy an extra one for $95 before i settled on the 290. Crazy.....

9 euro cent per hour is the cost of electricity for me at night here. Why shouldn't I mine 8 hours a day at these prices? It seems like I can make something like 55 bucks a month if I mine 8 hours a day (I put in 250KH/s for my 7950) for free doing this? Litecoin seems to be booming right now?

I don't know too much about cryto currency. It seems like Litecoin is a whynot do it thing right now, would I be correct in saying this?

Yes, but you may want to consider averaging out the sale of your proceeds.

This is typical bubble behavior. LTC has nothing to do with BTC yet its price is rising expressly because BTC has shot up and is difficult to mine without ASICs. One good analogy I saw is that LTC is like the other dotcom stocks that seemingly randomly shot up in value during the dot-com bubble. You will not have a gradual top and decline, it is usually a precipitously quick fall after an exponential rise in prices and perhaps some price consolidation.

I guess you really lose nothing aside from electricity costs if you aren't buying the coins with money though.

Yes, but you may want to consider averaging out the sale of your proceeds.

This is typical bubble behavior. LTC has nothing to do with BTC yet its price is rising expressly because BTC has shot up and is difficult to mine without ASICs. One good analogy I saw is that LTC is like the other dotcom stocks that seemingly randomly shot up in value during the dot-com bubble. You will not have a gradual top and decline, it is usually a precipitously quick fall after an exponential rise in prices and perhaps some price consolidation.

I guess you really lose nothing aside from electricity costs if you aren't buying the coins with money though.

I don't agree with that analogy. I don't think LTC is ever really going to go away like some of the other alt coins. It's the second largest coin and I don't think you'll see it plummet into obscurity anytime soon. If it does, BTC will also be worthless. If you were talking about FTC or "Hobonickels" or something a little more fringe, then yes, I'd agree with you.

I don't agree with that analogy. I don't think LTC is ever really going to go away like some of the other alt coins. It's the second largest coin and I don't think you'll see it plummet into obscurity anytime soon. If it does, BTC will also be worthless. If you were talking about FTC or "Hobonickels" or something a little more fringe, then yes, I'd agree with you.

As a true currency they are almost all useless right now. They were not well designed to be spent.

84 million total litecoins possible to mint right? better than the 21 million for bitcoin but still very bad.

Once they are mined to the point of excessive difficulty, the scarcity of new future coin causes liquidity and deflationary problems - people don't want to spend them as there's none left and the value creeps up. As a currency this is twice bad because it discourages consumption and is a fundamentally unsound price movement based on irrational behavior. A classic sign of this is a decrease in the money circulating in the economy caused by speculation and hording behavior. From a layman's perspective why would you spend something that is increasing in value over and over? The difficulty in converting them to USD (over 24 hours) adds liquidity risk too which you don't want in a currency.

As a currency they are stupid right now. As a speculative trading vehicle they are almost perfect for the moment due to volatility and fast price movements.

Considering the design though, I do not see any of this first gen of common cryptocurrencies really being terribly viable long term as a currency - built in long term deflationary behavior or an increase in scarcity is something you want in collectability, value investments, and stuff like that. You don't want it in your every day currency.

Dayummmmm!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
I can sell my Gigabyte 7950 Windoforce for over $400 now...??? WTF!!! I got it brand new for less than $300 last year... I may have to do that, and switch to GTX780 for $100 out the door... Ri-fucking-diculous!!!! :rolleyes:

Back