What's the word on Toshiba drives?

ScretHate

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I'm in the market for a new HDD and a 2TB Toshiba has caught my eye due to its low price. Problem is, I've never heard of a Toshiba HDD before and don't know much about their record. So, if you've had a Toshiba drive in past, what do you think about it? Would you recommend it? Do they have an insane failure rate or a bad RMA process? Let me know.

Thanks

they have been making drives for a very very long time. It seems the last few reviews i have read put them as solid drives.

Its what I have bought for my last 2 RAID5 arrays. This last go round I bought the 3TB drives. They were $10 cheaper then the Western Digital and have a 3 yr warranty vs 2 year warranty of WD. Then Microcenter let me add a 2 year store warranty for $10 each. So it costs the same as the WD's, but if they fail within 2 years I can walk into the store and exchange it. And after that I still 1 year with Toshiba

Sounded good to me.

Well here's what I get for giving Toshiba a chance. 50+ SMART errors while just trying to format the thing. What a POS. Now I get to pay return shipping to Newegg. Oh joy.

iUiq9ss.png

Well here's what I get for giving Toshiba a chance. 50+ SMART errors while just trying to format the thing. What a POS. Now I get to pay return shipping to Newegg. Oh joy.

It does not matter the brand. You will get DOA drives with all manufacturers even enterprise drives.

If you go by NE Toshiba drives have around a 40% 1 star rating.

They are using old tech and made in China.

Save a few bucks now and expect problems later.

Never bought Toshiba so no clue how many hoops their warranty is.

Is it decent or painful?

I don't know about their RMA process. I'm simply returning it to newegg for a refund. I'll probably end up getting a WD Black drive now.

There are plenty of horror stories here about newegg killing drives if they come from this or that warehouse. I'm in Europe so have never ordered from them. I'm interested in Toshiba drives but currently they don't provide RMA in Europe, only "go through your dealer", which I don't want to do.

If you go by NE Toshiba drives have around a 40% 1 star rating.

They are using old tech and made in China.

Save a few bucks now and expect problems later.

Never bought Toshiba so no clue how many hoops their warranty is.

Is it decent or painful?

They're using the same tech as the others since they literally got their 3,5" plant from them. What isn't made in China these days ? For HDDs it's either China or Thailand, where they have all those nasty floods that do great things to HDD factories.

I currently have 6 Toshiba drives (2TB and 3TB), and have had a favorable experience with them. A few months ago I ordered 2 3TB Toshiba drives from Newegg, and both were DOA. There were packaged like crap, and I completely blame Newegg for the DOA. Literally, the drives were in a static bag, wrapped in about 4 layers of bubble wrap, sitting side by side in a box. That was it. I know my UPS guy likes to drop packages on my concrete front porch, so I blame the packaging.

I have RMA'd those two drives to Toshiba, along with a Hitachi drive around the time of WD buying Hitachi and selling the consumer Hitachi drive dept to Toshiba, so I've done 3 RMA's with Toshiba. No questions asked, and I love their advanced RMA (put a hold on my credit card, send me a drive, once received I send my dead drive in -- or cross ship -- and the hold disappears). With the advanced RMA, I've had my replacement drives in 3 business days or less.

I've always been a fan of Hitachi drives, and that's basically what the 3TB (DT01ACA300) drives are, so I love them. I'm impatiently waiting for the DT01ACA400 drives (4TB...

The Toshiba drive I received was actually packaged very well. It was very snugly fit in the box in an air pocket encasement that seemed to be designed to carry harddrives.

The Toshiba drive I received was actually packaged very well. It was very snugly fit in the box in an air pocket encasement that seemed to be designed to carry harddrives.

Yeah....NE final got their act together in regards to packaging. I received a 1TB WD Black & it was packaged just fine.

I have only 3 Toshibas, no problems with any of them. One is a 120GB notebook drive, a second is a 1TB desktop bought late last year, and the third is a 5.25" x 3" 100MB built 25 years ago. It has 5 platters and 10 heads, one of them just for servo reading:

Zz2YeGk.jpg

Anecdotal I know but when I get a laptop in with a failing drive six times out of ten it will be a Toshiba drive.

I personally wouldn't use them myself.

Back