What's the sweetest spot for gaming the 4 6, 8, 12 cores? or 16 cores??

tecjim

n00b
What's the sweetest spot for gaming the 6, 8, 12 or 16 cores?? is the 5950x 16 cores futureproof for 5 years from now for gaming?? against 6 and 8 and 12 cores??

How many cores do generally ask for?

Can games play better at 8 and 12 cores than the six cores right now?

Do you think the eight cores from next year will be the standar in relation to the six cores?

Do you think the 8 and 12 and 16 cores from next year will be more demading and more recommended for new games? in relation to the 6 and 4 cores?

Hard to say. I think there are even some relatively contemporary games that don't think too much about cores at all.

You have to remember the target audiences. You don't want to release a game for PCs that requires a Threadripper, unless "no sales" is ok.

Edit: I could see 4 cores being the norm for a bit for the higher end adequate platforms. There's a lot of laptop gamers as well and you might get into clock issues causing decreased performance if the number of cores goes up (because laptops generally aren't meant to house high clock, high core cpus).

6 cores is the general minimum for a great experience, 12 and 16 cores will yield gains in some games, and i believe in 5 years from now you will need 16 cores/../

6 cores will be last for one year from now.. 8 cores will be last for 3 years max.. more games day by day, year per year will untilize 12 and 16 cores

so if someone wants future proof i believe 16 cores is the bet for this...

all the people say 6 core is ok for gaming.,. you dont need 8 or 12 or 16 core..
most peoply say 6 and 8 cores will be ok for the next 4 years,.
i dont believe it

i believe that 6 cores from the next year will be the minimum and 8 cores will be maxinum,,

more games slowly will come for 12 and 16 cores..

lets take example cyberpank i have seen in benchmark with 10900k and 6800tx that there is bottleneck from the cpu and not from the card 6800xt

but there is one question..

for 2018-2020 the games were ok for six cores .. but the question is do we know from the next year when will be more upcoming games if will be demanding in more than 6 cores./.??
because i believe from next year more games will be demanding in more than 6 cores./.

all the benchamarks that we have seen so far is based in games from 2018 and some from 2020 so ok 6 cores are ok now.. but 6 cores wll be ok from the next year???

I think 4 to 8 will be the norm for the next few years. 4 will be lowest common. 8 will be the new standard, PS5 and XboxXXX are both 8s. Maybe 12 to 16 will target enthusiasts.

Seem that for now, Multi Thread performance > core count, it is just that they are related, i.e. a 5600x will beat a 2700x in every game easily.

and i believe in 5 years from now you will need 16 cores/../
I doubt you will need a fixed amount of core, you will need a certain amount of multithread performance if game ever achieved to use 16 core maybe it would be achieved that way but the same result will be achieved with a new 8 core with similar performance I would imagine.

I feel there is a distinction between demanding x core or being able to take advantage of x core here.

Has for 5950x being better future proof for gaming, the question become at the moment a 5950x become significantly faster at gaming than a 5600x (if that ever happen), how much would it cost to buy a much better cpu, probably around the same price than the money saved by not buying the 5950x.

Match the consoles as a baseline and you'll be fine for their game development lifespan.

So if building today 8 core/16 thread since both PS5 and Xbox Series X are 8/16.

Match the consoles as a baseline and you'll be fine for their game development lifespan.

So if building today 8 core/16 thread since both PS5 and Xbox Series X are 8/16.
Yep, no sense in going higher than 8c right now unless you use your system for productivity and can use a higher thread count. 6c to 8c CPU's are plenty mainstream for almost any gamer.

While games are becoming increasingly multi-threaded, that doesn't mean that throwing more cores at the problem will make up for less single-thread performance. Games still benefit heavily from single-thread performance (even in situations where other cores are being used also), and that isn't going to change any time soon.

I still tend to err on the side of having more cores than needed, but trying to plan more than a few years out is rather silly. By the time games actually make effective use of any existing 16-core CPU, there will be 4-8 core CPUs out already that will outperform it because of the increased single-core performance. It would be like someone who bought a 16-core 1950x a few years ago expecting that those 16 cores would make the CPU future proof, when in reality, even the 4-core last-generation 3300x stomps the 16-core 1950x in most games now.

8 cores is a good baseline, because that is what the current consoles use. 12 cores gives you a few extra cores to work with. Not a bad idea considering computer gamers tend to have a lot more stuff running in the background while they game compared to console gamers. By the time you hit 16 cores, you're already way passed the point of diminishing returns, and extra un-used cores aren't going to help you.

IMHO, when talking about "future proofing", the idea of going "high" core "now" probably makes little sense when talking about "future proofing".

We're just not really "there" yet. So, any attempt to predict a coming high core count future will likely breed much disappointment 3 years from now.

Now, if you're spending thousands of dollars per year anyhow.... buy whatever you like because you'll just be buying over and over...

The fastest 6 core 12 thread cpu you can budget is the sweet spot IMO. How long it will hang in as such is unknown. I think by the time a lot of games need 8 core 16 core thread cpus the current 8 core CPUs will be old and slow by comparison. My 2c

Yeah, 8C8T minimum is needed going forward if you care about the smoothest experience.
Clock speed and IPC matter too, old CPUs could be a problem.

The correct answer is "an infinitely fast single-core".

Since we don't have that, you get into core/clock tradeoffs which will vary game by game. Some will love four fast cores, some will be faster on 8 slower ones, some might scale up to 12 or 16.

All this assumes no other bottleneck, of course.

As Gamers Nexus said in a private video (Patreon), 6 to 8 cores are enough for gaming for the next 2-3 years.
So yeah, you can buy more cores but the benefit is too small, better get a 6-8 core CPU and invest in the fastest RAM/Mobo/Video and optimize them.

Here is just an example of what can be done with optimizations or just throwing money into hardware:

FFXV Standard.JPG

Final_Fantasy_XV_Standart_17192.PNG

Back