What's the scoop on the celery D?

onetrueday

[H]ard|Gawd
building a system (low budget) for a friend and hoping to keeps costs below $200.

I was going to go AMD, but I'd perfer intel.

anyone have any experience with a celeron D? He currently has a celeron 733.

thanks

tom

I assume you're just upgrading? You can't beat an Athlon XP ... specially at that price range .
You're better off adding more RAM to that Celeron 733 and finding a 1Gig P3 ... if you're not going up to >2 Gig Celerons w/ P4 motherboard ....

primea said:
I assume you're just upgrading? You can't beat an Athlon XP ... specially at that price range .
You're better off adding more RAM to that Celeron 733 and finding a 1Gig P3 ... if you're not going up to >2 Gig Celerons w/ P4 motherboard ....

new gigabyte mother, 512megs oc ram and a celeron D 2.4

that was the upgrade I had in mine for him.

While it's no speed king, the newer "D" models are way faster in games then the older P4 Celeron's.

Not bad for a budget system, will be faster then the 733 it's replacing.

- Jim

Celeron D's rock... the D machine in my room is great and o/c's to 2.8 using stock cooling and guess what... an ECS MOBO!! Because of it, if you had a Deluxe or something, I am pretty sure you'll be getting near the 4 gig range. Just search for it on google.

Yeah, Celeron Ds are great. They have decent performance even at stock speed, are a relatively cheap price and they overclock like crazy.

Fry's has Celeron D 320/325 combos (retail processor + motherboard) for $59.99-$69.99 almost every week.

the frys combos are with ecs mobos tho -- I'd rather get a free pad of paper than an ecs mobo... at least the paper can be used for something :p

But yeah, the celery d's are respectable chips -- nothing like the el-crappo celery's that we've come to hate.

Why don't you look at an Intel mobo? That gigabyte is so meh.

In my own benchmarks, a celeronD is about 85% of a p4-E series at the same speed.

Anyone else concur/disagree?

I bought a 2.4D and simply changed the fsb and blammo, I had a 3.0D, no problems =)

Rob

HAHA, you say they suck heh... I *thought* that my max was 2.8 but looks like I'm wrong. I'm up to 3.51 guys, using stock voltage on my PC2700 ram... I have the pics to prove it but I can't upload them for some reason... Btw, my celeron D is up to FX-51 specs and passes 3.2 C's...

I've built a few low cost systems for people with Celeron D CPUs, and here's what I got:

Celeron D 320 2.4G, stock voltage, 39 degrees idle, 49 degrees load, made in the Phillipines. 3.1G stable. I've done three of these for the same result.

Celeron D 330 2.66G, stock voltage, 39 degrees idle, 51 degrees load, made in the Phillipines. 3.6G stable.

Celeron D 320 2.4G, stock voltage, 41 degrees idle, 51 degrees load, made in the Malaysia. 3.4G stable. It runs at 3.6G (That's a FSB of 200Mhz), but it's not that stable.

UnMinded said:
I personaly WOULDEN"T gp with celeron becasue they just all around SUCK.. they are chealy made and slow... If you are looking for good chip for low cost heres something i suggest, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-178&depa=1

I hate to be a spelling/grammar Nazi, but seriously...

Assuming "chealy made" translates into "cheaply made" in English, Celerons are coming off the same production lines as the mainstream chips. Not to mention that spending $120 on a CPU completely blows the top off a $200 budget. Personally, at this price-point I'd grab a Barton XP but, if you want to go with Intel, the Celery D is the only way to go.

I was doing research on them a few days back and found them to be quite a bit faster than AXP's when overclocked to 3+Ghz range

What kind of research put you at this conclusion? I'd wager an xp-m @ 2300mhz is gonna be faster than a celeryD at 3.0ghz, no?

Rob

Robstar said:
What kind of research put you at this conclusion? I'd wager an xp-m @ 2300mhz is gonna be faster than a celeryD at 3.0ghz, no?

Rob

It is, but I'm talking stock performance vs. overclocked celery
also, take cost into consideration

Robstar said:

Rob

For MPEG2 encoding a stock speed Celeron D 320 (2.66G) blows away an AMD XP3200+.

e.g. encoding speeds:
Celeron D 320 (2.66G) : 207seconds
AMD XP3200+ : 220 seconds

Source:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-d_13.html

For most other applications a Celeron D 320 (2.66G) overclocked to 3.6G is about even with an AMD XP3200+.

I wonder how hot these things are....
seems like a nice upgrade from a 1.6a...

KevC said:

I'm on a 1.8a. Prob is, I'd need to get a new mobo as well. Mine doesn't even support 533FSB

KevC said:

I have variously overclocked Celeron Ds (building for other people) and the highest underload temperature is about 51 degrees. (Prime95)

3 x Celeron 320 2.4G, to 3.1G (made in Phillipines)
Celeron 330 2.66G, to 3.6G (made in Phillipines)
Celeron 320 2.4G, to 3.4G (made in Malaysia)

All stable, stock fan and voltage.

I just built a box for my mom

ECS mobo / 2.66 Celeron D chip - 100 dollars shiped from ebay ( can't beat that )

and I have it running at 3.2 Ghz Stable for about 2 wks now on stock HSF heat doesn't seem to be a issue and it's good enough for her needs.

Just my 2 cents

Celery D's have a Prescott core, 533MHz FSB (A huge improvement for the Celery) and 256K L2. All around a nice leap from the older Northwood based Celery's in terms of performance potential. However it's still no Pentium 4.

The[H]uman said:

ECS mobo / 2.66 Celeron D chip - 100 dollars shiped from ebay ( can't beat that )

and I have it running at 3.2 Ghz Stable for about 2 wks now on stock HSF heat doesn't seem to be a issue and it's good enough for her needs.

Just my 2 cents

You got ripped. I bet that is the $79.99 Fry's special which I just got.

I assume you are hitting 165 MHz bus speed for that?

I've got a Deleron running on an el crapo ECS board.

Got the combo from Fry's
ECS mobo / Celeron D 320 (2.4 Ghz) chip - $69.99

I have it running at 3.2 Ghz Stable for the past month with a stock HSF running at 178MHz fsb on stock voltage. I just got a Zalman 7000A-CU because I couldn't stand the noise from the stock fan anymore.

I've got a mobile celeron (I think it's a willie) coming in that's 1.6. It has 256K and if it can do 133MHz would that be basically a 2GHz p4?

KevC said:
I've got a mobile celeron (I think it's a willie) coming in that's 1.6. It has 256K and if it can do 133MHz would that be basically a 2GHz p4?

a stock 1.6 mobile-chip is faster than a 2ghz p4, stock.

KevC said:
is this a celeron-m? if so, i hope you aren't planning on using it in a desktop board

The[H]uman said:

Just my 2 cents

i just finished my celly D system and i love it. i got a case/hard drive, fried mobo, and vid card for 50$ =)

Parts i baught new:

Intel Celeron D @ 2.4ghz
512 Kingston HyperX 2-2-2-5 running in dual channel [2x256]
Abit IS7-E Mobo
TT 420W Pure Power
MSI Ti 4200 oc to 300 clock/ 450 memory [came w. 50$ deal]
Philips Acoustic Edge Sound Card [came w. 50$ deal]
Western Digital 80gig JB[8 mg buffer] [came w. 50$ deal]

I have it running at 3.0ghz NO PROBLEMS. Its only behind the p4 in small amounts in gaming. It is the best value for an intel cpu. so in the end about 200$ got me this =) And i have the ability to upgrade to a p4 cpu in the future and i have sata raid/ usb2 .

FINAL WORD: NICE value gaming cpu!

The[H]uman said:

Just my 2 cents

That is indeed a nice overclock; however, let me ask you, why would you overclock your mom's PC? If she's anything like my mom, she won't notice the speed boost AND she'll just be madder when it dies sooner. Hopefully, your mom can appreciate the overclock for its inherent (sp?) value/awesomeness, though :D

insanarchist said:
That is indeed a nice overclock; however, let me ask you, why would you overclock your mom's PC? If she's anything like my mom, she won't notice the speed boost AND she'll just be madder when it dies sooner. Hopefully, your mom can appreciate the overclock for its inherent (sp?) value/awesomeness, though :D
unless he has raised the voltage, there should be no reduction in life what-so-ever. and unless he has raised the voltage a lot, there is still only a partial chance it will die sooner.

eco said:
unless he has raised the voltage, there should be no reduction in life what-so-ever. and unless he has raised the voltage a lot, there is still only a partial chance it will die sooner.

Hmmm... well, in that case, I will eat my hat, sir! :D

Seongmin said:
HAHA, you say they suck heh... I *thought* that my max was 2.8 but looks like I'm wrong. I'm up to 3.51 guys, using stock voltage on my PC2700 ram... I have the pics to prove it but I can't upload them for some reason... Btw, my celeron D is up to FX-51 specs and passes 3.2 C's...

umm... no offense, but a 32-bit celeron d at 5 ghz wouldn't be better than an FX-51. The architecture, the cache, and the pipeline make it impossible.

kidicarus74 said:
umm... no offense, but a 32-bit celeron d at 5 ghz wouldn't be better than an FX-51. The architecture, the cache, and the pipeline make it impossible.

I don't know about that. The 64bit part doesn't mean a damn thing in 32 bit processing. Which is basically everything. In some cases the 64bit processors suffer vs. their 32 bit counterparts in 32 bit processing.

The FX-51 is what around 2.0GHz? Clock for clock, the Athlon may get more done, but to say that a 5GHz Celery couldn't beat it is unrealistic. A Celeron D is basically a P4 Prescott with less cache and HT disabled. The bus speed would be a bottleneck, but the way Prescott scaled after 3.6GHz or so makes it faster than a Northwood at those speeds. When a 3.6GHz Prescott with 1MB L2 isn't super far off from the FX-51 in terms of performance and may beat it in certain applications I'm pretty sure a 5GHz Celery would rape an FX-51. If it didn't I'd blame the weak ass 533MHz FSB.

But forget it. A 5GHz Celery won't happen with the Prescott Core. It runs too hot and Intel's even scrapped the 4GHz chip in favor of larger cached processors. So the argument is kind of moot point. I just think your being unrealistic.

went with the 2.4 celeron D and an abit is7 mobo.

VERY impressed considering the price.

Stop dissing the ecs boards, I've bought a couple of the frys combos with 848p-a, a celeron 2.4 ghz that does 3.5 prime stable (better memory/PS would probably do even more). And a 2.4 ghz p4 prescott that does 3.7 ghz prime stable and runs as high as 3.94 ghz both are running at stock voltages on the ECS board.

Socrilles17 said:
Stop dissing the ecs boards, I've bought a couple of the frys combos with 848p-a, a celeron 2.4 ghz that does 3.5 prime stable (better memory/PS would probably do even more). And a 2.4 ghz p4 prescott that does 3.7 ghz prime stable and runs as high as 3.94 ghz both are running at stock voltages on the ECS board.

it's not that they're slow.... ecs sucks because their QC is so horrible and failure rates are extremely high...

ummmm no, there QC is just fine, its the fools who buy the boards, I've gone through at least 20 frys combos without an issue, and many report the same, its just a reputation kind of like AMD processors had for a while

I would do with an AMD sempron, those chips are pretty cheap.

Socrilles17 said:
ummmm no, there QC is just fine, its the fools who buy the boards, I've gone through at least 20 frys combos without an issue, and many report the same, its just a reputation kind of like AMD processors had for a while

you like ecs? Yeah, good luck with that, I guess.

Back