What's the reputation of PowerColor cards?

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey peeps,

I have the opportunity to local get a Powercolor 6700 XT Fighter, but I am concerned that there aren't alot of reviews on google about this. So now I am resorting to brand reputation, and I'm not sure how great PowerColors are. There is this article on WCCF Tech about Powercolor having a really high RMA rate on the 5700 line, but that's just one article, and last gen to boot.

He did say that the card is 10 days old, from a pre-built system, and I would be given a receipt/invoice. If this allows me to RMA it, if need be, then I am feeling alot better.

Lay some knowledge on me peeps!

they seems fine to me but havent had one their cards since amd 7000 series. i dont think that receipt is gonna help much if its a pull...

I have three being two RX 570 and one RX 580 and all are still rolling along .

ATI/ Powercolor relationship is a decade old and half or more now. My 6900 by power color is awesome as well as several others over the years. Just not a lot of talk about them on the net it's usually a good indication.

My 280x is still running. It did finally essentially die a few weeks ago but I put in the oven and has worked since...

My 280x is still running. It did finally essentially die a few weeks ago but I put in the oven and has worked since...
saved that first post for a special occasion eh?! ;)
baking didnt save my 280x, but im pretty sure i heard it pop before i tried. :(

op, if youre not getting scalped, id grab it.

They're solid cards from what I've seen over the years. They've actually been producing AMD/ATI cards for ~20 years all the way back to beloved 9800 Pro days.

I have 3 of their cards running in my lan gaming rigs. Two are 6950s and one 7970, with no problems over many years.

they seems fine to me but havent had one their cards since amd 7000 series. i dont think that receipt is gonna help much if its a pull...
Explain this. If I have a receipt and an invoice, why would powercolor not honor the wtty?

Explain this. If I have a receipt and an invoice, why would powercolor not honor the wtty?
Prebuilt: you'll probably have to go through the system builder to get warranty support. Had that issue with my brother's 3070. Went through Cyberpower to get a new card. Cyberpower dealt with Asus on their own once they determined the card was bad and my brother was sent a new card from Cyberpower's stock.

because its pulled from a prebuilt and probably isnt transferable. if prebuilt = bought whole or oem like it usually does. and what igl00 just said. if its in a system, you have to go to the builder and if the system wasnt sold to you, they might not warranty it.

So would I have to pretend like I am the org. buyer? Create a new email with very close to his name? Because PC's site already said the wtty stays on the org. owner

So would I have to pretend like I am the org. buyer? Create a new email with very close to his name? Because PC's site already said the wtty stays on the org. owner
lol good luck with that. if you buy it, you dont have warranty unless either company decides to be reeeaaal nice. it should be considered "used and as-is".

I have that specific card, as well as the 5700xt version. My impression of it is that it's a cut-down, budget oriented version of the card. I like their 6800 models because the coolers on those are beefy and work very well while still being cheap, but the 6700xt / 5700xt one I'm more leery of. I've had to RMA my 5700xt once already and after getting it back it died again immediately. RMA support took about 45 days the first time but I didn't have any issue RMAing a card with them under a different name (a relative bought me one of the cards and I RMA'd it under their name but it was my name on the package that was sent to them). For playing games they're probably fine but not the best in terms of headroom for overclocking due to thermals, and for mining I'd try to find something else if possible. My 6700xt is doing fine and the memory temps are much better than on the 5700xt (76C in a warm room, 43MH/s on ETH, slightly below ideal settings to keep temps down) but I'm not getting the same performance you might get out of other cards (47MH/s or so).

If you did have to RMA it under his name with the receipt provided that wouldn't be a problem most likely, but their RMA department will probably ship the replacement card to a hold for pickup location near your address such as a local CVS of FedEx pickup location and they generally ask for ID. I had the tracking number and it was a relative so I didn't have an issue with the name on the package not matching my ID, but I imagine this could be a problem depending on who you get.

Ugghhh. Why do I feel like its going to RMA in my face and then i'll be out a stable card.

Are there any GPU manufacures that offer a wtty on the card?

Ugghhh. Why do I feel like its going to RMA in my face and then i'll be out a stable card.

Are there any GPU manufacures that offer a wtty on the card?
Not sure but if you have a microcenter nearby they'll usually replace your card same day while they handle the RMA for you.

but then I would have to pay for it full retail, which is something i am avoiding. Yes, i am trying to have my cake and eat it too

they all do, when you buy the card by itself new, with a receipt with your name on it. prebuilts are warrantied by the builder.
No having a wtty thats on the card means it can transfer to multiple people. Powercolor has it on the org. buyer only

No having a wtty thats on the card means it can transfer to multiple people.
Powercolor has it on the org. buyer only
thats not how it works.
that is how it works.
only one i know of the USED to be transferable is evga but they stopped when they stopped offering lifetime warranty.

I see. Well I guess I am going to have to take my chances on it. Him showing me the receipt and proving its brand new certainly helps though.

I've used PowerColor before. They are fine.

The resale value can be less, as they are not as popular a brand, but the cards themselves are good quality.

Turns out this was all for naut. The moron said he misread the card, it was actually a 5700xt, not a 6700xt.

4 real?

The moron said he misread the card
tenor (1).gif

I've had very good experiences with Powercolor, although the last card I had was a dual 395x Red Devil. They tend to have good designs and beefy coolers on their higher end models.

This was a while back, but they quickly replaced a 5800 LCS card that had bad VRAM.

Well, as Bill Bailey said, "Well that was a long walk down a windy beach to a café that was closed".

My radeon 9700Pro by powercolor was still working fine after over 7 years of usage.

I recall talking the local pc shop into giving me a free boxed copy of neverwinter nights with the purchase, I may still have both somewhere ...

Back