Whats the problem not using stock HSF

niceplace

Weaksauce
Why does using a different HSF void the amd processor warranty. I can see that some people do daft things and somebody could maybe even try to run the cpu with no HSF but why this blanket ban. You could have built a system not for its performance but for its silent running, but your stuck with something that could be the noisiest part of the system.

Because AMD can't certify every heatsink for every processor. What if someone slapped a heatsink for a K6-2 on an Athlon XP (and yes, they will fit). It's not AMD's fault that their processor exploded :p

How does AMD know?

Don't tell me they run off the honor system...

Theres a little chip in the bottom portion of the AMD heatsink, when it detects that it's been running for a certain time, at a certain temperature it will communicate with the processor. If something happens to the processor, and you RMA it.. when they put the chip in, the "used authentic AMD heatsink" flag will be checked and they'll help ya out.

:D

Danith said:
Theres a little chip in the bottom portion of the AMD heatsink, when it detects that it's been running for a certain time, at a certain temperature it will communicate with the processor. If something happens to the processor, and you RMA it.. when they put the chip in, the "used authentic AMD heatsink" flag will be checked and they'll help ya out.
maybe that's why i always use the cpu with the stock sink for the first couple days and then switch it over to water :D

Na thats a joke init,init.

penguin, i can see what you mean. So ok, why not have a list of approved HSF,s that can be used instead.

Ive thought about the question how do they know if youve been using there HSF and i think the dust would be a bit of a give away.

Surely that chip in the heatsink cant be true, can it :eek: :p

Back